Strip clubs to be banned?

ICTChris

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We should retrain the strippers as HGV drivers. The only downside of this is that as young attractive women working as lorry drivers they will be expected to murder themselves.

This is where team work comes in,  week 1 somebody drives the truck, another gets murdered,   week 2 they switch roles.

Hang on,    Does that work?  

Agreed on how awful strip clubs are but these proposals are a dog whistle to exclude and stigmitise sex works.

They deserve the right to practice their business in a way which maximises the safety of them and their clients, and minimises the risk of exploitation. By far the best way to meet these three criteria is legalisation and regulation. This has been known about for centuries and the only thing that is stopping it is bizarre, old fashioned purantical beliefs that idiots not only hold themselves but also force onto others.

Things are getting better, but it's a very sad way in which the world could obviously, and fairly easily, improve but just chooses not to.

And also, I don't think there's anything inherently seedy about sex workers. These people are providing orgasms and pleasure, it's far more worthwhile work than pretty much anything else than anyone does (and far more worthwhile than any job I've ever had).

That said, I worked with a lawyer who, when he had a drink, bragged about his university career as a male stripper. Quite a fall from grace you could say, to a profession filled with utter degenerates. 

23 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

And also, I don't think there's anything inherently seedy about sex workers. These people are providing orgasms and pleasure, it's far more worthwhile work than pretty much anything else than anyone does (and far more worthwhile than any job I've ever had).

Agreed. As I was schooled in my very early career, in my job all I do is help rich people get a little bit richer while getting the benefit of earning a wee wage along the way.

It’s not as if I’ve got to deliver important things like life changing news to families or deal with immediate life threatening emergencies. I know my job’s paltry contribution to wider society. 

If a person can find a way to provide a brief moment of happiness to another on a contractual basis where they both understand the finance and results, I’d say leave them to it. 

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We should retrain the strippers as HGV drivers. The only downside of this is that as young attractive women working as lorry drivers they will be expected to murder themselves.

We could then retrain murders as butchers.  

Wouldnt even have to supply them with knives and shit. 

More than happy to say I've never visited a strip club. Do remember a casual debate at work years ago about the point of a lap dance when you weren't allowed to touch. One lad piped up, "Aye I know but sometimes they get that close to you, you can smell their fanny".

10 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

More than happy to say I've never visited a strip club. Do remember a casual debate at work years ago about the point of a lap dance when you weren't allowed to touch. One lad piped up, "Aye I know but sometimes they get that close to you, you can smell their fanny".

^^^True dat.

Some of them at The Western you could smell when you opened the door.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I had to walk past the triangle every day to and from school throughout puberty

When I finally got round to going in to them on a stag do in later life it was immensely disappointing compared to my teenage imagination

The highlight was in the Burke and Hare when a dancer jumped off the stage and decked a heckler.

When I was working near Old Street in London it was seriously difficult to find a pub without strippers at lunchtime and constantly being hassled for a quid in the jar. Oi missus, get your nipples out of my pint! :angry:

16 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Strip clubs are shite IMO

Still though, wouldn’t want to see people getting made unemployment because some councillors can’t stand people enjoying seeing a pair of tits

p099d923.thumb.jpg.3be905b1daaed1a01b7132fc2c2c48d0.jpg

that'll be the Off the Ball roadshow banned from Edinburgh then. 

this is their official BBC photo. They look like a jaikie Jack and Victor now. 

Haven't been in one for years. I get the licensing thing from the point of view that they want to the power to stop a load of them opening up in residential areas or whatever but I don't see what the issue is with a handful of them in the city centre. If folk want to frequent them and folk want to work in them, where's the harm? 

It's simply puritans using violence against women as a smokescreen to shut down thing that they don't like the idea of but aren't affected by in the slightest.

It's really not the direction a modern liberal democracy should be moving in.

I went to one in Sydney when I was steaming and had been on a work night out, found it pretty awkward tbh and would much have preferred one on one time with a prostitute:

I'm sure the Sex Workers of the Antipodes knickers must be wringing at the thought of a visitation from a 'steaming' Throbber.

This may come over a big crass as aman living in Thailand.

In Scotchland I've been to 2 stripper clubs, both on "boys" night out in Edinburgh. Horrriffic

In Thailand, I lived for 2 years before I entered one. My sister insisted we go...... great night, sad to see.

Went the Pattaya about 6 years ago, booked for 3 nights. Left the next morning, not more me

Reading the article it looks as if it's one of those instances where several things are possible so they take the most dramatic possibility as the clickbait headline

An outright ban appears less likely than there being some kind of licensing brought in which would help keep things on the straight and narrow and make it easier for residents to object to new places opening next door to them.