2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Douglas Ross says council tax cuts are part of 'exciting' Conservative plan". 

From State sanctioned ethnic removal to council tax cuts, the Tories offer something for everyone.*

*Everyone that's heartless, cruel, self-centred, and is gullible enough to think a Tory government (and enablers) actually give a shit about anyone not in "their" circle.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You've got plenty time on your hands, you should stand as an independent next time around, I'm sure you'd get everything sorted in a jiffy.

1. Tax cuts for Oaksoft
  2. Absolutely nothing to happen that would inconvenience Oaksoft in any way, shape, or form.
  3. Everyone else can GTF.

TBF, I'd think about giving him a fourth or fifth preference vote if he'd agree to go back to bitterly raging about lazy paupers, his own family, and the human race in general on a regular basis. That shit was amusing, at least.

Can only recommend that people rank every single candidate on their ballot paper and "vote till ye boke". Yes, even if that means ranking your least preferred candidates from "least worst" to "very worst". My (limited) understanding is that if you only rank your preferred candidates and leave the rest blank, it is then assumed they're all given a "joint-last" score. 

You know, for the first time in a long time, I was very ready and open-minded to hear what "Scottish Labour" had to offer in these council elections, but they appear to continue to go down the road of taking the Scottish electorate for absolute fools and promising things they cannot possibly deliver at a local level. They're only showing themselves to be the Scottish branch-office of the what-is-now, "British Brexit Labour Party" and therefore, I cannot in good faith give them a vote in my top 4 or 5.

So disappointing that they refuse to listen and to learn from their past mistakes. 

6 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Can only recommend that people rank every single candidate on their ballot paper and "vote till ye boke". Yes, even if that means ranking your least preferred candidates from "least worst" to "very worst". My (limited) understanding is that if you only rank your preferred candidates and leave the rest blank, it is then assumed they're all given a "joint-last" score. 

You know, for the first time in a long time, I was very ready and open-minded to hear what "Scottish Labour" had to offer in these council elections, but they appear to continue to go down the road of taking the Scottish electorate for absolute fools and promising things they cannot possibly deliver at a local level. They're only showing themselves to be the Scottish branch-office of the what-is-now, "British Brexit Labour Party" and therefore, I cannot in good faith give them a vote in my top 4 or 5.

So disappointing that they refuse to listen and to learn from their past mistakes. 

Detailed explanation linked below, according to which "vote till ye boke" means when get down to such a level of vileness you can't split them apart you leave it blank. That's what I'll be doing.

Basically, keep giving preferences until you get to candidates you absolutely cannot stomach and can’t pick between. This approach is often referred to as “Vote til you Boke.” Even if you don’t like a candidate, if you’d prefer to see them elected ahead of someone else, give them one of your later preferences.

https://ballotbox.scot/councils/stv-explained

On 05/04/2022 at 09:02, Highland Capital said:

I'm in Inverness Central and can't find anything about this independent candidate Luigi Andrew MacKinnon.  Doesn't seem to have any form of social media and even a Google of his name doesn't bring up anything.

We're now only two and a bit weeks away from the election and I still can't find anything about this candidate.  From what I see there's no social media, no leaflets or posters up and again Googling his name and variations of it doesn't seem to bring up anything.  It's almost like this candidate doesn't even exist.  Is it really that common for someone to put their name forward and then seemingly do absolutely no campaigning whatsoever?

Also, I see the former MSP Chris Ballance is running for the Greens in Loch Ness & Aird again.  They've been represented by the independent Margaret Davidson for years but she's retiring.  The Greens sometimes do quite well in these more rural areas so it'll be interesting to see if he gets any traction this time.  The incumbent councillor Emma Knox is running for the SNP there again but her Twitter name and handle is "Emma Knox 4U" which makes me cringe.  I noticed her in the election last year getting quite annoyed when folk were telling her that voting SNP on the list was a largely a waste of time.

Edited by Highland Capital

Just now, Highland Capital said:

We're now only two and a bit weeks away from the election and I still can't find anything about this candidate.  From what I see there's no social media, no leaflets or posters up and again Googling his name and variations of it doesn't seem to bring up anything.  It's almost like this candidate doesn't even exist.  Is it really that common for someone to put their name forward and then seemingly do absolutely no campaigning whatsoever?

Had nothing yet from most of my candidates. Out of the 3 independents google tells me that one is a campaigner for better pavements etc for wheelchair users so he'll be high up in my ranking, the other 2 get null points, ones an anti public art campaigner "wot about the potholes!' twat and another's a golf w****r, President of Torvean, now Kings Golf Club who wangled millions out of the Council and delayed the bypass for a year, meanwhile junior/NCL level football gets fuckall support. Rugby golf and cricket is all the council seems to think about so we don't need another c**t arguing for them. Got the postal vote last week, pretty well made up my mind and can't be arsed waiting for them to tell me what they're about, if they can't be arsed getting a leaflet together in time for the postal votes they'd likely make shite councillors anyway.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had nothing yet from most of my candidates. Out of the 3 independents google tells me that one is a campaigner for better pavements etc for wheelchair users so he'll be high up in my ranking, the other 2 get null points, ones an anti public art campaigner "wot about the potholes!' twat and another's a golf w****r, President of Torvean, now Kings Golf Club who wangled millions out of the Council and delayed the bypass for a year, meanwhile junior/NCL level football gets fuckall support. Rugby golf and cricket is all the council seems to think about so we don't need another c**t arguing for them. Got the postal vote last week, pretty well made up my mind and can't be arsed waiting for them to tell me what they're about, if they can't be arsed getting a leaflet together in time for the postal votes they'd likely make shite councillors anyway.

