St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

Is football management the only industry where experience is viewed negatively?

I know Guardiola worked being promoted from the B team but hiring random ex player seems a total shot in the dark. If it weren't for Brown and Naismith's exploits as a player they wouldn't be mentioned at all - and being a good player does not make you a good manager - Darren Jackson was an excellent player....

Of the names mentioned, McInnes (if gettable), Adams and Wright seem the best options to me. But for the banter alone it should be Steve Evans - recently sacked by Gillingham and would rocket past Mackay and Martindale as the worst human being involved in Scottish top flight football.

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've seen David Healy mentioned a few times on twitter.  Not sure if there's anything in it or just wishful thinking. He's doing an amazing job by all accounts with Linfield.

If he was in charge of St Mirren playing away to Rangers you would probably need to drag him out of the Broomloan rear. He’s someone who has never hid his affinity towards the shadier side of the Unionist movement in N. Ireland. Linfield suits him down to the ground. 

Coupla ex-OF players each currently in a cal-de-sac in their careers willing to grace us with their presence - yippee!

Naismith would be my preference solely because we'd likely have to give Aberdeen a hefty chunk of the compo money back to get Brown.

Crazy idea - both of them will (presumably) be looking for experienced No.2s, why not just hire said No2?

6 minutes ago, btb said:

Naismith would be my preference solely because we'd likely have to give Aberdeen a hefty chunk of the compo money back to get him.

Crazy idea - both of them will (presumably) be looking for experienced No.2s, why not just hire said No2?

As much as that's a nice idea, the sort of guys who fit the 'experienced number two' profile usually don't make great managers and/or don't want to be. Gary McAllister, for example, or even Tommy Craig.

As for the Aberdeen compo... Brown is out injured for most the rest of the season, and Goodwin have some quotes saying he wanted him involved, while actually making it fairly clear he didn't want him involved. I'll try to dig them out. Of course, that doesn't mean Aberdeen won't be looking for compo, but they might be happy to be shot of him. 

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

As much as that's a nice idea, the sort of guys who fit the 'experienced number two' profile usually don't make great managers and/or don't want to be. Gary McAllister, for example, or even Tommy Craig.

Off the top of my head Gus MacPherson was promoted from within and he did pretty well for us, we could trade individual examples or accept there are no guarantees when selecting a new manager - I'd still prefer said No2.

My real irk is the line you didn't quote

Coupla ex-OF players each currently in a cal-de-sac in their careers willing to grace us with their presence - yippee!

I'm speculating but say, for example, Ryan Flynn has done his coaching badges, I'd rather take the "punt on an unknown quantity" on him with, of course, an experienced No2.

Edited by btb

So the Friday night story about Aberdeen granting us permission to talk to Brown must have been genuine. I guess he stayed in the central belt to see the board after the game at Fir Park.

As a wee aside, what that means then is, going by Goodwin's Saturday interview, no-one told him that permission had been granted for his captain to speak to us. Being the control freak that he is, that won't be going down well and he's left looking a little foolish.

A interesting start to the Cormack / Goodwin relationship.

11 minutes ago, GAD said:

If that Sun article is correct then it looks like we spoke to Brown, then immediately went and tried to get Ross instead! Maybe not looking so good for Broony...

The JR story will have been given to a journalist by JR whose priority is to make JR look good.... I would take it with a decent pinch of salt. Maybe we just asked to speak to him and he said "would you pay me £X?" and we said "no" and that was it.

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Genuinely interested to know how you are able to gauge the difference between the two. Brown was involved in the Celtic youth teams in the last couple of years at Parkhead, and was player/assistant at Aberdeen. Naismith has apparently been doing the same at Hearts youth teams but there’s absolutely no indication that either of them are ready for a managers gig in the Premiership.

If it was up to me we would me staying away from the pair of them, and shedding the unwanted ‘ex-OF’ baggage they will bring. If St Mirren were to go and win at Parkhead or Ibrox under the management of Brown we would be lucky to get a mention in the paper, it would all be about Brown, and vice versa with Naismith. Let them go and find a club in League One or the  Championship, I really don’t understand why so many people have become so accepting of this calibre of manager so quickly. 

To be honest, if St Mirren were to win at Ibrox or Parkhead, I couldn't care less what the tacky redtops print. 

As tedious as all that crap might be, it isn't something we should be unduly concerning ourselves with.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mcinnes would have to be a total shitebag to jump from killie so early. 

1) I don’t believe he is so it’s not really realistic and 2) why would st Mirren fans want him if he was willing to do that. 

There's not a chance we'll pay Kilmarnock a year's salary to buy out McInnes in top of his wage demands. I'm not sure where this expectation is coming from.

I think it'd be reasonable to break it down like this:

1) Is there an outstanding candidate from the lower Scottish leagues or Ireland that we could look at? No in Scotland; I don't follow the Irish leagues closely enough but it's obviously a route we've gone down before. There's one guy on Twitter who keeps mentioning Healy.

2) Is there an out-of-work manager that we would actually want to employ, with a base in Scotland (ish), who would be a sensible choice? Ross was the obvious, but he's out. So... Wright? His Killie spell put me off. Lennon, Adams and Lambert I'm far from sold on. I'm struggling to think of any others.

2) Is there an out-of-work manager anywhere in Britain/Ireland who would realistically move to the central belt? Grant McCann leaps out at me, but I'm not sure if he'll move or if we could afford him. I'm not sure anyone would move in the current climate.

3) Is there anyone internally we could promote? I'd say probably not right now.

4) Are there ex-players with coaching badges who fancy the gig? Clearly: Naismith and Brown as discussed.

5) Are there external applicants that we're not aware of? Almost certainly. There was a throwaway line in a report at the weekend about us having been "inundated with CVs". Last time I heard that we employed Stubbs. The time before I heard that, we employed Craig. So I'll not hold my breath that there's a gleaming CV in the pile.

When you break it down like that - and I don't think I've missed any profiles there - it's hard to envy those making the decision.

Just to demonstrate my point, Radio Scotland somehow saying how good it was we were going for completely untried managers with OF connections.

Amy McBeth, I believe was the presenter. It really does annoy me that idiot media people just make that huge assumption "oh, they played for the OF, that must me this wee club will be begging for them to join"

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

If it's a choice between Naismith and Brown I'd have to go for Naismith. 

I don't see why it should be a choice between they two, why sell ourselves short. 

Whoever it is will get my backing. Unless it's Nacho Novo. He can get fucked. 

Neither do I. I hope to god there are more names that haven't made it into the media yet. Wild if no one else is under consideration.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Neither do I. I hope to god there are more names that haven't made it into the media yet. Wild if no one else is under consideration.

It's been a surprisingly subdued set of candidates. I don't know if that's because it happened so quickly or that the board have their sights set on people and aren't fielding random CVs.

55 minutes ago, Ric said:

Just to demonstrate my point, Radio Scotland somehow saying how good it was we were going for completely untried managers with OF connections.

Amy McBeth, I believe was the presenter. It really does annoy me that idiot media people just make that huge assumption "oh, they played for the OF, that must me this wee club will be begging for them to join"

That's the scumbag loving MSM for you.