2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

6 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'll be voting SNP, Green, Independent, Labour, Lib Democrats, Conservative in that order. 

I don’t have any Lib Dems or Independents but I do have a UKIP and an Alba one. I’m not really fussed what party they are with. I just want to know what they are going to fix - roads, drainage, parks, etc. If the answer is ‘f**k all’ then I’m going to end up disappointed.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I used this link, then googled the names if there was no info. I'm tempted to ignore anyone who hasn't issued a leaflet or at least made a statement online, if they can't be arsed doing that before the postal votes arrived then they're probably disorganised and/or lazy so would make rubbish councillors. Only heard directly from 3 out of nine candidates so far, apart from generic national party stuff that goes straight to recycling.

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/

That site reveals that the Family Party candidate in my ward is also running in Aberdeenshire.  Is that allowed?  Unless it's someone with the same name I suppose.

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

That site reveals that the Family Party candidate in my ward is also running in Aberdeenshire.  Is that allowed?  Unless it's someone with the same name I suppose.

Keeping it in the family? 

On 17/04/2022 at 16:20, oaksoft said:

Ah, the old "everyone else is doing it so it must be right" argument.

Haven't heard that for a wee while. 🤣

what city on implementing the congestion charge has seen increased traffic levels?

what city admin has raised no extra money to speak of on introducing the congestion charge? 

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Jesus Christ that Alba PPB was horrendously amateurish.

It was better than the one where Angus MacFadyen does the Braveheart thing while folk run about the hills with Saltires.

To be fair I was talking to the wife when it came on and she had me Googling Salmond to see if he was the leader, so I didn’t actually listen to it. 

I still have Alba ranked above the (reckless) Tories, UKIP and Labour. 

Edited by Scary Bear

The only flyer I have seen which addressed local Ward issues was a Lib Dem lady in Stockbridge who talked about pedestrian crossings, drainage issues, roads, tenement issues, etc. which are relevant to the people in that ward.

She would get my vote if she stood in my Ward.

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Alba person in mine is called Uche Gladys Emordi 

She seems to be the HR manager in a bar: Mrs Uche Gladys Emordi (De Icons Lounge Resturant & Bar Ltd) - Director Profile - Endole

I have nothing else.

Company registered this year with £1 share capital.  I always start my hospitality business with a quid.

7 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Apparently the Scottish Family Party are standing a candidate called James Demare Christie in our ward. No photograph, no e-mail address, no statement, no information................no f*ck all.

Interesting strategy to break into local politics.

That's standard, isn't it? There's always at least one candidate with absolutely no discernible information whatsoever.

Considering the "Family Party" are a bunch of retrograde chancers, it makes sense that they'd have the same presence as your average independent; known in their own street and nowhere else.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/20/housing-crisis-and-ferries-nightmare-in-focus-in-north-ayrshire-elections

"On Sunday, engine failure on Arran’s largest car ferry, the MV Caledonian, which links the island to Ardrossan on the mainland, caused the latest instance of what are repeated ferry delays and service cancellations. On Tuesday, holidaymakers booked on the Caledonian were advised by the ferry’s operator, CalMac, to drive 125 miles to use an alternative car ferry from Kintyre."

We've been lettered that as the three candidates in our ward are standing unopposed there will be no ballot, polling places will be closed and no postal ballots sent out. Surely the electorate still have the right to register disapproval of the candidates via spoiled ballot papers?

35 minutes ago, sfha said:

We've been lettered that as the three candidates in our ward are standing unopposed there will be no ballot, polling places will be closed and no postal ballots sent out. Surely the electorate still have the right to register disapproval of the candidates via spoiled ballot papers?

Not in our system (at the moment.) 

The sole purpose of an election is to see who fills the vacant place/s. Spoilt papers are only relevant in as much as they don't count towards any candidate's vote total.  If folk are worried about candidates being elected unopposed, the solution is in their own hands - stand for election!