2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

99% of the time, for Independent, read 'Tory too embarrassed to say they're a Tory' IMO.

Edit - Certainly in Inverness anyway.

Edited by TheScarf

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’ve counted no fewer than half a dozen Tories on BBC1 claiming that partygate hasn’t been an issue on the doorstep and that the cost of living and other issues have dominated. That’s fine, but if the Tories get their expected kicking, does that mean they fucked up on those issues too? 

Every single party that was about to take a hiding in an election has given it the, "well, you might very well think that <x> is important, and that we're going to get our arses kicked because of it, but we're hearing on the doorsteps that <y> is the primary concern with voters".

It's always either a whopper told as a comfort blanket to deny reality, or it hasn't occurred that the only people willing to talk to them would be voting for them anyway. Maybe try counting how many doors were slammed in your face and count those as a 'no', eh?

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

In private they will be disappointed about how they are doing in the North of England and the Midlands.

It seems to be the Greens and the Lib Dems who are doing well there - Labour still have an issue with Brexit-voting working class voters.

They appear to have the same issue as here - people voted them for generations, and are now wondering what good it did them.

Still doesn't explain the shift from a party that (so goes the argument) did nothing, for one that has actively worked to make life worse for people on lower incomes for decades. Perhaps it's the abused dog mentality of, "if I'm a really good boy, maybe Daddy won't beat me today".

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Every single party that was about to take a hiding in an election has given it the, "well, you might very well think that <x> is important, and that we're going to get our arses kicked because of it, but we're hearing on the doorsteps that <y> is the primary concern with voters".

It's always either a whopper told as a comfort blanket to deny reality, or it hasn't occurred that the only people willing to talk to them would be voting for them anyway. Maybe try counting how many doors were slammed in your face and count those as a 'no', eh?

MPs, MSPs, Cooncillors and activists should be made to wear bodycams. For their own protection in these troubling times but mainly so we can verify what the tories are hearing on the doorstep. As I suspect they hear "of course we expect the PM to get on with the job of delivering for the British people" rather less than often than "get yourselves fucked you despicable fucking c***s."

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The tories being absolutely flayed in England though it looks like the Lib Dems and the Greens are the major beneficiaries so far.

They've lost about 20% of their councillors with half the councils having declared. 

Worth keeping in mind the horrendous Electoral performance of the Tories at the last election. Johnston appears to be less popular than May when she was on her last legs.

7 hours ago, jakedee said:

Just heard a Tory using the term "beergate" to describe the "chugging of beer scandal" by Sir Keef on the BBC election programme.

This makes Starmer sound 50 X more interesting than he is. Probably sips beer and winces 

Anyway, I see Bristol voted to abolish their elected mayor.  One my favourite things in politics is when proposals for elected mayors, regional devoution and all that stuff gets resoundingly defeated at the ballot box.  When New Labour came to power they had all these plans to introduce regional assemblies and all sorts of stuff, John Prescott was put in charge of it and the first vote for teh North East they lost 75-25 so they sacked the whole idea.  Very amusing.

Edited by ICTChris

Just now, ICTChris said:

The attempt to make 'Beergate' a scandal is hilarious, a load of puffy old media duffers trying to make something happen but failing.

Unfortunately, enough of the target audience will probably hear that this is an event of similar magnitude to the government routinely ignoring their own rules during lockdown because, y'know, it obviously only applies to the proles.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The attempt to make 'Beergate' a scandal is hilarious, a load of puffy old media duffers trying to make something happen but failing.

It honestly past me by as a story but having not read up on it. Bars and restaurants were open when he was claimed to have had a curry and a beer. Also they claim they spend £200 on curry for dozens of people which doesn't seem like very much at all.

Anyway back to the local elections, Professor Sir John saying the Tories are remaining in a stronger position the further north you go, let's see what happens when they cross the border.

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

It honestly past me by as a story but having not read up on it. Bars and restaurants were open when he was claimed to have had a curry and a beer. Also they claim they spend £200 on curry for dozens of people which doesn't seem like very much at all.

Anyway back to the local elections, Professor Sir John saying the Tories are remaining in a stronger position the further north you go, let's see what happens when they cross the border.

The curry and a beer thing is hilarious load of shit stirring. Problem is it works, and flag twitter believes it. 

I think the north of England is harder for Labour, due to Brexit - it's not quite the indy to SNP losses but similar. The Tories have been helped by the UKIP'r and Brexity types backing them and not splitting a vote - a few years ago the Tory losses would be greater.  

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Tory meltdowns all over the shop.

I'm pretty sure a concrete pillar killed Diana, m8.

6 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Tory meltdowns all over the shop.

How on Earth did that conversation start? Did somebody accuse him of having something to do with it?

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’ve counted no fewer than half a dozen Tories on BBC1 claiming that partygate hasn’t been an issue on the doorstep and that the cost of living and other issues have dominated. That’s fine, but if the Tories get their expected kicking, does that mean they fucked up on those issues too? 

Surprised they didn't try and deflect on Ukraine. 

They've also been very fortunate that the weird local authority system in England didn't land for them on a bad year. A lot of councils don't have elections at all as they are on "all out" elections and it isn't their turn, whilst many only have a handful of seats up for grabs because you end up voting three years out of four or some nonsense. Labour were actually defending a lot more seats than the Tories.