Senior games played indoors.

Craig fae the Vale

I was at the East of Scotland Conference X game between Edinburgh College and Pumpherston tonight that was played at Oriam Indoor and it got me wondering how many senior games in Scotland have been played indoors. I can't imagine there's been many, but given Heriot Watt play at Oriam I imagine it has happened at least a couple of times?

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

I was at the East of Scotland Conference X game between Edinburgh College and Pumpherston tonight that was played at Oriam Indoor and it got me wondering how many senior games in Scotland have been played indoors. I can't imagine there's been many, but given Heriot Watt play at Oriam I imagine it has happened at least a couple of times?

There have been 4... all at Oriam... indeed I might be the only man alive to have witnessed them all:

Sunday 19th March 2017     Spartans 2-1 Lothian Thistle HV     EOS Qualifying Cup, Final     crowd c400
(neutral venue) (held as a novelty after facility opened earlier in season - not due to bad weather)

Saturday 6th January 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-2 Stirling University     EOS League     crowd c50

Saturday 17th March 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-3 Leith Athletic     EOS League      crowd c200
(held as a novelty during Groundhop with teatime kickoff - not due to bad weather)

Friday 18th February 2022     Edinburgh College 2-2 Pumpherston     EOS League First Division Conference X     crowd c100

Friendlies and games at womens/youth/junior/etc. levels have also ventured indoors.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

There have been 4... all at Oriam... indeed I might be the only man alive to have witnessed them all:

Sunday 19th March 2017     Spartans 2-1 Lothian Thistle HV     EOS Qualifying Cup, Final
(neutral venue) (held as a novelty after facility opened earlier in season - not due to bad weather)

Saturday 6th January 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-2 Stirling University     EOS League

Saturday 17th March 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-3 Leith Athletic     EOS League
(held as a novelty during Groundhop with teatime kickoff - not due to bad weather)

Friday 18th February 2022     Edinburgh College 2-2 Pumpherston     EOS League First Division Conference X

Friendlies and games at womens/youth/junior/etc. levels have also ventured indoors.

In those senior games has there been any incidents created solely by being indoors?(beyond better conditions)

Just now, parsforlife said:

In those senior games has there been any incidents created solely by being indoors?(beyond better conditions)

Echo creates surreal atmosphere: I find it doesn't "feel" like a real competitive game.

Oriam is so high I don't recall any clearances hitting roof; that hampered some Junior games at Ravenscraig (necessatating a drop ball).

Oriam:

oriam_indoor_football_hall_03__scheme-li

Ravenscraig:

look-at-the-size-of-this.jpg

If by "senior" you mean a scheduled competitive adult game:

There were a few Junior Cup ties played at Ravenscraig when we had the bad snow ten years ago- I went to one involving Thorniewood and an East club (Armadale?). The only problem was when the ball hit the roof, can't remember if a drop ball was awarded or not.

There was a Women's Scottish Cup tie at Toryglen between Glasgow City and Hibs Ladies too 

Toryglen and Oriam roofs are higher than Ravenscraig so better suited to football although HJ is correct in saying the atmosphere isn't the best. It felt like watching a game in a school gym to me. This is maybe down to the 150 years old culture of playing 11 a side football outdoors as I believe the atmosphere at indoor sports like basketball and ice hockey can be good and the Tennents Sixes of yesteryear seemed to have a good atmosphere.

There are 5 full-size indoor pitches (AFAIA)... Celtic plan another at training ground of 'tent'-type design... but Aberdeen and Dundee no seats (Ravenscraig's are pitchside) and only Oriam high roof:

Oriam, Edinburgh

5237780_8091adea.jpg

Toryglen, Glasgow

ff859470f68757dd3462a097b4d92d4dff09c9cb

Ravenscraig, Lanarkshire

DSCF0995%5B2%5D.jpg

Aberdeen Sports Village

Indoor-Pitch-3.jpg

Performance Centre, Dundee

Dundee-Performance-Centre-6.JPG?crop=foc

Ravenscraig certainly doesn’t look suitable for competitive football. Looks like a tolerated, but not ideal training environment.

Orium and toryglen maybe not, but they could potentially still cause issues,  torryglen roof looks within range and Orium is at risk on the touchlines at least.

On atmosphere I wonder if minor adaptations such as a few openings could make a difference, can an equilibrium be found avoiding echo but limiting elements enough to aboid a call offs(which surely is the only reason to build these facilities)

Dundee and Aberdeen are built for training only so avoid such questions

On 19/02/2022 at 00:01, parsforlife said:

Ravenscraig certainly doesn’t look suitable for competitive football. Looks like a tolerated, but not ideal training environment.

Orium and toryglen maybe not, but they could potentially still cause issues,  torryglen roof looks within range and Orium is at risk on the touchlines at least.

On atmosphere I wonder if minor adaptations such as a few openings could make a difference, can an equilibrium be found avoiding echo but limiting elements enough to aboid a call offs(which surely is the only reason to build these facilities)

Dundee and Aberdeen are built for training only so avoid such questions

Tbh there's enough space at Cairdy to put some seats, if needs be.

• 5 months later...
On 20/02/2022 at 09:56, Lurkst said:

I think it'd be cool to have an indoor arena capable of hosting crowds of a few thousand in Scotland. But it seems that even with all the money sloshing about in Norway it's a difficult thing to make financially viable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor_Arena

98c1c06b-5943-4297-995c-160e86b3f57f?fit

I was flicking through the channels in Norway once and came across a womens game being played in there. Was there not a team in Lithuania (or one of the Baltic countries) who played indoors? Vaguely remember seeing that on YouTube once. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 23:29, HibeeJibee said:

Sunday 19th March 2017     Spartans 2-1 Lothian Thistle HV     EOS Qualifying Cup, Final     crowd c400

Saturday 6th January 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-2 Stirling University     EOS League     crowd c50

Saturday 17th March 2018     Heriot-Watt University 2-3 Leith Athletic     EOS League      crowd c200

Friday 18th February 2022     Edinburgh College 2-2 Pumpherston     EOS League First Division Conference X     crowd c100

For completeness... #5 in history followed on Good Friday (I wasn't there):

Friday 15th April 2022     Edinburgh College 0-2 Whitburn     EOS League First Division Conference X

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2022 at 23:29, HibeeJibee said:

I think the indoor facility Celtic are putting together at Barrowfield is for the women’s team… who play a summer league

2 hours ago, Booker-T said:

I think the indoor facility Celtic are putting together at Barrowfield is for the women’s team… who play a summer league

They used to play in a summer league but switched back to the winter a couple of years ago.

I saw a women's cup semi final years ago at Toryglen when Hibs beat Glasgow City. Just as well it was indoors- it was monsoon conditions outside!

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Tomorrow witnesses #6 in history as Heriot-Watt University v Lochgelly Albert heads indoors (2pm at Oriam).

EDIT:

Saturday 17th December 2022     Heriot-Watt University 3-0 Lochgelly Albert     EOS League Second Division

Edited by HibeeJibee