Strip clubs to be banned?

ICTChris

Living in Prague for a good few years I ended up going to a few, accompanying colleagues from the US to make sure they didn't get mugged or mates that came to visit me. 

The experience is not enjoyable at all, You have to pay a cover, normally about £20. and this comes with free drinks which are shots of shitey vodka. As soon as you have picked up your drinks, you are harassed for the remainder of your time there by dancers trying to get you to part with cash. You will not get a minutes peace. I never had a dance the whole time I was there, it all seemed a bit pointless, the lassies weren't keen on letting you watch the stage show if you weren't buying them drinks, normally about £40 or going for private dances. 

Folk used to say to me on nights out that I was lucky to be able to do this every night which puzzled me and I would always answer in the same way. How much do you think I earn if you think I am paying £20 to have access to pay £15 for a 330ml bottle of beer and scud £40-£60 on a private dance every night? I always thought it would be awkward as f**k getting a dance, I was in the process of dating local lassies so the appeal was never there for me. I have never been to one in the UK. 

A night hosting colleagues would normally start with one of them saying - I am not going to lap dancing tonight. Which meant - just putting the notion out there that we will be going to lap dancing. It was a pain in the tits for me because it meant a late night.  I always took them to the same place and got to know some of the dancers quite well. It meant that I could go in and sit at the bar talking to the regular barman without getting bothered and they knew the guys I was with were fair game but not to rip them off.

They were 100% focused on separating you from your cash and nothing else. They said that British guys always tell them they are famous footballers or pilots where other European males say they are poor and don't want to spend any money.  Some were quite tragic, had drink problems, some had kids back home in Belarus or Ukraine that they never saw because they were earning very good money in Prague, x2 or x3 the average salary in CZ never mind their home land. 

There are guys who like or need strip clubs and there are also women who like or need to work in them, I don't like them but I understand why some folk do. If there is a market then they will exist. As long as they are run properly and the women are kept safe but also customers aren't ripped off. 

Heyday of the Pubic triangle and one or two others around Tollcross was prob 90s , and I certainly went a to a few on stag dos / work nights with guys from down south. That was in my 20s / early 30s and I cant say I have even been in one since being dragged to the Western as part of my stag do.

Doesnt float my boat now, but imv "bans" tend to send things underground and potentially endanger the girls working there. 

There are a number of facets to these stories, but perhaps we should concentrate less on pissed up guys wanting some oiled up bird to grind on his tadger or the dodgy buggers that own them and more on the safety of the most vulnerable people working there?

The example of what were licensed brothels in Edinburgh is quite instructive re the girls - 

Everyone in the city knew that most massage parlours offered extras, and they were strictly licensed by the council (on health grounds) which meant that someone in authority could look girls in the eye and have an idea if they were being coerced etc.

All "stakeholders" thought it worked - the girls, owners, police, council, the charities representing sex workers actually preferred this situation, as it meant anywhere really bad was shut down, there were few "underground" brothels, and the girls were generally safe.

That changed a number of years ago and the council decided that it couldnt continue to sanction prostitution (to be fair, I think it was also under a bit of duress from less enlightened outside agencies / Scot Gov etc).

Roll on to today, AirbNb flats get booked for weeks at a time for "parties" which are basically unlicensed brothels (full disclosure, we had a flat we rented out where this happened, the b*****ds stole all the bedding, but that might have been a blessing - neighbours were less than delighted with the noises 😆) and many massage parlours are still around, still operate as brothels, but there are fewer checks and lots of the girls are there under duress / trafficked etc - a shit state of affairs and a lesson in sticking the oar in throwing up a lot of unintended and bad consequences.

I dont know the answer, but I suspect that proper licensing is better than outright bans. 

Sad boring blokes getting drunk. Garish outfits. Yes, it probably is time to ban golf clubs. 

Can’t see any logic to banning the stripping beyond puritanism. Or puritanism is being used as a veil for it simply being a way to hit organised crime, given the very sketchy ownership trail of these places and associated incidents of violence and mayhem linked to the people who may/may not own them.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I know it’s the bun, but:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8543443/strip-clubs-glasgow-vote-adult-entertainment-scotland/

Existing Glasgow clubs get grandfather rights. Should we merge this thread with the Gang Wars one? 

That's handy...

It's been years now since I've been in a strip club, but I'm not sure I agree with the idea of banning them.

I'm not a huge fan in general of things being banned because some people don't like it/them.

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I know it’s the bun, but:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/8543443/strip-clubs-glasgow-vote-adult-entertainment-scotland/

Existing Glasgow clubs get grandfather rights. Should we merge this thread with the Gang Wars one? 

I'm not going to watch old men stripping!

On 23/02/2022 at 13:03, Duszek said:

On the basis that a “Scottish strip club patrons” VS “Old Firm fans” Venn diagram would be concentric circles, I say f**k ‘em.

So the big hoose should stay open?

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not a huge fan in general of things being banned because some people don't like it/them

Best stay away from that internet thing then 🤔

Just to confirm - no-one on P&B likes going to strip clubs, any time anyone has been to one they were forced, practically dragged, there and we'd all never go again.

But definitely don't ban them.  No way.  Freedom etc.

• 3 weeks later...