2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

52 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s true but only up to a point.  England as a whole is now firmly established as a right of centre country.  I think Labour would pick up votes if they were more dynamic on left wing policies but for every vote they gained they’d risk losing another.

I don't think England's much further right than Scotland or Wales. Labour don't even need to be particularly left wing, just occasionally disagreeing with harmful austerity policies would help. 

32 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I get the impression there's a lot of posters on here that would prefer Boris Johnson in charge rather than Keir Starmer because of their Indy fantasies.  

They seem to actually get annoyed when Keir does well and use the same attack lines that Tories do. Very sad to see some people putting their Nationalist views ahead of soft social democracy. 

If only ‘soft social democracy’ was on the table.

UK Labour just offer more of the same Toryism in a slightly politer tone.

f**k ‘em.

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't think England's much further right than Scotland or Wales. Labour don't even need to be particularly left wing, just occasionally disagreeing with harmful austerity policies would help. 

I would say that the rejection of Tory policies in Scotland is clear evidence that Scotland is further to the left than England.  I would further suggest that given that 1955 was the last GE where the Tories got a higher proportion of the vote than a perceived left of centre alternative and, subsequently, a left of centre alternative, then this has been the case for the lifetime of most posters on here.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Doubt the SNP are thrilled at these results. Labour probably win a few more central belt seats on these sorts of trends and the rise of the Greens may be more problematic in a FPTP context in future than it has been in the past.

Yeah, the SNP gaining more seats than anyone else has probably led to mass depression in their ranks.

28 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I get the impression there's a lot of posters on here that would prefer Boris Johnson in charge rather than Keir Starmer because of their Indy fantasies. 

I don't know about a lot, but it goes back to the other thread and the paradox.

37 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

They seem to actually get annoyed when Keir does well and use the same attack lines that Tories do. Very sad to see some people putting their Nationalist views ahead of soft social democracy. 

I know you're only engaging in some playful trolling, but Keir isn't really doing that well and given that the SNP are probably to the left of Labour, you could make that argument for a pretty big chunk of both the English electorate and the 'unionist vote' in Scotland.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, the SNP gaining more seats than anyone else has probably led to mass depression in their ranks.

Is it not their best ever local election result too?

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I would say that the rejection of Tory policies in Scotland is clear evidence that Scotland is further to the left than England.  I would further suggest that given that 1955 was the last GE where the Tories got a higher proportion of the vote than a perceived left of centre alternative and, subsequently, a left of centre alternative, then this has been the case for the lifetime of most posters on here.

I said they weren't much further to the right. Being more right wing is implicit in that. 

On most left/ right issues it's a difference of a couple of percent. That's enough to swing a fptp general election. 

33 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I don't know about a lot, but it goes back to the other thread and the paradox.

I know you're only engaging in some playful trolling, but Keir isn't really doing that well and given that the SNP are probably to the left of Labour, you could make that argument for a pretty big chunk of both the English electorate and the 'unionist vote' in Scotland.

I think he's doing well. Much more of a slow burn but I think he's making the right inroads and maintaining a persona that will eventually result in Labour winning. 

I'd disagree on the English voters thing. I don't think they're fuelled by Nationalism anywhere near to what the SNP are. Don't thing it's a left or right wing argument. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

When was this?

TBF he does do pretty well in the actual Westminster hurly-burly. Bodies Johnson every PMQs. The problem is nobody watches it, the media doesn’t report it so to all intents and purposes it’s irrelevant. Which is why we shouldn’t give a shiny shite about any party that’s stated aim is to keep Scotland in that system when the only way Starmer actually does lay a bit of glove as far as results are concerned is when the Tories make an even bigger ripsnorting c**t of it than usual. 

8 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I think he's doing well. Much more of a slow burn but I think he's making the right inroads and maintaining a persona that will eventually result in Labour winning. 

He has the persona of a melted ham. He's made inroads (gaining Mayfair and losing Hull suggests they're not in the optimal places though and actually plays in to the hands of the Tories 'metropolitan elite" attack lines) only due to an unprecedented Tory clownshoes performance.

16 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I'd disagree on the English voters thing. I don't think they're fuelled by Nationalism anywhere near to what the SNP are. Don't thing it's a left or right wing argument. 

Idk brother. We've just had years of a very nationalist driven Brexit discourse and the former leader of the opposition slated daily for not being patriotic enough.

Something irritant to the SNP is that three of the top Labour targets in Scotland at the next GE are held by controversial SNP figures (The two Alba defectors Hanvey and McAskill, and Margaret the covid spreader)

Obviously they will all be punted in favour of new candidates anyway, but their behaviour won’t have done the SNP’s reputation any favours in these areas and indeed it looks like Labour were at least neck in neck with the SNP in those areas this Thursday. I’d bet that Labour have a great chance to gain those 3 seats (it held all 3 pre-2015 and again from 2017-2019) 

32 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

English Britnat doesn't see Britnattery in the English. Colour me surprised. 

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:
They’re so bitter emoji23.png 

The irony of SLab calling another party a branch office.

Anas aspires to lead a branch office. He’s manager of an Accounting Unit.