Paris

Newbornbairn

I'm sure I've mentioned it on this site before, but I seen a tramp take a shit on the metro.  He then wiped his arse with soggy newspaper on the floor.  100 odd people crammed down one end of the carriage while he went about his business at the other end.  The carriage emptied at the next stop, but I'm sure those waiting to get on would be in for a treat.

18 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Don't use the public toilets at the entrance to the Louvre, it's €1.50 to piss in a urinal behind a curtain.

Fine place if you like men roasting chestnuts in shopping trollies.

15 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm sure I've mentioned it on this site before, but I seen a tramp take a shit on the metro.  He then wiped his arse with soggy newspaper on the floor.  100 odd people crammed down one end of the carriage while he went about his business at the other end.  The carriage emptied at the next stop, but I'm sure those waiting to get on would be in for a treat.

Can't say I blame him given just a piss is so pricey - how much for a shite?

20 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Don't use the public toilets at the entrance to the Louvre, it's €1.50 to piss in a urinal behind a curtain.

Fine place if you like men roasting chestnuts in shopping trollies.

Are these two sentences the same thing?

Off to Amsterdam in the summer and getting the train back to London via Paris Gare du Nord, and we have a 6-hour stop over from 1pm to 7pm between our arrival in Paris and our train back to London St Pancras.

The Saturday we are making this journey also happens to be the day before my Mrs 30th birthday, and as part of that I’d quite like to take her for a 3-course meal at a decent steakhouse (preferably good food but a pretty casual atmosphere as we won’t be dressing up much during the journey). Anyone know any decent options that aren’t too far from Gare du Nord? 

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Off to Amsterdam in the summer and getting the train back to London via Paris Gare du Nord, and we have a 6-hour stop over from 1pm to 7pm between our arrival in Paris and our train back to London St Pancras.

The Saturday we are making this journey also happens to be the day before my Mrs 30th birthday, and as part of that I’d quite like to take her for a 3-course meal at a decent steakhouse (preferably good food but a pretty casual atmosphere as we won’t be dressing up much during the journey). Anyone know any decent options that aren’t too far from Gare du Nord? 

Nowhere specific but Brasseries like this are probably what you want. Bustley (sp?) atmosphere, casual but good food. Never missed so far in France with similar. Hopefully someone will give you more up to date and experienced advice, last time I was at Gare du Nord I was living on tins of sardines, a baguette, bottle of vin ordinaire and sleeping in a park. :rolleyes:

https://www.terminusnord.com/en/menus/#menu-30591

Edited by welshbairn

16 hours ago, Donathan said:

There is a steak brassiere just outside of the station on the left hand side as you come out of the station...I'm assuming with luggage you don't want to be humping your bags any distance 

Forgot to mention in my last post that I'm going here in a couple of weeks. Staying for 5 nights and it's third time lucky following cancelled trips in 2020 and 2021. 

Not got too much of an itinerary planned yet, but going to Disneyland Paris and Versaille. The latter I wanted to do last time I was there bit didn't feel I'd have enough time. Looking to book the Louvre as well. 

Beyond that we'll take the little one to see the Eiffel Tower lights at night and we'll find some other things to do off the hoof. The Luxembourg Gardens might be a good shout as I've not been there yet. Have done quite a lot of the must-see stuff as I've been twice before, although it's the little one's first time so will do some things again. Disneyland and Versaille will be knackering for the little one so we'll take it fairly easy the other days. 

Really looking forward to it, one of my favourite cities. 

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

Forgot to mention in my last post that I'm going here in a couple of weeks. Staying for 5 nights and it's third time lucky following cancelled trips in 2020 and 2021. 

Not got too much of an itinerary planned yet, but going to Disneyland Paris and Versaille. The latter I wanted to do last time I was there bit didn't feel I'd have enough time. Looking to book the Louvre as well. 

Beyond that we'll take the little one to see the Eiffel Tower lights at night and we'll find some other things to do off the hoof. The Luxembourg Gardens might be a good shout as I've not been there yet. Have done quite a lot of the must-see stuff as I've been twice before, although it's the little one's first time so will do some things again. Disneyland and Versaille will be knackering for the little one so we'll take it fairly easy the other days. 

Really looking forward to it, one of my favourite cities. 

Its the disneyland 30th anniversary so book your dining in advance. 
The eiffel tower is such an amazing sight but just be careful around there at night. 
Louvre was amazing to see, when we were there we had EU young person status so got in for free. f**k brexit. 

57 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its the disneyland 30th anniversary so book your dining in advance. 
The eiffel tower is such an amazing sight but just be careful around there at night. 
Louvre was amazing to see, when we were there we had EU young person status so got in for free. f**k brexit. 

Ship has already sailed for character dining, unfortunately. Found out it was the 30th anniversary far too late and it was sold out when we looked. 

Yeah, we've been to.the Eiffel Tower before at night and I remember the dodgy punters hanging around trying to flog 'champagne' and all sorts of crap. Easily enough ignored but I'll be keeping a close eye on the phone/wallet. 

I am looking forward to joining the hoardes of people that can't believe how small the Mona Lisa is. Too old for any discount so would have to pay anyway,l. The EU can do one*. :lol:

*Brexit remains a bad idea. 

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Ship has already sailed for character dining, unfortunately. Found out it was the 30th anniversary far too late and it was sold out when we looked. 

Yeah, we've been to.the Eiffel Tower before at night and I remember the dodgy punters hanging around trying to flog 'champagne' and all sorts of crap. Easily enough ignored but I'll be keeping a close eye on the phone/wallet. 

I am looking forward to joining the hoardes of people that can't believe how small the Mona Lisa is. Too old for any discount so would have to pay anyway,l. The EU can do one*. :lol:

*Brexit remains a bad idea. 

Even the buffet dining in the parks though mate. The main buffet in the disneyland park was actually very decent, being french they sorta raise the bar on the american versions, desserts superb too. 
The mona lisa is small, but its worth seeing, the rest of the Louvre is superb too. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Even the buffet dining in the parks though mate. The main buffet in the disneyland park was actually very decent, being french they sorta raise the bar on the american versions, desserts superb too. 
The mona lisa is small, but its worth seeing, the rest of the Louvre is superb too. 

Shit, never realised that. I better get on that then and try sort it tonight. Thanks for heads up. 

What would be the best things to do in a single day? I will have a stop over at CDG between an early morning arrival and 10 o'clock flight out at night.

I'm not a museums person at all, so tips on the best places to wander and see a fair bit of the city (or Versailles instead?) and to get a good meal would be welcomed.