2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

A United Ireland referendum relies on the NI Secretary, basically the UK Government, thinking it is likely to succeed. There is no process listed for this, so I doubt the Tories will be calling one soon. 

Surely it's a bit more complex from a ROI perspective than NI voting for a united Ireland, and ROI just going 'mon in then'?

Is there even a majority in ROI in favour of a united Ireland? A few ROI residents I've spoken to want absolutely no part of the sectarian shitshow in the North.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tories losing a seat in Dalgety Bay Inverkeithing and Aberdour. Lol.

And in Rosyth, both to the SNP. Be interesting to see if they can continue holding on elsewhere or if the Lib Dems/Labour will take some off them.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Surely it's a bit more complex from a ROI perspective than NI voting for a united Ireland, and ROI just going 'mon in then'?

Is there even a majority in ROI in favour of a united Ireland? A few ROI residents I've spoken to want absolutely no part of the sectarian shitshow in the North.

The last thing the RoI needs is 1,800,000 bolshy northerners, about half of whom wouldn't want to be there.

The political classes and the elite would have a shit fit if reunification was voted through, they haven't a strategy in place for it, far less want it.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Glorious.

If the Tories end up with nothing in The Ferry, we truly are through the looking glass. It'll be a while before we get there though...

I'd be surprised if that happened, tbh. Like Fraser Macpherson in the West End, Derek Scott is popular locally. 

Edited by The Master

17 minutes ago, The Master said:

SNP - 2 (nc)
LAB - 1 (nc)
LD - 1 (+1)
IND - 0 (-1)

Dundee council leader back in. Lib Dems picking up the retiring Lord Provost's seat.

SNP - 2 (nc)
LAB - 2 (nc)

Went to school with that Lib Dem councillor. Absolute fucking oddball. Remember he did his work experience in the school library and just substituted his school tie for a normal one and went around demanding kids hand books back.

Takes a special sort to become a Councillor.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The last thing the RoI needs is 1,800,000 bolshy northerners, about half of whom wouldn't want to be there.

The political classes and the elite would have a shit fit if reunification was voted through, they haven't a strategy in place for it, far less want it.

Pretty much what I suspected then. Seems on the face of it a nice, heart-warming romantic idea, but the reality would be an unpopular, unworkable mess that would likely descend into bloodshed and mayhem

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Burgon is amongst the best that the Labour left have to offer then they are fucked.

He's not the best public speaker, but he seems (on anecdotal evidence) to be a pretty good constituency MP and has maintained his stance while on the back benches. He's more of a long-term asset to the Party than LBC Look-at-me Lammy, that's for sure.

My concern about Labour in England is that making big gains in London and kind of stalling elsewhere will just make them more entrenched in London, more Londoncentric, and less willing to put together a compelling narrative for challenging London's dominance and actually 'levelling up' (rather than just talking about it, like the Tories). This has been a problem for successive Labour leaderships, though - not just this one.