St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

Fwiw I like Robinson a lot and can only echo all the positives everyone else has mentioned.

That said, his league record since the start of 2020 is P:60 W:13 D:17 L:30. That's relegation form in anyone's book, and while I think he's a better manager than the stats reflect, he's been losing every other week for the last two years now. Interesting to see if he can arrest that slide. 

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That said, his league record since the start of 2020 is P:60 W:13 D:17 L:30. That's relegation form in anyone's book, and while I think he's a better manager than the stats reflect, he's been losing every other week for the last two years now. Interesting to see if he can arrest that slide. 

While I'll not debate the figures, the caveat would be the Morecambe position. He was only there for 6 months, but even their own fan base admit it was going to be a struggle.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

While I'll not debate the figures, the caveat would be the Morecambe position. He was only there for 6 months, but even their own fan base admit it was going to be a struggle.

Yeah there's definitely extenuating circumstances. I'm just curious to see how he fares going from that sort of form to a St Mirren team on the crest of a wave.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah there's definitely extenuating circumstances. I'm just curious to see how he fares going from that sort of form to a St Mirren team on the crest of a wave.

Pretty sure any manager can pick the same line up and say "just give it to Jordan".

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's terrible.

Any success at Motherwell was down to two exceptional players Louis Moult and David Turnbull and he didn't even realise Turnball was exceptional until about a year after anyone else that saw him. His eye for a player is hopeless and he plays his favourites every week regardless. 

The period between Moult leaving and Turnbull FINALLY getting selected was probably the most dispiriting, bleak, utterly wretched time in 40 years as a Motherwell supporter.

When he's not signing his own son, he gets sub standard hoof the ball players from the English non league boondocks.  Tactics straight out of 1985 English 3 Division  play book.  In game management is lamentable. 

Robinson should be paying a gratuity cheque to Stevie Craigan because without his U20s team producing so much talent (Campbell, Turnbull, Scott, Hastie etc) he'd have been sacked far earlier than he was and without top quality players in his side his own talents are quickly found out.

His 3rd place finish would never have happened without the season being curtailed due to Covid (had won 2 in 10 and basically gone off a cliff from he never recovered). And while we did have good performances in the League Cup Final run, the Scottish Cup Final run was a complete fluke.  Our top scorer on the run was O.G. and Aberdeen's semi final performance was the most farcical I've ever seen.  

I believe he's won 6 out of his last 29 in the SPFL and the state of the team he left behind him at Fir Park was shocking. He left a team almost entirely without even basic technical ability (passing? ha!) and team morale was at the bottom of a very deep pit.

Maybe there will be the new manager bounce and St Mirren's tails are probably up after a good run.  But long term, once his influence really starts to take hold, he's a disaster.

You have been warned.

You could probably twist this post around to suit Jim Goodwin’s tenure at St Mirren in many ways. 

Who knows you could be right it might not work out in the end. But given the level of candidate available I think we’ve done ok with this appointment.

For clubs of our size and standing the percentage of success in choosing mangers is pretty much down to luck.

He has the required experience and has contacts so it’s much less of a gamble than appointing some ex old firm rookie, because they are a big name within the game in Scotland.

27 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

uh, not too exciting an appointment. Good luck to St Mirren.

When you go into detail nah its not really exciting as such, i'm not expecting to be blown away with exciting expansive attacking football but we werent playing like that under Jim, also the names mentioned in the media gave us the fear.

I asked for someone who had experience and success in this league. I would even have taken Tommy Wright till the end of the season just to see us over the line so I can't moan about the appointment. 

When was the last time we appointed an exciting choice?

I mentioned this previously, we've never gone for anyone seriously left-field or someone who was "dropping down" to our level.

Robinson may not be "exciting" in that sense, but the very fact most will go, "You know? Not that bad a choice", is good enough for me.

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm a bit disappointed that you don't. Opportunity missed.

Well even though it's clear I can't spot it when there is, it does seem like a fairly obvious thing to do.