2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

A lot of people are morons and of course the parties know this.  
I've worked out my top three for tomorrow and I know who is going last but in-between is a bit of a free-for-all.  I've mentioned on here a couple of times that there's an independent running in my ward who has done no campaigning and doesn't even seem to exist.  Where do I rank him?  Last or not at all?  Or do I just assume he isn't quite as bad as my least favoured candidates and bite the bullet and put him higher up?
Above the Tories. f**k the Tories.

7 minutes ago, Adamski said:

Probably already been posted, but still…

A wonderfully-named SNP candidate in the ward next to where I live. He’d probably fit right in on here.

1BEE4668-F4B5-4F19-AB29-7BB3818B184E.jpeg

Hope he’s called his kid Road.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

A lot of people are morons and of course the parties know this.  

I've worked out my top three for tomorrow and I know who is going last but in-between is a bit of a free-for-all.  I've mentioned on here a couple of times that there's an independent running in my ward who has done no campaigning and doesn't even seem to exist.  Where do I rank him?  Last or not at all?  Or do I just assume he isn't quite as bad as my least favoured candidates and bite the bullet and put him higher up?

On the theory that candidates who can't get organised enough to send flyers out would make rubbish councillors, I'd put him just above the ones who you think would do actual harm if given the opportunity.

2 hours ago, Adamski said:

Probably already been posted, but still…

A wonderfully-named SNP candidate in the ward next to where I live. He’d probably fit right in on here.

1BEE4668-F4B5-4F19-AB29-7BB3818B184E.jpeg

Is that Craig Ross boy the one who was challenging Humza Yousaf to a pressup competition at the last election before getting kicked out the Conservative Party for having a go at food bank users?

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Is that Craig Ross boy the one who was challenging Humza Yousaf to a pressup competition at the last election before getting kicked out the Conservative Party for having a go at food bank users?

It is indeed.

Quite the c**t, even by tory standards.

That Craig Ross seems an odd type. I don't know what I've done to be subjected to seeing his stuff on Twitter. I legitimately thought he was one of those parody accounts like Barry Stanton for a good 10 minutes first time he sprung up. 

Did he try and get elected as an MSP last election? 

1 minute ago, Adamski said:

It is indeed.

Having a wee look at his twitter account just now - he's an absolute maniac. Got as far as him saying that slavery wasn't that big a deal because only a few people got rich off it and gave up.

He also mentions his PHD in politics an awful lot. 

It is indeed.
Indeed. He got 26 (TWENTY-SIX) votes after the Tories emptied him and he stood as an independent [emoji23]

Apologies if this  has been asked earlier in the thread.

My ward has 2 SNP (getting my vote) an Independent, a Labour, a LD and three Tories.

Is is better to ignore the parties you detest or better to give actually them very low ranking votes? I'd feel dirty giving the red and blue tories anything at all.

4 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

My ward has 2 SNP (getting my vote) an Independent, a Labour, a LD and three Tories.

Is is better to ignore the parties you detest or better to give actually them very low ranking votes? I'd feel dirty giving the red and blue tories anything at all.

I looked into it a bit and I don't think it makes much difference. I ended up numbering them all, 1 - 9, just so the candidate I disliked the most would know where he stood.

7 hours ago, red23 said:

Lot of people who don't understand that local council elections have utterly nothing to do with national politics and independence.

That'll be why national parties put up the vast majority of candidates and celebrate their gains the day afterwards then. 

Meanwhile, back in the land of reality, an election is about whatever the f**k a voter decides it is. Which includes giving any national government of the day a shoeing, if that's their sentiment at the time. 

The idea that having Tweedle Dum is going to make a substantial difference to Tweedle Dee at local council level is for the vast majority of voters an irrelevance. 

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I looked into it a bit and I don't think it makes much difference. I ended up numbering them all, 1 - 9, just so the candidate I disliked the most would know where he stood.

Unless you have zero preference then is it not better to rank them?

In the ward I live in there’s four parties that I would normally not consider voting for, but I’d prefer three of them to the Tories so I’m going to find a way to rank them with the Tory at the bottom of the pile.

6 minutes ago, Adamski said:

In the ward I live in there’s four parties that I would normally not consider voting for, but I’d prefer three of them to the Tories so I’m going to find a way to rank them with the Tory at the bottom of the pile.

There's a saying "vote till you boak", which means you should rank them until you despise the remaining candidates equally, and then you can leave them blank. 

27 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Assuming that the Independent isn't an absolute roaster, and that you think a red tory is better than a blue tory, the best strategy would be to vote Snp 1, Snp 2, Independent 3, Labour 4 and either leave 5, 6 & 7 blank or rank the Tories 5, 6 & 7 from least worst to worst.

Both would have practically the same effect - you wouldn't ever be voting for a Tory in the first scenario, and you would only be picking one tory over another in the second scenario, as all other candidates would have been elected or eliminated first.

Edited by lichtgilphead

26 minutes ago, Adamski said:

For my ballot I ranked the liberal last and for all the patient's papers I gathered from the care home, I alternated between liberal and the toly candidate for the last loser