2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Prof Emla Fitzsimmons is at it too.   

"We measure their wellbeing levels, of depressive symptoms, of how they're feeling, their levels of anxiety and so on. And we tend to see they're also doing worse - also on that dimension," said lead researcher Prof Emla Fitzsimons, from the Institute of Education.

The difference appears to be the greatest among teenage girls:

• Of girls in a family with two parents in a stable relationship, 22% had high levels of depressive symptoms
  • For girls living with a single parent, this rose to 27%

But how sure can researchers be, given the many financial challenges a single parent household faces?

Prof Fitzsimons said: "There is still a difference between the outcomes of children born to single-parent households, versus married or cohabiting, even when you taken into account they tend to be from poorer homes."

The academics say these are average findings across large populations, not a judgement on any individual parents.

Must be a bigot.

51 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Prof Emla Fitzsimmons is at it too.   

Must be a bigot.

So children from two parent families, of whatever gender or sexuality, are 5% less likely to show symptoms of depression than one from a single parent family, before discounting the economic disadvantages of only having one potential earner. You've certainly nailed the case for voting Scottish Family Party!

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So children from two parent families, of whatever gender or sexuality, are 5% more likely to show symptoms of depression, before discounting the economic disadvantages of only having one potential earner. You've certainly nailed the case for voting Scottish Family Party!

I honestly thought you guys would go down the route of rubbishing the academics themselves, but cherry picking one stat in an attempt to demean the figures really is scraping the barrel.

Anything but accept the results and conclusions from the academics, which are unequivocal.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

15 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

cherry picking one stat

That was the only stat you offered in your quote! :lol:

P.S. I edited my reply to correct it.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was the only stat you offered in your quote! :lol:

P.S. I edited my reply to correct it.

It was one stat amongst many in the reports/studies in question.

The fact you chose to home in on it, rather than the unequivocal conclusions of the academics (which I've also quoted) and other stats in the reports/studies, show that you've lost this one.

Even the sarcastic notion that I'd 'nailed the case for voting Scottish Family Party' was disingenuous.

In short, probably best you just give up :)

8 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The fact you chose to home in on it, rather than the unequivocal conclusions of the academics (which I've also quoted) and other stats in the reports/studies, show that you've lost this one.

Even the sarcastic notion that I'd 'nailed the case for voting Scottish Family Party' was disingenuous.

In short, probably best you just give up :)

It was the one stat you chose to quote! :lol: 

In short, probably best you just give up [emoji4]
The only one you quoted you moron

On 22/04/2022 at 15:40, welshbairn said:

They're big in Fife, 14 candidates, only 3 in the Highlands with the same number of wards. 

JFC did they exhume some graves to get those candidates? 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The only one you quoted you moron

My BBC article quote also includes links to the report which contains other stats, and conclusions of the academics, all of which WelshBairn has chosen to ignore, despite them being highlighted to him.

He, as I said, has cherry picked and homed in on this one particular stat, which backs up my assertion anyway, albeit not hugely significantly.

Instead of admitting to being wrong, which would be the big and manly thing to do, he is continue to peddle this diversionary claim.

I won't be responding to your childish insult, and can't imagine why anyone would think it'd give their position more credence anyway.  It actually does the opposite.

On 23/04/2022 at 22:39, Duries Air Freshener said:

My BBC article quote also includes links to the report which contains other stats, and conclusions of the academics, all of which WelshBairn has chosen to ignore, despite them being highlighted to him.

He, as I said, has cherry picked and homed in on this one particular stat, which backs up my assertion anyway, albeit not hugely significantly.

Instead of admitting to being wrong, which would be the big and manly thing to do, he is continue to peddle this diversionary claim.

I won't be responding to your childish insult, and can't imagine why anyone would think it'd give their position more credence anyway.  It actually does the opposite.

But what does the SFP think about XXX tentacion mate?

Got a third glossy A4 leaflet from Labour with no mention of the ward or even the Highlands or the name of the candidate. All I can find out about the candidate is from his facebook page which still reads ShaunForWesternIsles2021 when he's supposed to be standing in Inverness West and can't be bothered to send out anything to say what he's about. We got our postal votes out a fortnight ago, how he expects us to think he'd make an effective councillor when he can't even get it together to put out a flyer or even something on social media is beyond me. Maybe Labour are just nominating ghost candidates to make it look like they're standing in every ward.

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I suggest you contact them to ask.

I think he would have fit right in with his old school disciplinary methods towards people and in particular women who disagreed with him. Although there was a strong suspicion that he was actually gay so that might be a problem. Having said that his fans tend to be simpletons so the base messages would resonate with them. 

ETA had to change the tense of a couple of things as he is after all, still very, very dead.

Edited by cb_diamond

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I think he would have fit right in with his old school disciplinary methods towards people and in particular women who disagreed with him. Although there was a strong suspicion that he was actually gay so that might be a problem. Having said that his fans tend to be simpletons so the base messages would resonate with them. 

ETA had to change the tense of a couple of things as he is after all, still very, very dead.

With all due respect, I have no idea what you're talking about :)

Just now, Duries Air Freshener said:

With all due respect, I have no idea what you're talking about :)

You should look into him, in fact there's a hilarious thread on the site that will fill in the blanks for you. Albeit you should be pre warned that the guy who started it and provided most of the posts on it had truly terrible patter and was prone to emotional breakdowns and the type of hissyfits normally associated with young teenagers. To the point his hysterics actually got him banned from an online forum. 😂😂 What a VL! Amaright?

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

You should look into him, in fact there's a hilarious thread on the site that will fill in the blanks for you. Albeit you should be pre warned that the guy who started it and provided most of the posts on it had truly terrible patter and was prone to emotional breakdowns and the type of hissyfits normally associated with young teenagers. To the point his hysterics actually got him banned from an online forum. 😂😂 What a VL! Amaright?

You are aff yer nut :D

Hopefully someone else knows what you're on about and you can continue the conversation with them.

On 22/04/2022 at 15:40, welshbairn said:

They're big in Fife, 14 candidates, only 3 in the Highlands with the same number of wards. 

I'm not sure having Peter Tobin in your team is going to win you votes, but what do I know?