2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Very small sample size but around 25% in person turnout near the middle of Aberdeen (also PC today). Surprising/dispiriting lack of awareness how STV works with many.....

4 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

Turnout at my polling station was 57.4% if anyone is interested

An excellent turn out. Fair play for doing the polling station I did ,2 elections the 2019 as Clerk and 2021 as Presiding officer and got pretty annoyed at it :lol:

Didn't realise until I was in the booth with the paper in front of me that Labour couldn't even be bothered to field a candidate.

Not that they were getting my vote anyway, but the option would have been nice.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Some expert analysis here. Much insight. Not Scotland but thought I’d share

Has party gate gone under a rebranding excersize or have a missed another Westminster scandal?

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

Has party gate gone under a rebranding excersize or have a missed another Westminster scandal?

It’s someone taking the piss out of the bullshit a Brexiter posted about a (clearly fictional) blind 91-year-old allegedly shouting, “how do I vote OUT” in the polling station in 2016, only to receive cheers.

I’m guessing this person is making fun of how insignificant Starmer drinking beer during lockdown is by parodying how Brexiters just made shit up to support their stance on 2016’s referendum day.

Ballots in Ayr are always quite bland with a lack of small and/or loony parties running. Very little canvassing going on as well.

I had a despairing choice between 2x SNP, 2x Tory, 1x Lab, 1x Lib and 3x Ind.

Considered the independents but 1 was an ex-MSP with previous for ridiculous expenses and some dodgy goings on, 1 was quite clearly a shy Tory and the other just seemed like an arsehole.

So it was a spoilt ballot for the first time ever. Never felt so rebellious.

I’ve counted no fewer than half a dozen Tories on BBC1 claiming that partygate hasn’t been an issue on the doorstep and that the cost of living and other issues have dominated. That’s fine, but if the Tories get their expected kicking, does that mean they fucked up on those issues too? 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’ve counted no fewer than half a dozen Tories on BBC1 claiming that partygate hasn’t been an issue on the doorstep and that the cost of living and other issues have dominated. That’s fine, but if the Tories get their expected kicking, does that mean they fucked up on those issues too? 

Just seen one Tory now claim that people have no trust in the PM to tell the truth, and that he expects the chair of the 1922 committee to receive at least 54 letters and start the process to get him shifted. Says he's not sure if the pro govt bootlickers will rally around him again or if it's knives out.

Back in't studio the Tory pundit reiterated it was all about cost of living and the economy and nothing about Boris or partygate. Which in itself is obviously a bare-faced lie. Tick fucking tock.

The tories being absolutely flayed in England though it looks like the Lib Dems and the Greens are the major beneficiaries so far.

They've lost about 20% of their councillors with half the councils having declared. 

5 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Ballots in Ayr are always quite bland with a lack of small and/or loony parties running. Very little canvassing going on as well.

Considered the independents but 1 was an ex-MSP with previous for ridiculous expenses and some dodgy goings on, 1 was quite clearly a shy Tory and the other just seemed like an arsehole.

So it was a spoilt ballot for the first time ever. Never felt so rebellious

I know which ward you're talking about. Same one as me 🙂.  

There is a Scottish Family Party candidate in one of the neighbouring wards, Be interesting to see if he breaks double figures.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The tories being absolutely flayed in England though it looks like the Lib Dems and the Greens are the major beneficiaries so far.

They've lost about 20% of their councillors with half the councils having declared. 

Despite the shoeing they've taken Jenrick is spinning this as a disappointing night for Labour. Which outside of London seems fair. But then Jenrick is an Olympic-class arse-licker desperate to get back in to government. 

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Despite the shoeing they've taken Jenrick is spinning this as a disappointing night for Labour. Which outside of London seems fair. But then Jenrick is an Olympic-class arse-licker desperate to get back in to government. 

I do love a bit of spin. He might want to talk to the former leader of Carlisle City Council after the Tories took a doing in in the new Cumberland Council. He didn't miss and hit the wall.

Clearly not the spectacular result Labour would have hoped for in quite a few areas (Hull being the perfect example) but I'd rather be in their shoes than the Tories.

1 minute ago, RedEd said:

I do love a bit of spin. He might want to talk to the former leader of Carlisle City Council after the Tories took a doing in in the new Cumberland Council. He didn't miss and hit the wall.

Clearly not the spectacular result Labour would have hoped for in quite a few areas (Hull being the perfect example) but I'd rather be in their shoes than the Tories.

Oh sure the expectation and message management is off the scale. Dowden spinning himself up to 10,000 rpm on Sky.

In private they will be disappointed about how they are doing in the North of England and the Midlands.

It seems to be the Greens and the Lib Dems who are doing well there - Labour still have an issue with Brexit-voting working class voters.

6 hours ago, eez-eh said:

So it was a spoilt ballot for the first time ever. Never felt so rebellious.

More variety than I had. My ward has 1 Lib Dem, 2 SNP and 2 tories. That was it. 

In private they will be disappointed about how they are doing in the North of England and the Midlands.

It seems to be the Greens and the Lib Dems who are doing well there - Labour still have an issue with Brexit-voting working class voters.
If Labour can't make massive gains with this most open of goals, Starmer needs binned.