2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

7 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Christ, what have the council elections got to do with Indyref?? And they say the SNP are obsessed

They do have limited options though. It's not as if the Scottish Tory's can point to any sort of successful policy up here or propose anything that won't be immediately overturned by their UK superiors. The supposedly moral stance they had against Johnson' Partygate was very brief and ended with Dross eating his words. Brexit has dominated Tory policy UK wide for years now. Yet they cannot mention that at all. Because it has become a byword for failure.

So they go back to their opposition to another referendum, forgetting that we have had that argument already in 2021 and they lost.

Does make me laugh, when someone declares that Scottish Independence will be just like Brexit! When the options are really between which union would we be better off being a part of, the UK or the EU?

Bearing in mind you won't have to wait 50 years to see the benefits of EU membership.

Anyone else had hardly anything through the door? I’ve had a letter from the Lib Dems with Alex Cole-Hamilton’s face on it which made me feel violently ill, but absolutely nothing else. 
I've had 1 Tory leaflet about a week ago. Nothing else.
So far, one from the SNP candidate, who is a very good local issues councillor, and one from the Lib Dems, which obsessed about the SNP a bit too much.

My first two votes are set as the two best local issues councillors, the ranking after that is yet to be determined

13 hours ago, Zern said:

They do have limited options though. It's not as if the Scottish Tory's can point to any sort of successful policy up here or propose anything that won't be immediately overturned by their UK superiors. The supposedly moral stance they had against Johnson' Partygate was very brief and ended with Dross eating his words. Brexit has dominated Tory policy UK wide for years now. Yet they cannot mention that at all. Because it has become a byword for failure.

So they go back to their opposition to another referendum, forgetting that we have had that argument already in 2021 and they lost.

Does make me laugh, when someone declares that Scottish Independence will be just like Brexit! When the options are really between which union would we be better off being a part of, the UK or the EU?

Bearing in mind you won't have to wait 50 years to see the benefits of EU membership.

There's a lot of silly posts on here and a few stupid ones but this is impressively dim. 

I can't believe any grown up that doesn't have a small baby brain could truly believe that highlighted sentence. Just shows how reductive and small minded some peoples views on politics are. We're probably not far away from hearing how Brussels will pay for Scottish pensions and how Scotland will adopt the Euro. 

Low blow, I'm out.  

Alba aren't standing a candidate here. Presumably all the genital inspecting loonballs are standing for Alba in the coastal wards. I'd be ranking them last as well, absolute OFTW weirdos.

Think they can get above 1.66% this time? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

18 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Anyone else had hardly anything through the door? I’ve had a letter from the Lib Dems with Alex Cole-Hamilton’s face on it which made me feel violently ill, but absolutely nothing else. 

Had a letter from our LibDem boy as well and he doesn't mention AC-H or even the Lib Dems at all. Good hard working councillor so he'll be getting my first or second vote, my neighbour's an SNP councillor who seems pretty sound too and it could be handy if I need some help with .the Council, I'll see what his flyer's like before deciding the order. Anyone banging on about Holyrood or Westminster stuff can GTF.

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

There's a lot of silly posts on here and a few stupid ones but this is impressively dim. 

I can't believe any grown up that doesn't have a small baby brain could truly believe that highlighted sentence. Just shows how reductive and small minded some peoples views on politics are. We're probably not far away from hearing how Brussels will pay for Scottish pensions and how Scotland will adopt the Euro. 

Is it? Until recently Scotland was fully EU compliant. It's not difficult to imagine that an independent Scotland would apply for EU membership. The Irish Republic has already indicated its support for such a motion. There are a few other options of course with EFTA and 3rd party status being the others. But the idea of isolating ourselves in the manner of Brexit has made 3rd party status unattractive. Repeat Brexit? That would be a disaster.

So EFTA and full EU membership are viable options. You've not explained why they are not.

And all this is million miles away from council elections.

6 minutes ago, Zern said:

Is it? Until recently Scotland was fully EU compliant. It's not difficult to imagine that an independent Scotland would apply for EU membership. The Irish Republic has already indicated its support for such a motion. There are a few other options of course with EFTA and 3rd party status being the others. But the idea of isolating ourselves in the manner of Brexit has made 3rd party status unattractive. Repeat Brexit? That would be a disaster.

So EFTA and full EU membership are viable options. You've not explained why they are not.

