St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It's not a St. Mirren thing to do . Not even remotely. I'm genuinely still shocked we have gone this route and not the usual arse over tit way we normally operate.

Fan-ownership bearing fruit?

Compare and contrast with the way that Dundee handled their change of manager. Nelms making decisions (with Strachan in his ear) perhaps whereas we have a number of SMISA members on our board, working collaboratively and playing a major role in decision-making. 

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Reports of smoke emanating from Greenhill Road to suggest our new manager is in place the Buddie Good Food van has burnt a sausage.

He's in the area anyway....why else would a Morecambe FC branded company car be kicking about the town? :lol: 

FML7gpDWYAIkAA5.thumb.jpg.9e26e463273de4d99bd1c6dfaec3782b.jpg

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It's not a St. Mirren thing to do . Not even remotely. I'm genuinely still shocked we have gone this route and not the usual arse over tit way we normally operate.

A couple of years ago someone at Motherwell (I forget whether it was Burrows or McMahon, one of the pair I think) said that with the way access to European football and the knock-on effect of trickle down income was changing, being in the league from 2022 (again I forget if 2021/22 or 2022/23 was meant) was more essential than ever. Almost to the point of an existential issue for the club as it is (full-time football, massive youth academy etc). 

Okay, we obviously have the Turnbull money but we've had transfer windfalls before and rarely spent the cash like we have this season. St Mirren obviously had a bit of a coup landing Brophy last year and are now speculating to accumulate on Robinson as well it seems. It's great the 'third tier' clubs in the top-flight are being a bit bolder in investing while - you hope - being sustainable fan-run operations. FWIW I really liked Robinson as Motherwell manager, at least till he ran out of steam, and with the obvious exception of not hurting us I hope he does really well for you.

Got to say, this "highest paid ever" tag that the media are throwing out, there is a thing called inflation, almost always a new manager is more highly paid than the last.

Also the media determined that we interviewed and offered both Brown and Naismith contracts, just to cover up from their slavering about them earlier.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Got to say, this "highest paid ever" tag that the media are throwing out, there is a thing called inflation, almost always a new manager is more highly paid than the last.

Also the media determined that we interviewed and offered both Brown and Naismith contracts, just to cover up from their slavering about them earlier.

Amazing how Jack Ross was our highest paid manager then Goodwin and now Robinson.

This government money has came in really handy eh?

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah it's quite a strange thing to be throwing around, Goodwin got it a few times aswell. If your current manager isn't your highest paid ever it just means your club was previously a financial basket case, which i know applies to a few clubs. Salaries rise over time so your current manager should always be your highest ever paid.

Anyway, should be a scarf shot and official announcement shortly and Robbo to take training today. 

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah it's quite a strange thing to be throwing around, Goodwin got it a few times aswell. If your current manager isn't your highest paid ever it just means your club was previously a financial basket case, which i know applies to a few clubs. Salaries rise over time so your current manager should always be your highest ever paid.

Anyway, should be a scarf shot and official announcement shortly and Robbo to take training today. 

I agree with the general argument, but this won't always be the case, especially if you replace a successful, long-serving manager with a rookie.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I agree with the general argument, but this won't always be the case, especially if you replace a successful, long-serving manager with a rookie.

I would still want to be paid more. Would anyone be happy if they found out that someone doing the same job as they are doing now was getting paid more five years ago than they are currently?. Unless we are talking a SAF that had been there for about a decade or something, and that never applies to any Scottish clubs these days. 

1 minute ago, Lex said:

I would still want to be paid more. Would anyone be happy if they found out that someone doing the same job as they are doing now was getting paid more five years ago than they are currently?. Unless we are talking a SAF that had been there for about a decade or something, and that never applies to any Scottish clubs these days. 

I never said anything about 5 years ago, I merely made the point that with salaries potentially dependent on experience, someone wouldn't automatically get a higher salary than their predecessor.

I'd expect the starting salary for an advertised job to be higher each time, but the agreed salary may not be.

image.png.e1e540793f7db8c24c47a43950af2e2a.png

Love a scarf shot. Great business by the club, we've got in an experienced and proven manager with minimum fuss and about 72 hours after the last one left. Looks like he cost us about £150,000 grand less than we got for Goodwin too, so more money for the squad in the summer.