2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

Is it not the case that ranking the Tories last on your list is better (for the world) than not ranking them at all? I'm sure i read somewhere that was the case.

So long as you number all the candidates above them I don't think it matters.

9 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

You'd think, but the checkers are definitely saying it's numbers not a cross.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Campaigning-under-the-single-transferable-vote.pdf

p.18:

A ballot paper with a cross for one of your candidates and no other mark on the paper will be a vote for that candidate only.

In other words, a single cross will be accepted as being the same as a 1 and only a 1. 

I mean, someone once had a vote counted in their favour when a voter drew a cock and balls clearly in the box. If they’ll accept that, they’ll accept a single cross. 

Edited by The Master

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The intention is clear if there's only one "x", I'd hope they'd accept it.

Hopefully it gets chucked for being an ignorant fud who has had countless years to work out how the voting system works, and then struck off the register. 

If we had done that in the year when every boomer didn't know how to follow basic instructions to cast two votes at the same time, we would have got the correct outcome in 2014. 

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Rees-Mogg coming to Edinburgh on polling day after calling Ross a lightweight is surely the biggest intra-party "know your place peasant" delivered in history. 

He knows how to appeal to Scottish voters. 😮

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

In other words, a single cross will be accepted as being the same as a 1 and only a 1. 

The whole STV system is a ranking of candidates. I get that one X shows intent but it also shows the person hasn't understood the system. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I am not confident in my artistic abilities so I just wrote NO in every box.

MaP8KT.gif

It's highly promising that, more than two months since this thread began, we're still debating whether or not it's better to rank every single candidate than to just rate the guys you'd be OK with winning.

Also, are the council allowed to release a cock 'n' ball diorama to the public? I'd like to know if there's correlation between artistic talent and actually bothering to get off your arse and cast a vote for local government.

Edit: scenes if the Electoral Commission decide that drawings of genitalia can be considered to be a vote for Alba  :o

Edited by BFTD

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Not suggesting anything or who it might benefit (particularly since this press conference isn't all economic sunshines and rainbows) and I doubt it will effect your decision on potholes, but is the BoE raising interest rates on polling day not a bit odd? 

Oops.

29 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

The whole STV system is a ranking of candidates. I get that one X shows intent but it also shows the person hasn't understood the system. 

And they ranked the candidates to exactly the same degree as anyone who only put a '1'.

The vote will be counted.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Nope. The BoE is in charge of these decisions precisely to take such an important tool out of governments who were previously using it to manipulate voters.

Thanks professor I was aware of the BoE's independence. I do think tho that a recession warning at exactly the point people are putting pencil to ballot paper is unusual and very unhelpful for the tories, which suits me. 

All hail the revolution! - I went independent, TUSC, Green as my first three preferences and then Tories second last and the ghastly pro-smacking, anti-Naked Attraction Scottish Family Party last.

The independent was a few years above me in school.  I didn't think I voted for him in the school Battle of the Bands in 2004 but I gave him my vote today!

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Edit: scenes if the Electoral Commission decide that drawings of genitalia can be considered to be a vote for Alba  :o

Unfortunately Alba weren't standing in my ward as my original plan was to draw a cock and balls next to each candidate and a note for the Alba guy to inspect them.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Hopefully it gets chucked for being an ignorant fud who has had countless years to work out how the voting system works, and then struck off the register. 

If we had done that in the year when every boomer didn't know how to follow basic instructions to cast two votes at the same time, we would have got the correct outcome in 2014. 

^^^ can't count to 23. Or 15, if we just mean local votes.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Here, our recycling bins get lifted every 4 weeks. My bin for cans etc. is full after two and a half so I end up putting them in black bags and taking them to the dump. 

do you have a problem you want to talk about?

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Tbf its probably the first promise/policy I have seen come through my door for about a decade from the tories rather than ‘SNP BAD’ so progress in that sense. The council posts on fb regardless of context will always descend to quite aptly a bin-fire of comments regarding waste collection. Its always the general waste one though apart from charging extra for garden waste now, I now just don’t bother  collecting my grass cuttings, f**k the system.

You want one of these babies..

41qFEDsao5L._AC_SL1280_.jpg.3a2dce0d16e41c3f0aab1d0e951049e0.jpg

55 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Interest rates have sat at almost 0 for over 10 years now.

They should historically be at about 5% and will presumably go back there at some point.

It's alarming for everyone who bought a mortgage when the interest rate was 0.1% yet the banks charged 40x the BoE rate, I look forward to the BoE rate returning to 5% and lenders setting their rates at 200% interest. The greedy money grabbing b*****ds.