Raith Rovers v Partick Thistle - 26th Feb

1 hour ago, Killiefromwell said:

If RR start with the team they had for the second half at RP there's no reason they can't get something from this game, RR had three or four really good chances to get back into the game.

Aye but lost heavily. If Thistle win tonight fancy us to win again Saturday Mon e Jags

I'm not suggesting that he's the answer to our striking woes, but thr difference when Varian came on at half time was huge.  Actually gave Killie defenders something to think about, and the likes of Zanatta et al saw the benefits.  Need to get back to that, in my view.

23 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm not suggesting that he's the answer to our striking woes, but thr difference when Varian came on at half time was huge.  Actually gave Killie defenders something to think about, and the likes of Zanatta et al saw the benefits.  Need to get back to that, in my view.

I agree with you, but there wasn't Zanatta et al to see any benefits in the first half. If Varian had started instead of Gullan in that first half system, I don't think he'd have had any greater impact on the game. He might've made the defenders work a little harder, but any striker in that set-up would've been completely isolated. 

If McGlynn wants to play one up top, and he does, he needs to get proper support in place. It's not as simple as "Varian can play on his own but Gullan can't". If it was, we wouldn't have had so much bother in the first two thirds of this run without a win. 

For Saturday, I expect we'll see all three half time subs start. He'll revert to the 4-2-3-1 and we'll get back to the two wingers trying to support Varian, and I'm happy enough with that. 

I wouldn't be opposed to him just taking out one of the centre halfs and playing Poplatnik instead, though. Keep the narrow set up through the midfield but give them two forwards to play towards. For someone who's not on the taller side, Poplatnik's hold up and link play is pretty decent, and I think he could be a good foil for Gullan. 

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I agree with you, but there wasn't Zanatta et al to see any benefits in the first half. If Varian had started instead of Gullan in that first half system, I don't think he'd have had any greater impact on the game. He might've made the defenders work a little harder, but any striker in that set-up would've been completely isolated. 

If McGlynn wants to play one up top, and he does, he needs to get proper support in place. It's not as simple as "Varian can play on his own but Gullan can't". If it was, we wouldn't have had so much bother in the first two thirds of this run without a win. 

For Saturday, I expect we'll see all three half time subs start. He'll revert to the 4-2-3-1 and we'll get back to the two wingers trying to support Varian, and I'm happy enough with that. 

I wouldn't be opposed to him just taking out one of the centre halfs and playing Poplatnik instead, though. Keep the narrow set up through the midfield but give them two forwards to play towards. For someone who's not on the taller side, Poplatnik's hold up and link play is pretty decent, and I think he could be a good foil for Gullan. 

I agree, I was more meaning how Varian is suited to the personnel we have available.  First half was going to be a shit show regardless of the unlucky fucker playing up top.

Attack attack attack, Varian and Gullan up top with Zanatta and Ross out wide.

Foster to get roasted by the latter and Raith to runout easy winners.

McCall to leave Starks Park with a puss like a skelped erse!

Edited by Scottydog

10 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Attack attack attack, Varian and Gullan up top with Zanatta and Ross out wide.

Foster to get roasted by the latter and Raith to runout easy winners.

McCall to leave Starks Park with a puss like a scalped erse!

How do you know McCall has a hairy erse? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

How do you know McCall has a hairy erse? 🤔

He probably has, but that was down to Auto-correct should have read Skelped.

Really should invest in a Scot's version of Windows.

4 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Not necessarily, we have played that system and been successful in games - the first Kilmarnock game, second trip to Inverness - but they have been with Varian starting up front and Zanatta/Ross in behind to be brought into the game. 

I'd still rather we went with 2 wingers and a back 4 but the 3-5-2 can work with the right personnel.

7 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Meh tbh after last night. Should known better though my salty tears will have dried up by Saturday. Be nice to play on a decent pitch

Yeah, ours was almost as bad as yours last season but it’s far better now. Win, lose or draw, it makes for a much more enjoyable watch.  *

* - especially since Sir Douglas arrived.   😁

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

We lost the unbeaten run against thistle and despite everything that's happened since there is some kind of weird symmetry about playing them again. Rovers to win. 

Blind faith/drunk based prediction. 

At this time?

If Tiffoney is missing again we’ll struggle to create anything and I could see Raith winning. I’m assuming Foster is still a couple of weeks away as well, which is frustrating because McKenna is looking increasingly out of his depth at RB each game.