The Famous Aberdeen v Close but no Cigar United - Fergie Homecoming

Certainly no shortage of effort, but I thought there was a lack of urgency about us in the second half until maybe the last ten minutes. Definitely fair to say there was a lack of quality from both sides, too. Even then, we really have to bury at least one of the chances that fell to Ramirez, Besuijen or Jenks. 

United, in fairness, were really compact behind the ball for the most part. 

Montgomery and Bates were awful. Both genuine 2/10 performances. 

Have to be happy with the point as we never threatened to get any more than that 2nd half. We were living dangerously at a few points today and should be grateful that Aberdeen's finishing was fairly poor.

I thought Freeman should have been on earlier. It's disappointing to see youngsters like Meekison not getting off the bench while Courts makes his obligatory Clark sub.

It's really a testament to how shite St. Johnstone and Dundee are that we're so well clear of them.

Edited by captainkev
Spell-checker abandoned me.

First time in a while that we can clearly say we deserved to win a game we've drawn. You have to think we'll look good when Goodwin gets in who he wants.

Crazy from Bates. Was in section Y and could see he almost had his shirt off his back.

Can't believe United paid money for Watt. Motherwell have pulled their pants down there 

Delighted with the point which we probably didn’t deserve based on the performance.  Liam Smith has come on to a game and Niskanen continually looking dangerous.  I wonder how long Levitt will be out this time.

Courts needs to have a word with Watt.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Delighted with the point which we probably didn’t deserve based on the performance.  Liam Smith has come on to a game and Niskanen continually looking dangerous.  I wonder how long Levitt will be out this time.

I don't think Watt and McNulty work. Watt looked like he wasn't interested in linking up in the second half and threw a huff, trying to do it all on his own.

8 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I don't think Watt and McNulty work. Watt looked like he wasn't interested in linking up in the second half and threw a huff, trying to do it all on his own.

I noticed that as well. It seemed that after Watt threw a strop in the first half when he got the ball into box and McNulty didn't move to where Watt wanted him. Watt appeared determined not to pass again after that in our rare 2nd half forays into the Aberdeen box.

It wasn't Watt's best game today but subbing him for Clark achieved nothing.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You paid money for that fat waster? 

Thought we were very poor first half, United arguably the better side,  yet we could easily have gone in 3-1 up.  I'd have backed Ramirez to convert that chance 9 times out of 10 and Besuijen's was just as easy.  Crazy from Bates.

Second half I thought we were much the better side and did enough to deserve to win without looking very convincing.  Besuijen looks a real find.  McGeouch really improved us when he came on.  But we have far too many players who look desperately short of confidence.  Don't want to be too critical with Hayes, McCrorie and Ramsey all missing but Goodwin has his work cut out. 

Edited by Game of throw-ins

This season been a nightmare so far, today was a big occasion but when I saw the squad my heart sunk. Looks like COVID has hurt us losing about 5 players to it although I'm pleased how we played considering. Top 6 looks difficult now with Hearts and Rangers away. Didn't think much of United who I thought was poor.

Edited by betting competition

We really could’ve done with a win today so that was very frustrating in the end. 

I think there are positives. We created 5/6/7 decent chances, enough to win the game and that really hasn’t happened much this season. 

Similarly, there was lots to be frustrated about with the performance. Some really careless play at times throughout and just getting some basics wrong. 

Bates looks to have regressed again. I still remain perplexed by what Montgomery is meant to be and Connor mclennan is really quite sad to watch. A million miles from the young guy that broke through a few years ago. 

Barron and Vicente were encouraging and Ferguson was good again. 

United looked fairly resolute I suppose but didn’t offer a great deal, particularly second half. 

I’m coming on with my glass half full mindset again. The first half was fairly even in that we were shite for the first 15 minutes or so, and then should have scored 3 before half time. Why Bates thought that he had to pull Harkes shirt when he was heading for the corner flag only he knows. Of course it was a penalty, but credit to Harkes for getting tugged back and diving forwards. I thought McLennan was poor first half but he had a fantastic goal saving challenge right at the end of the half. Second half was complete domination, with perhaps not many clear cut chances, but four or five half chances. Quite a few poor decisions on when to shoot, with the most obvious being Teddy Jenks, who I thought played well when he came on, who delayed a second too long in shooting when coming in from the angle. Disastrous performances from Montgomery (again) and Bates (again). After a dreadful start with Aberdeen I thought Bates had settled down and was looking decent. But since McCrorie has gone from central defence he has reverted to type. Gallagher actually looked ok today.

Just a few words on Tony Watt. He looks the part when he’s on the ball, but does nothing with it and in reality he is pretty sh*t. I hope United enjoy paying him these big bucks for the length of his contract.

Decent point all things considered. We simply didn't create enough against a poor Aberdeen side. Aberdeen can probably point to the two good chances blootered into the stand first half but that aside, they didn't create anything worthwhile either.

Goodwin clearly making his mark as the c***s were grappling at every exchange and throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest contact.