And all this is million miles away from council elections.

My criticism was specifically on the framing of the debate to be UK vs EU rather than whether Scotland could eventually rejoin the EU if the people wanted to later down the line. 

21 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

My criticism was specifically on the framing of the debate to be UK vs EU rather than whether Scotland could eventually rejoin the EU if the people wanted to later down the line. 

Brexit has made such comparisons unavoidable. The continue as part of UK is to continue Brexit, to continue diverging from EU. It is explicitly anti-EU in it conception.

Just now, Zern said:

Brexit has made such comparisons unavoidable. The continue as part of UK is to continue Brexit, to continue diverging from EU. It is explicitly anti-EU in it conception.

Yeah and your framing is still ridiculous because if Scotland was to vote for Independence then it wouldn't be part of Brexit Britain or the EU at least for the short term. 

The choices on offer are Independence from the UK and the EU or to continue within the UK. 

26 minutes ago, Zern said:

Indeed - Scotland can either opt to pursue independence statehood within the EU or to remain being dragged along the separatist road of anti-EU state, led at present by an outright racist.

7 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Yeah and your framing is still ridiculous because if Scotland was to vote for Independence then it wouldn't be part of Brexit Britain or the EU at least for the short term. 

The choices on offer are Independence from the UK and the EU or to continue within the UK. 

I'm really not keen on having my choices dictated by some rando unionist online thanks.

The SNP, the Greens, and to a lesser extent, the Lib Dems are all in favour of joining the EU. I think they might have a point. They certainly appear more credible than yourself. Pro-EU sentiment in Scotland is a significant factor in the politics here.

4 minutes ago, Zern said:

I'm really not keen on having my choices dictated by some rando unionist online thanks.

The SNP, the Greens, and to a lesser extent, the Lib Dems are all in favour of joining the EU. I think they might have a point. They certainly appear more credible than yourself. Pro-EU sentiment in Scotland is a significant factor in the politics here.

Just learn to word your posts better in future bud. Antlion showed you above. 

22 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Indeed - Scotland can either opt to pursue independence statehood within the EU or to remain being dragged along the separatist road of anti-EU state, led at present by an outright racist.

How to reverse Brexit? Join the EU.

How to join the EU? Leave the UK.

EU has benefits, lots of benefits. Brexit has none.

Add in that we are certain to see a border poll in Northern Ireland in the near future and it becomes clear that the UK union will be changing.

On 08/04/2022 at 15:56, oneteaminglasgow said:

Yes something about Fife Council prioritising Independence over schools. Not sure that it's the best way to win votes tbh.

I’ve had one leaflet through the door so far and that was from Labour.

And they seemed more interested in “kicking out the SNP” than local issues 

For example a popular community hall that was used frequently closed because of the Pandemic….. and it’s just never reopened.

Its starting to fall apart now and looking really run down, and we’ve had zero communication from the council about its future (from any party)

Im assuming they’re just going to let it rot but are waiting to break the news until after the elections 

It’s stuff like this I care about at a local level, not what my passport will be or party disagreements on a national level

I’ve had one leaflet through the door so far and that was from Labour.
And they seemed more interested in “kicking out the SNP” than local issues 
For example a popular community hall that was used frequently closed because of the Pandemic….. and it’s just never reopened.
Its starting to fall apart now and looking really run down, and we’ve had zero communication from the council about its future (from any party)
Im assuming they’re just going to let it rot but are waiting to break the news until after the elections 
It’s stuff like this I care about at a local level, not what my passport will be or party disagreements on a national level
Labour are just political opportunists.

If there is a bandwagon to jump on they'll find it.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Labour are just political opportunists.

If there is a bandwagon to jump on they'll find it.

To be fair the SNP ain’t much better at this level either 

I had a nosey on the local SNP Facebook group and it was boasting how they’ll be going for an overall majority this election but very thin on the manifesto promises if they did win a majority 

My local candidates are 1x snp, 1x labour and 2x tory, for 3 council seats. Im struggling to do anything other than spoil my ballot, snp raising council tax but removing services/making an arse of the public sector at large, labour- wouldnt vote for them after their lies in 2014 and running bigoted candidates in other areas with no concern before you even consider the absolute arseholes in london. How do you even comprehend voting Tory? You genuinely have to be devoid of a soul or a shred of decency to vote for those fucking scumbags.