Paris

Newbornbairn

Love going down to the Bastille area for eating and drinking but it's Paris most areas would have decent food and beverages.But there's a 24 hr drinking shop I always head for in that area..outside of the metro up the alley right next to the hamburger quick looks like nothing but open at any time 

15 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Going to Paris for a weekend in August. Anyone been? Anything worth doing?

I have been in the bus station, and in Disneyland Paris.

The bus journey was from Glasgow to Paris. It took nearly 24 hours and was genuinely one of the worst experiences of my life. Never again.

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have been in the bus station, and in Disneyland Paris.

The bus journey was from Glasgow to Paris. It took nearly 24 hours and was genuinely one of the worst experiences of my life. Never again.

I too have queued in Disneyland Paris

55 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

According to Trip Advisor, there's a few eateries near our hotel

image.thumb.png.db299811b41135acdf3695bd62eb6de4.png

The first two are likely brothels, the second one certainly. In fact your hotel is probably a brothel.

Edited by welshbairn

Take a trip to the Palace of Versailles for the day. All the usual landmarks are great to take in, especially walking from place to place as even the standard Parisian architecture, the apartments etc, is stunning. We done it in dreich early January, so it will be a lot more vibrant in August.

Like KingJoey, I too am a massive Paris fan. 

And like KJ I also recommend becoming un flaneur during your time there and just wander around. 

I don't know what kind of tourist you are, but I fucking hate rushing around. So I would say don't try and squeeze in as many attractions as you can. Take time to just enjoy being there.

The buskers in the metro station are wonderful. Coffee and pastries are the best in the business. The Quartier Latin (rue de mouftard) is pretty cool, but it's all great. I would go and dauner around the Musee Rodin for some statues an' that. It's a re-purposed stately home and has a gorgeous garden. A really lovely setting. I also want to go back to the Musee D'Orsay to look at Millet's stuff again. 

Och have a great time. And get a cool Parisian playlist. Edith Piaf ("Pigalle" bien sur!) and Zaz (her version of "sous le ciel de Paris" is moreish) should be a good start.

Edited by velo army

August is a good time to go. A lot of the locals leave the city and so despite being the height of summer, it may be a bit less crowded than usual. 

Hard to know where to start in Paris - you won't see everything on a weekend. Narrow it down to a few things you really want to see and then take ot as it comes. Just walking around the city is an experience. 

If you want to go to the Louvre, prebook it (probably mandatory with covid presently) or you'll waste your day in a queue. Would also recommend the Sacre Coeur, which is near your hotel. 

Only negative really is that the metro is next to useless for anyone with mobility issues, expecially for wheelchair users. Line 14 is I think fully accessible, but the rest is hopeless. The RER is I think not bad for accessibility. Only mentioning this as I think @Newbornbairnmay have posted before about his wife having mobility issues, sorry if I've got that mixed up. 

Aye, thanks for remembering that. I checked out a blog from a wheelchair user and I think we'll skip trying to use the train from CDG and just get a taxi. The Louvre is my wife's dream so that's probably the main aim and it's in walking distance (mile and a half or so)

Metro lines 2 and 6 essentially form a big circuit around the city with a lot of stations above street level. For the price of a single ticket this can give you a good orientation of the city however, as others have said, it's perfect for exploring on foot. The stations where those lines intersect are Etoile and Nation.

A lot of restaurants close on a Saturday and Sunday (that French notion of fraterite and egalite) and whilst French food can be wonderful and, if you go prix fixe surprisingly inexpensive, I'd recommend  trying North African food while there, there are plenty of restaurants of that kind in the 9th and 20th arrondisments.

If the weather is nice get a picnic lunch and some plonk and go to the Butte de Chamont which is a park in the north east of the city or Pere Lachaise cemetery.

The Louvre for classical art, Musee D'Orsay for impressionism etc and the Pompidou for modern art. The Monets in The Orangerie located in the Jardin de Tuillieries are spectacular.

ETA another nice place to chill out alfresco is Arene de Lutece, a small Roman amphitheatre near Rue de Mouffetard.

Edited by Arch Stanton