Do you think premiership players read this forum? If so, would you temper your comments about them or their team?

As the title suggests...  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In this day and age, I can't believe there aren't players reading this website. After all, we know they are on Twitter, Insta and Facebook, etc.. why not forums? Maybe we have some "famous guests" amongst us and just don't know it?

What do you think? And would you post differently if you knew your words would be seen by them?

Edited by Ric

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If they do read it then I would like to humbly apologise to Gus McPherson for giving him the benefit of the doubt for too long. Yer fucking useless and if our fans had given you abuse earlier it could have saved us all a lot of pain.

:lol:

You see this was what I was thinking when I posted this. I am certainly not shy from delivering a really unfair "verbal flourish" against players, and... of course, referees!
I do sometimes worry that the divide between 'pub talk' and addressing them directly has shrunk massively since social media, though.

Do players check twitter and Instagram? Absolutely.

But I don't think Aaron Ramsay is heading on here or FollowFollow anytime soon. Maybe that's a bad example.

I don't see for example Mark McNulty or Liam Smith coming on to read the United threads, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the coaching staff do though.

Lower Leagues is different, certainly think Championship and below players come on here and read what's written about them.

5 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

But I don't think Aaron Ramsay is heading on here or FollowFollow anytime soon. Maybe that's a bad example.

Oh, the #scenes especially if it turned out he isn't as staunch as those who frequent such places demand he is!

5 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Lower Leagues is different, certainly think Championship and below players come on here and read what's written about them.

I was pitching this towards premiership players but I think you are right, whether it's true or not, I feel the further down the leagues you go the "relationship", for the lack of a better word, between players and fans is different.

Edited by Ric

For Rangers and Celtic, it doesn't matter a jot. For Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and maybe a few other clubs, it barely matters. Yet when you burrow far enough down into the depths of diddyness, it starts to matter. When we were in the 4th tier, commenters on Livi forums would mention that Keaghan Jacobs had delivered pizza to their door that evening. He had taken that second job to supplement his football income. Jacobs is on loan at Falkirk just now but remains a contracted Livi player. You have Scott Pittman as a first team regular for us who we originally signed from Bo'ness United. He, along with Jack McMillan and James Penrice are West Lothian locals, you can bump into them in Asda.

So the player to fan "distance" is nowhere near great enough at Livi for fans to get vitriolic about the players. You see comments critical of individual players being posted by Livi fans but that never snowballs into a collective hounding of a player.

Edit: Just realised I've not linked all that to your question very well. What I'm meaning is that the dynamic between wealthy, out of touch player and then soul of the club fan doesn't exist at Livi. So while I doubt Livi players themselves read forums, their friends and family will and they might then tell the player of any online mob criticism. That'd be all the more cutting for a player given the much smaller ecosystem of Livi. Most Livi fans recognise that so it doesn't tend to happen.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Yeah family members def have for us, still not a good idea, even worse if they respond to criticism and out themselves, the piss just gets ripped right out of them, and not just by our fans.

Our fans FB page must have players and staff reading it too, god help them, cause some/most of them on there are very reactionary to a defeat, and will let rip with a vengeance.

Must be difficult if you are close to players, maybe a volunteer down there or involved doing things around the club, can see you thinking more about what you're posting, and being more thoughtful towards players feeling. Most fans will just vent their feeling to get it off their chests, which is what forums are for, so players really should avoid them.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If they do read it then I would like to humbly apologise to Gus McPherson for giving him the benefit of the doubt for too long. Yer fucking useless and if our fans had given you abuse earlier it could have saved us all a lot of pain.

Did a previous Morton managers daughter not appear on this site to defend her father? It rings a bell but I might be remembering it wrong.

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You only mention players and not coaching staff.

I’m Mark McGhee and I’m disgusted by the Dundee fans comments about me.

Yeah, don't think we don't see what you are doing, trying to claim McGhee just so you can chop 20 years off your age? Shocking...

7 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Edit: Just realised I've not linked all that to your question very well.

I think you are definitely in the right area, while the polls ask if the players read this stuff and whether people would change their posting style, your comment deals with the reasons why people may temper their ire.

Willie Gibson came on to One F, the Falkirk forum of beloved memory.

He'd been subbed by Elvis in a game, and stormed straight out the door and away home. He came onto the forum to put his side of the story, but you'll be shocked to learn that sympathy was not entirely universal.

The fact that was his first port of call means they clearly are aware of their existence and read them.