2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

So Sarwar ruled out coalitions with the SNP but his Labour councillors are happy to jump into bed with the Conservatives? That's definitely a good look...

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

So Sarwar ruled out coalitions with the SNP but his Labour councillors are happy to jump into bed with the Conservatives? That's definitely a good look...

SLab's leadership have spent years making it abundantly clear that they consider Scottish independence to be far worse than the persecution of the poor and vulnerable. In fact, I don't think we've established anything that they consider worse.

We've had a thread with the title 'what is the point of Labour' for years now. The answer appears to be that they're the new Lib Dems - the home for protest votes when the Conservatives misjudge public opinion/stop giving even the slightest of shits. None of the floating voters actually care what their policies are.

On 15/05/2022 at 10:20, Albus Bulbasaur said:

You mean the British government. 

Quite a telling slip though. 

Your ideas on how to achieve Independence are beyond idiotic and don't seem to have any rational or logical thinking behind them. 

No, I mean the English government.  Don't know what you mean by a telling slip, maybe an accusation of xenopobia?  If so you are wrong in that assumption, I like English people.  If I am wrong in my assumption, then I am sorry. 

Although we are part of a union, the sheer population size of England means that it leans towards England and as such makes decisions that can be against Scottish interests. 

My ideas on how to achieve Independence are the same ideas that every other country in the world has gained it's Independence.  Which has been by a majority of it's members of parliament seeking to become independent, campaigning on that and when elected declaring Independence. 

Scotland somehow has to be different though. 

Looks like Edinburgh will be going the way of Fife with a Labour minority admin if the Lib Dems and Tories vote for them rather than an SNP/Green council.

But no Labour coalitions remember (despite one being formed in D&G with the SNP).

Edited by Ginaro

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Looks like Edinburgh will be going the way of Fife with a Labour minority admin if the Lib Dems and Tories vote for them rather than an SNP/Green council.

But no Labour coalitions remember (despite one being formed in D&G with the SNP).

Though saying all that, it appears the local Labour party hasn't actually agreed to the deal or something, and some Cllrs are not happy about siding with the Tories (which they need as Lab+LD isn't enough). Meanwhile the SNP/Greens have published their coalition deal. Would need abstentions from Labour to see them gain control.

On 21/05/2022 at 22:21, TheScarf said:

Sarwar is a bigger Tory than most Tories.

Yup, up & down the country Labour and doing deals with the Tories at council level, fair enough but don't let me hear Sarwar saying "get on with the day job" about the SNP cos it's clear that Labour are just as focused on "that issue" despite AFAIK there not being that much between them on economic & social issues.

8 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Jesus that letter is incredible. They're really showing their colours after losing local support in certain areas. 

How dare anyone else form a council! 

Aye, the tears and snotters are funny, but it's a bad move from Labour, who will almost certainly lose votes in the future because of this.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Two Cllrs abstained so more Lib Dems voted for the Edinburgh Labour administration than actual Labour Cllrs.

Labour voters in Edinburgh must be delighted to reunite with the other cheek of the arse. 

"Labour in Edinburgh - helping Tory councillors into office when the voters voted for eight fewer of them." 

Believe in Labour, your trustworthy Party. We'll do anything to create a local council working for the good of all residents*.

Just last month:

ANAS Sarwar has defended his decision to rule out formal coalitions with other parties after next month’s local elections – insisting it will bring an end to “party political stitch-ups”.

* Not just to keep SNP out, no siree.

45 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Believe in Labour, your trustworthy Party. We'll do anything to create a local council working for the good of all residents*.

Just last month:

ANAS Sarwar has defended his decision to rule out formal coalitions with other parties after next month’s local elections – insisting it will bring an end to “party political stitch-ups”.

* Not just to keep SNP out, no siree.

Anything to keep the SNP out is welcome in my eyes.

They are toxic.

Generally I think that having a go at local councillors for choosing to work with other local councillors on local issues is a bit silly. Where I live has a Tory led administration but they've actually given SNP and pro Indy councillors good positions in the interests of achieving better representation for all of the area. Apparantly it's the first time in a while that the council has been so collaborative. I actually know the leader and he's a thoroughly good man. He's a Unionist which doesn't really matter on a local level and as a Unionist i wouldn't ever think to criticise him for working with the opposition when it comes to local matters.