2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

Edinburgh will be interesting. Currently SNP/Lab, and very unpopular. Things like Spaces for People, discussions around low-traffic areas, seemingly never-ending roadworks and the tram extension have seem gammon heads exploding over the city for the past couple of years.

I genuinely don’t know how I’ll vote at this stage. I don’t particularly like the current council, and the leader is a wet wipe. Alex Cole-Hamilton, Ian Murray and Ruth Davidson have won parliamentary seats in Edinburgh based on an ‘anyone but the SNP’ argument so it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with a some kind of Tory/Lib Dem/maybe even Labour coalition.

On 23/02/2022 at 19:46, scottsdad said:

My son will have his first ever vote at these elections. No clue who he will punt for. 

Being 16 he might just draw a cock and bollocks on the ballot paper. Like his dad will. 

Another vote for the cock and balls party from me.

Just got to make sure that the drawing doesn't look like it is support for Alba.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Tory leaflet earlier.  Donald MacKenzie running in Inverness Central again (whose family members seem to run in every ward they can find round here) and his main plan is to move the railway station so that a road can be built through it.  No thank you.

27 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Got a Tory leaflet earlier.  Donald MacKenzie running in Inverness Central again (whose family members seem to run in every ward they can find round here) and his main plan is to move the railway station so that a road can be built through it.  No thank you.

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

What is the deal with the "Aberdeen Labour"? Did Labour ever actually do anything about them other then suspended them?

I'm not one for demonstrations but if anything was deserving of aberdeen residents protesting that was it. Sadly utterly no one seemed to care or understand. 

Labour/Cons and the liberal dems who became "independent" to help deny the city of what it had chosen.

One of the Labour/Conservative candidates said people must vote for them in the local elections to put a stop to independence.

Edited by red23

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Thick c**t. 

In 2016, the midst of that run of some sort of vote seemingly every 6 months, I got fed constantly getting mail from every party - the stuff directly addressed to me, rather than the generic leaflets or stuff addressed to some variation of "householder" - so I emailed them all and told them to f**k off politely requested that they remove me from their mailing list. Other than the replies confirming they had done it, I have received nothing since.

Today, I received TWO copies of exactly the same letter, addressed directly to me, including my middle initial, from the Scottish Conservative and Unionist candidate for my ward.

TLDR: Tories think permanent means 6 years

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

In 2016, the midst of that run of some sort of vote seemingly every 6 months, I got fed constantly getting mail from every party - the stuff directly addressed to me, rather than the generic leaflets or stuff addressed to some variation of "householder" - so I emailed them all and told them to f**k off politely requested that they remove me from their mailing list. Other than the replies confirming they had done it, I have received nothing since.

Today, I received TWO copies of exactly the same letter, addressed directly to me, including my middle initial, from the Scottish Conservative and Unionist candidate for my ward.

TLDR: Tories think permanent means 6 years

Political parties get the updated voter register every year so if they delete you upon request one year they likely get you again next year.

I can mark you down as a Do Not Contact on my fancy system which deletes for as long as you live at that address. Another great reason to vote SNP 

On 15/03/2022 at 20:08, Highland Capital said:

Please upload a photo of this for a good laugh.

14 minutes ago, RiG said:

Please upload a photo of this for a good laugh.

Of the railway station plans?  There wasn't any pictures of it, just of him and it went straight into the recycling bin after I'd read it (that'll show him!).  I was trying to think where he was thinking of moving it - I assume somewhere round the back the Eastgate/Morrisons so that this proposed new road can plough straight the railway station site and meet up with Strothers Lane (this is his plan!).  Moving the station would also mean trains could run through Inverness as opposed to having to terminate here...but there already are trains that do this!

There's big plans for the station anyway and they've bought the TK Maxx building for a further extension.

9 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Of the railway station plans?  There wasn't any pictures of it, just of him and it went straight into the recycling bin after I'd read it (that'll show him!).  I was trying to think where he was thinking of moving it - I assume somewhere round the back the Eastgate/Morrisons so that this proposed new road can plough straight the railway station site and meet up with Strothers Lane (this is his plan!).  Moving the station would also mean trains could run through Inverness as opposed to having to terminate here...but there already are trains that do this!

There's big plans for the station anyway and they've bought the TK Maxx building for a further extension.

Utterly delusional. What planet are some of these councillors on?

I know they had bought the old Royal Mail sorting office to expand or relocate the bus station to improve public transport in the town centre IIRC.

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

Utterly delusional. What planet are some of these councillors on?

I know they had bought the old Royal Mail sorting office to expand or relocate the bus station to improve public transport in the town centre IIRC.

He doesn't even live in Inverness Central.  He lives in Inverness Millburn where his wife (who'd previously barely worked a day in her life) is the councillor.