2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

In the last week or so I've had stuff in the letterbox from the SNP, Labour and the first leaflet from TUSC.  Also had another from the Tories whose candidate this time doesn't mention moving the railway station and building a road through it and is now talking about building a seafront park on the wasteland looking onto the Moray Firth between the Caley Stadium and the retail park.  This park of course would be literally about two miles from the nearest houses, constantly absolutely baltic even in summer and a real faff to get to.

22 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Had Willie Rennie at the door this afternoon, campaigning with the local Lib Dem candidate. I’ve no idea who to vote for, but was refreshing to hear him only talk about local issues, when a lot are still campaigning on national issues.

Think the Lib Dems could do well, only had local stuff direct from the candidate, no mention whatsoever of the double barrelled tosser or the Uk party. I missed it if the Tories are campaigning at all, and Labour just sent anonymous stuff about energy price caps and the like, I suspect the candidate doesn't even live in Inverness and is a ghost candidate so it looks like they have a candidate in as many wards as possible.

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

In the last week or so I've had stuff in the letterbox from the SNP, Labour and the first leaflet from TUSC.  Also had another from the Tories whose candidate this time doesn't mention moving the railway station and building a road through it and is now talking about building a seafront park on the wasteland looking onto the Moray Firth between the Caley Stadium and the retail park.  This park of course would be literally about two miles from the nearest houses, constantly absolutely baltic even in summer and a real faff to get to.

Did you get anything about the Labour candidate and Inverness or just generic national stuff?

Where I live I've only had a leaflet from a Tory candidate- one of these appalling Brideshead Revisited candidates who seems to think posing with a Golden Retriever and looking serious by some litter will get people to forget the appalling Tory-Labour stitch up locally.

That said all of the "local" candidates are about as appealing as a damp evening in Magnitogorsk. Spoiled ballot it is.

Very little through the post & no visitors at my door yet. I've got a postal vote, so the only information I have on most of them is the "Meet your council candidates" 150 word statements in the local paper.

Here's what the local Labour candidate had to say

Even with her complete lack of engagement, I still ranked her one place above the Tory (they were 8th & 9th out of 9)

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 20.28.06.png

Edited by lichtgilphead

Think the Lib Dems could do well, only had local stuff direct from the candidate, no mention whatsoever of the double barrelled tosser or the Uk party. I missed it if the Tories are campaigning at all, and Labour just sent anonymous stuff about energy price caps and the like, I suspect the candidate doesn't even live in Inverness and is a ghost candidate so it looks like they have a candidate in as many wards as possible.
Over in Westhill, we had one leaflet from the Tories weeks ago which didn't mention a thing locally. Still that is more than Labour where we have had nothing. Their candidate must be purely a paper based one.

As it stands, Ken Gowans and Duncan MacPherson are assured of my top rankings. Thereafter, it's pretty thin gruel as Labour, the Greens and the Tories can't be arsed, the Alba candidate is too busy fighting genital wars and the Lib Dem hasn't put in huge amounts of effort.

Are the Lib Dems the only ones who actually ‘get’ that local elections should be about local issues?

I suppose the people standing must know what they are doing. Maybe the parties they represent have realised that the majority of the electorate aren’t that engaged and will usually just vote for the party they usually vote for.

14 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are the Lib Dems the only ones who actually ‘get’ that local elections should be about local issues?

I suppose the people standing must know what they are doing. Maybe the parties they represent have realised that the majority of the electorate aren’t that engaged and will usually just vote for the party they usually vote for.

The Lib Dems realise that local councils might be the only place where they have some relevance so push it for all it’s worth.  FWIW I doubt if they have relevance even at that level.

On 26/04/2022 at 19:33, Highland Capital said:

Even less so now there is already the new waste transfer place getting built there.  

On 26/04/2022 at 21:31, BucksburnDandy said:

Over in Westhill, we had one leaflet from the Tories weeks ago which didn't mention a thing locally. Still that is more than Labour where we have had nothing. Their candidate must be purely a paper based one.

As it stands, Ken Gowans and Duncan MacPherson are assured of my top rankings. Thereafter, it's pretty thin gruel as Labour, the Greens and the Tories can't be arsed, the Alba candidate is too busy fighting genital wars and the Lib Dem hasn't put in huge amounts of effort.

Got one from the Tory a couple of days after I'd sent off my postal vote, 2 weeks after it arrived. How these people think anyone would have confidence in them being efficient and hard working councillors if they can't make the minimum effort to get elected is beyond me. 

Edited by welshbairn

Only now has my brain clocked that the schools being closed on Thursday is because of this. 
Do they still use schools in some areas. Pretty much stopped that and moved to sports halls and community centres here a few years back. It's nowhere near as close as the school was but it stops schools having to close at every election.

They are also often 2-faced hypocritical wanks when it comes to local issues.

If there's a local bandwagon you can guarantee the Fib Dems will be scrabbling to jump on board.

23 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Don't know about anywhere else. But so concerned about local issues, they didn't bother with a local manifesto in the Highlands.

Libdems, just seem the most opportunistic to me. Say the right thing, in the right place to get elected.

The Lib Dems realise that local councils might be the only place where they have some relevance so push it for all it’s worth.  FWIW I doubt if they have relevance even at that level.
This. Angus's lib dem binned them and went "independent" (the one who assaulted women at a committee meeting but got allowed back [emoji58])

Surely posters on here are old enough to recall Clegg et al propping up the Tory government whilst selling out their own manifesto promises.

That’s all you need to know about LibDems at any level.

Surely posters on here are old enough to recall Clegg et al propping up the Tory government whilst selling out their own manifesto promises.
That’s all you need to know about LibDems at any level.
I wasn't overly interested in politics back then. Was it true that the useless c***s voted through Welfare Reform in return for the carrier bag charge?