The Famous Aberdeen v Close but no Cigar United - Fergie Homecoming

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Thankfully I will be watching this on TV, sadly accompanied by the dulcet tones of the DUTV crackpots commentary team.

My prediction is the usual sort of climatic conditions at Pittodrie with an archeological team finding frozen remains in 2,000 years.

The forecast is for gales up to 50 mph so probably not much hope of actual football breaking out.

It's weird, it's felt like a reasonably mild winter but weather conditions on actual match days have been the worst for years.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Looking forward to this one, but then I say that before every match. Let’s see if Jim Goodwin makes a difference to our defence after a full week’s training. I really, really hope Gallagher is on the bench this week, along with Adam Montgomery. And that the coaching team have worked non-stop on Calvin Ramsay’s defending.

Gallagher on the bench would mean McCrorie back in defence though. 

37 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The forecast is for gales up to 50 mph so probably not much hope of actual football breaking out.

It's weird, it's felt like a reasonably mild winter but weather conditions on actual match days have been the worst for years.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Aberdeen.

Definitely the coldest stadium consistently, only beaten by one memorably windy day at Gayfield.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Looking forward to this one, but then I say that before every match. Let’s see if Jim Goodwin makes a difference to our defence after a full week’s training. I really, really hope Gallagher is on the bench this week, along with Adam Montgomery. And that the coaching team have worked non-stop on Calvin Ramsay’s defending.

What lineup would you go for?  And what do you think will be picked?

Looking like  sell out ,,   take it United will sell out allocation ,so all the ingredients for great atmosphere  and great day. Crucial game for us can’t wait . Great for Goodwin to see the potential that’s there for better times ahead he will love it.

As for Fergie prob last time see him that close up. Give me my best days of my life . Prob reason dinna get too depressed if another shit season passes by. Seen it all ⭐⭐️.  Winning league at Tynecastle still my fav away day .and what nice reception we got outside after game .  Cheers Fergie canna thank ye enough . Fans will show it on Saturday .

Massive game for us and one I feel we have to win to get into the top 6. We have 3 tough games coming up after this so I think this is important.

It will be interesting to see if we are better organised at the back and what formation our manager runs with.  Home form has been decent so hopefully we get a result like the first game against United - they won't be that bad again that is for sure. 

It looks like we will sell this game but there is plenty folks offshore and also some watching from home due to being scared of Covid, so expect 3k short. 

Edited by betting competition

3 hours ago, starryfish said:

What lineup would you go for?  And what do you think will be picked?

If everyone I name is fit for Saturday, I would go:

Lewis, Ramsay, McCrorie, Bates, McKenzie, Ferguson, Brown, Besuijen, Barron, Hayes and Ramirez.

32 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Maybe true, but I think Jim Goodwin likes a midfielder that’s good at protecting the defence.

He signed Gogic for St Mirren, a similar role to what I think he sees for McCrorie with us. 

Agreed, I think he'll probably fire a rocket up Gallagher and fingers crossed he cuts out the daft mistakes.

I think Goodwin will set himself a challenge to bring out the Mitrovic rather than the Van Veen version of Gallagher.

McCrorie is completely wasted in defence. Apart from the Hedges-Watkins-Diet Rat combination, him and Ferguson together in midfield pre-Scotland U21 Covid shitshow were the main reason that we were actually a very good side for the first few months of Derek’s fateful final season.

United to pass the ball back to the keeper a lot and smash and a grab a 1-0 win with a goal from Derek Stark.
Now that would be nostalgia for the great man’s return.

1 hour ago, Loemba90 said:

Only possible change for United (barring any injuries) would be McDonald in for Butcher.

Though the team is far from perfect we can at least put out a decent first 11 and have adequate cover in most positions now for the 3-5-2 formation 

Butcher is a walking red card. Hopefully he plays. 

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Would definitely have McCrorie in defence. I don’t think he’s quite good enough on the ball for centre midfield in a team who’ll have a lot of possession and he’s also probably our best fit centre half.

I totally agree with this. Amazes me how many are desperate to get him back in midfield. 
Great attitude etc., but the range of passing and ability to build moves and work situations has to be questioned. 
He will have some good games in midfield, but the limitations will show if playing there regularly.