Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

23 minutes ago, Scumjob said:

My word nothing like a squad announcement to squeeze so many absolute mares from the General into a short space.

Squad is very much a Steve Clarke squad, no real surprises at all and little emotion generated for me but good to see Hickey involved and the continued slow inclusion of new players continuing, slowly.

I already said there wouldn't be many changes before and that I wasn't expecting the names that I mentioned to get in unless we had magor injuries and suspensions

Don't let that get in a good way off hating on me

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Robertson will probably only play one game and Tierney will be at centre-back. Bringing the young 4th choice in for a bit of experience is absolutely fine.

Third equal choice.

Seria A

better than Premier ship

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

A nice idea in theory but if the guys been playing out of sorts for months at not too high a level you can’t expect him to just turn it on against higher opposition. I appreciate teams like Northern Ireland used to do that with certain key players but he really isn’t that sort of player for us albeit he is underrated by many.

As someone who watches him stink the place out for Motherwell on the regular I'm as perplexed by O'Donnell as anyone. However, he will continue to get picked until such time that he stops performing in a Scotland jersey or that there are various overwhelmingly better options at RWB than him. Neither situation has come to pass yet so he stays. 

59 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Squad is more or less what I expected. But I can't ignore that we have 4 left backs in there. I wonder if they will experiment at playing Hickey at RWB? SoD has been awful domestically and Patterson has had next to zero playing time. 

Hickey is two-footed and can play at right-back too.

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

Squad is more or less what I expected. But I can't ignore that we have 4 left backs in there. I wonder if they will experiment at playing Hickey at RWB? SoD has been awful domestically and Patterson has had next to zero playing time. 

I think he’ll have a look at him at RWB, he does at least play there sometimes, even if it’s not his usual position, so it’s not quite the same as putting Tierney or Robertson there and hoping they’ll be ok. 

Just now, Captain Saintsible said:

Ralston > O’Donnell

Clarke needs to let go of these loyalties. That was Ally McLeod’s downfall in 78.

O’Donnell isn’t a regular starter at Motherwell. He shouldn’t be anywhere near the Scotland squad 

Hate to agree with this guy, but on this occasion he's spot on. O'donnell over Ralston at this point is a pretty ridiculous decision.

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Considering we’ve had the likes of Paul Hanlon and Anthony Ralston filling in at LWB at the end of games then having plenty of cover there can only be a good thing.

Indeed

Tierney has been playing centre back, Hickey covers Robertson for now.

England had 4 right backs in their Euro squad 

The squad is as I’d expect other than O’Donnell, he’s hopeless 

24 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

He is a better player though 

as are the vast majority of Serie A players compared to the Scottish Premiership :1eye 

Liam Henderson is starting regularly (31 appearances according to Transfermkt) for Empoli this season.

Empoli are currently 13th in Serie A, just below Aaron Hickey's Bologna.

Yet Clarke has ignored Henderson and picked Lewis Ferguson.

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Liam Henderson is starting regularly (31 appearances according to Transfermkt) for Empoli this season.

Any thoughts?

Ferguson is a decent player. He could well be good enough to play 31 games in Serie A for the 13th placed side.

John McGinn and Kenny McLean from my team both ended up in the Premiership despite taking detours via rubbish like Hibs and Aberdeen.

49 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think he’ll have a look at him at RWB, he does at least play there sometimes, even if it’s not his usual position, so it’s not quite the same as putting Tierney or Robertson there and hoping they’ll be ok. 

Possibly both LWB  and RWB.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/scotland-squad-steve-clarke-discusses-aaron-hickey-nathan-patterson-and-ryan-fraser/ar-AAV5TmL

“I’ve seen him playing a couple of games off the right for Bologna and he did okay. He can play off the left. In our group he’s obviously got competition with the captain Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney in front of him. It gives me a chance to see Aaron up close in a training camp.”

19 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Any thoughts?

Empoli haven't won since December