Paris

Newbornbairn

17 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Heading to Paris in May but still not booked a hotel - Mrs Ned has earmarked a place outside the centre that is well priced and gets great reviews (close to a station, easy to get into town etc)

I dont know Paris well enough to make a call on it - anyone able to give an educated opinion?

Best Western Plus Suitcase Paris La Défense.
+33 1 41 32 11 01
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZQxgahGsi1wGqQSg7

Looks a bit far out. I stayed here - https://all.accor.com/hotel/A025/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps  20 minute walk into the middle of town, loads of restaurants nearby. Nice hotel run by women. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Calling it La Défense is a bit cheeky, but the only thing I see is the Train/Metro route access isn’t great…but it does feed to Saint Lazare at least.

Cool, I thought it was quite far out myself but some of the reviews state that it's actually quite good for transport 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll have another look but Mrs Ned is quite set on that one ☹

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Cool, I thought it was quite far out myself but some of the reviews state that it's actually quite good for transport 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll have another look but Mrs Ned is quite set on that one ☹

Mrs. Ned rules…you fight that, you should submit yourself on the 2023 list…

On 28/12/2022 at 19:24, Ned Nederlander said:

Heading to Paris in May but still not booked a hotel - Mrs Ned has earmarked a place outside the centre that is well priced and gets great reviews (close to a station, easy to get into town etc)

I dont know Paris well enough to make a call on it - anyone able to give an educated opinion?

+33 1 41 32 11 01

I like staying a bit out of the centre, less tourist rip offs and you get to eat and drink with the locals.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I like staying a bit out of the centre, less tourist rip offs and you get to eat and drink with the locals.

We were in Rome recently and stayed in a similar area - like you say the restaurants were full of locals - it felt a bit more gritty!

And we used the buses to get into town which was an adventure in itself

Despite having been to Paris I don't know it well enough to judge that particular part of town though.

I haven't stayed in La Defense but from what I remember it's at the end of what is called Voie Triomphale, a long straight line route from Place de Concorde, along Champs d'Elysee through the Arc de Triomphe and out to the square arch.

IIRC it's the business district full of glass edifices and shopping malls.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Booked up for 5 days in April with an air bnb up the Monmarte area. 

Will do the usual shite but wonder if a day at Eurodisney is worth it? (For the bairn obvs)

How about Parc Asterix instead? Haven't been to either but I loved the Asterix comics when I was a kid. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 04/03/2023 at 15:42, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Booked Disneyland for a day. Can’t wait. 😢 

How was it? I'll be there this time next week - was advised to download the App for queue times etc

Edited by Ned Nederlander

2 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

How was it? I'll be there this time next week - was advised to download the App for queue times etc

Mental but good fun.  Seemed to be more adults than kids. We only went to the Disney Park (not the studios one).

App was useful for queue times but not always that accurate.  Only paid for 1 fast pass as we couldnt be arse waiting for one thing the bairn wanted to go on (was only £5) the rest of the time queues were max 30 mins (unless you want a go on the smaller kids stuff).

Enjoy Hyperspace Mountain...

48 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Mental but good fun.  Seemed to be more adults than kids. We only went to the Disney Park (not the studios one).

App was useful for queue times but not always that accurate.  Only paid for 1 fast pass as we couldnt be arse waiting for one thing the bairn wanted to go on (was only £5) the rest of the time queues were max 30 mins (unless you want a go on the smaller kids stuff).

Enjoy Hyperspace Mountain...

Nice one ta

Small World for me :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2022 at 19:24, Ned Nederlander said:

+33 1 41 32 11 01

So that hotel is where we ended up and while I probably wouldn't rush to recommend it I'd certainly use it again myself - the nearest station was about 5 minutes away and we could be in the city centre in next to no time (got a Navigo card which was well worth it but required a photo etc)

Paris itself was awesome, did all the usual but sitting having a couple of drinks next to the river was a wee highlight.