You sound really positive and optimistic.

A glass half full sort of guy.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

31 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You sound really positive and optimistic.

A glass half full sort of guy.

Yup, youve got me to a tee! Got some very decent candidates at the top of my list, just eliminating the also rans at this stage.

Edited by welshbairn

There is no Green candidate in my area, so I'm trying to figure out if the two independent candidates are sane enough to rank 2 & 3.

One of them at least seems to have some sort of campaign and she seems reasonable enough, despite not appearing to have any policies.

https://scontent.fgla1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/278412030_115359664472221_9027725460350738462_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=PpDI8Abg0nAAX_-Y36x&tn=Nivm69Gq6M9XQm5P&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8F94IKL0LN94R5jefTvswcH5PeSAqIt7JawEs3pS917g&oe=626276AF

The other independent appears to have zero online presence.

On the surface, the Alba candidate doesn't appear to be too mental going by her FB campaign page, although I have a slight suspicion that 'keeping children safe' really means making the lives of LGBTQ+ people as miserable as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/Elizabethmya.alba

I think I'll give her the coveted sixth place on my ballot, ahead the Tory scumbag.

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

There is no Green candidate in my area, so I'm trying to figure out if the two independent candidates are sane enough to rank 2 & 3.

One of them at least seems to have some sort of campaign and she seems reasonable enough, despite not appearing to have any policies.

https://scontent.fgla1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/278412030_115359664472221_9027725460350738462_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=PpDI8Abg0nAAX_-Y36x&tn=Nivm69Gq6M9XQm5P&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8F94IKL0LN94R5jefTvswcH5PeSAqIt7JawEs3pS917g&oe=626276AF

The other independent appears to have zero online presence.

On the surface, the Alba candidate doesn't appear to be too mental going by her FB campaign page, although I have a slight suspicion that 'keeping children safe' really means making the lives of LGBTQ+ people as miserable as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/Elizabethmya.alba

I think I'll give her the coveted sixth place on my ballot, ahead the Tory scumbag.

Being an Alba candidate is enough evidence that she is mental 

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

"Emma Knox 4U" which makes me cringe.  I noticed her in the election last year getting quite annoyed when folk were telling her that voting SNP on the list was a largely a waste of time.

She and presumably Emma Roddick would've been entitled to a told you so 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

She'd be high up my list in that she's involved in lots of community stuff that keeps her busy, and I'd run a mile from, so hopefully she'll keep that energy going for council business.

Voting for folk in the upcoming local elections seems a bit of a lottery. I know nothing about the majority of the candidates. How are you voting? Along party lines or do you know the candidates and what they are hoping to achieve?

I feel I should vote but as I haven’t a clue who the good guys are or who the useless hoors are it’s going to be tricky. Ideally I want to be voting for folk who can get things done whilst avoid the useless ones who just like talking with little in the way of action.

The only flyers I’ve received were from SNP and Tories as usual and they were generic rather than based on issues in my local area.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Voting for folk in the upcoming local elections seems a bit of a lottery. I know nothing about the majority of the candidates. How are you voting? Along party lines or do you know the candidates and what they are hoping to achieve?

I feel I should vote but as I haven’t a clue who the good guys are or who the useless hoors are it’s going to be tricky. Ideally I want to be voting for folk who can get things done whilst avoid the useless ones who just like talking with little in the way of action.

The only flyers I’ve received were from SNP and Tories as usual and they were generic rather than based on issues in my local area.

I used this link, then googled the names if there was no info. I'm tempted to ignore anyone who hasn't issued a leaflet or at least made a statement online, if they can't be arsed doing that before the postal votes arrived then they're probably disorganised and/or lazy so would make rubbish councillors. Only heard directly from 3 out of nine candidates so far, apart from generic national party stuff that goes straight to recycling.

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I used this link, then googled the names if there was no info. I'm tempted to ignore anyone who hasn't issued a leaflet or at least made a statement online, if they can't be arsed doing that before the postal votes arrived then they're probably disorganised and/or lazy so would make rubbish councillors. Only heard directly from 3 out of nine candidates so far, apart from generic national party stuff that goes straight to recycling.

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/

That link is better than nothing, but only just. I can see what some of them look like and the odd one has a personal statement, but it’s not much to go on. 

Edited by Scary Bear

27 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I'll be voting SNP, Green, Independent, Labour, Lib Democrats, Conservative in that order.