Help required to confirm 5 Lowland League scores from previous seasons

Dead

I am currently re-checking my records of Lowland League results from 2013/14 to date, which I have been keeping over the years, whilst at the same time cross checking my end of season Lowland League tables. I am spot on with virtually everything except 5 matches which I am struggling to confirm the exactly results.

From a number of different sources, including the SLFL website and Andy McGregor’s fantastic Scottish Football Almanacs, the results of these matches vary which also means that there are different end of season final Lowland League tables on the web and in print.  From past experience I would normalyy trust, in the 1st instance, the Almanacs.

If anyone is able to confirm the exact results of the 5 matches below that I am having issues with I would be really grateful. Failing that I will have to try to go back to try to locate any old match reports from the matches or see if the clubs themselves (the defunct Selkirk being the obvious exception) can confirm the correct scores.

There are 3 from 2013/14

10/8/2013 – Whitehill Welfare v Gala Fairydean Rovers  4-2 or 4-1

5/4/2014 – Whitehill Welfare v Preston Athletic 3-1 or 2-1

3/5/2014 – Threave Rovers v Preston Athletic 2-2 or 2-1

The other 2 are from 2016/17

27/8/2016 – Selkirk v University of Stirling 2-4 or 2-5

8/10/2016 – University of Stirling v Edinburgh University 1-0 or 3-1

Cheers.

The issue with season 2013/14 is that wiki source is the SLFL website and then the table and results on the the SLFL website are said to be sourced by wiki. Same author no doubt which is more than fine. So where were the actually results sourced from ?

However, apart from the Almanacs I have seen other "sources" whcih either confirm the wiki/SLFL details or the Almanac details.

Overwhelming everything on the SLFL website and wiki are perfect but I just want to iron out every anomoly as I know to my cost, as a stats guy, errors do creep in from time to time.

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thanks for both of these !  Also , thanks for digging these out edpecially as they are as "source" as they are can possible be.

That season 2014/15 now fixed. Just 3 of the 1823 all time Lowland League games left to confirm now.

Thanks both for you confirming for the remianing 2013/14 results :)

Unbelaive that you all found the issue results detalls o quickly!

I will just update my records and tables now. If anyone ever wants a copy of my dynamtic excel spreadsheet of the Lowland League complete results from 2013/14 to date including tables, grid resutls per season and all-time tables just send me a PM.

I wiill go back and re-check everything over the weekend but I believe that the final 2016/17 Lowland League table on the SLFL website and wiki is not quite right re goals for University of Stirling, it is 1 short. Certainly the scoreline for the University of Stirling v Edinburgh University game should be 3-1 instead of 1-0 (as per confirmed above).

My table and results grid subject to my final re-check is :-

image.thumb.png.609ef7fc682f7a1f13269f126aee2882.png

image.thumb.png.29a1a08a12cd1f2d5fa32ca576313f21.png

In comparision, the 2016/17 Table on the SLFL website is :-

image.thumb.png.4266faad1ad312f7f56ae33fcedada35.png

The wiki one is

image.png.8c96d2b6019fdc8ff93f0f6fc238fe37.png

And finally the wiki results grid is :-

image.png.a4ecaed2a3a5a6a9d75fd92c391933e3.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Dead said:

I wiill go back and re-check everything over the weekend but I believe that the final 2016/17 Lowland League table on the SLFL website and wiki is not quite right re goals for University of Stirling, it is 1 short. Certainly the scoreline for the University of Stirling v Edinburgh University game should be 3-1 instead of 1-0 (as per confirmed above).

Not sure if you've done it but I compared your results and tables to the wiki and got these differences:

CC v G08, GRF v Stirling Uni, Stirling v Ed Uni - plus Stirling Uni's GF and Selkirk's GA.

The wiki's table and results aren't connected though so they can be edited independently.

Edited by Ginaro

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Remember that Vale were deducted 6pts for fielding too many triallists in their last 2 games of 2013-14 which dropped them below Gretna. Few sources (including Wikipeda) show it but their own website does:

http://valeofleithen.co.uk/season-2013-14/

image.png.9f8681da02cc0af05e220bdf7100d385.png

Thanks for the info. I hadn't picked up on that. I will now including that in my own table.

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure if you've done it but I compared your results and tables to the wiki and got these differences:

CC v G08, GRF v Stirling Uni, Stirling v Ed Uni - plus Stirling Uni's GF and Selkirk's GA.

The wiki's table and results aren't connected though so they can be edited independently.

Thanks for looking at this and highlighting other issues..

I think that perhaps the 2 goals for and against errors are a mash up of the issues with the 2 results from that season I highlighted above but I will be going back through everything. Will kep me busy !

My results grid and table are pulled through and calculate automatically from the same core results so if any changes need to be made then it wil be in my actual results data.

1 hour ago, Dead said:

Thanks for looking at this and highlighting other issues..

I think that perhaps the 2 goals for and against errors are a mash up of the issues with the 2 results from that season I highlighted above but I will be going back through everything. Will kep me busy !

My results grid and table are pulled through and calculate automatically from the same core results so if any changes need to be made then it wil be in my actual results data.

Corroborate results+tables with: https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/208/3/

That has Stirling Uni beating Selkirk 5-2... in disagreement with the official SU media team!!

Edit: this site https://www.besoccer.com/match/selkirk/stirling-university/201765551 also has 5-2.

Edit 2: it seems the big match was a huge attraction in er, Denmark too. where they give it as 5-2 but only list 4 goals for the Uni.

https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/kamp/selkirk-vs-stirling-university-fc/13200528/

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn