St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Unfortunately with these sort of incidents mud sticks.

He was found not guilty regarding his partner (she's 18 years younger than he is, that raised my eyebrows, tbh), so that should be the end of that, but we all know (alleged) domestic abuse cases are very murky waters.

The thing about bullying young players is also a concern, but it could depend on how you define bullying.

I'm afraid these things are going to be thrown up constantly. although they don't appear to have been (much?) of a concern at Morecambe.

Well, not really. With his gf....they were out in Edinburgh, guys were giving them verbals and said something to her, and rather than cause a fuss he played it all down and took her away. They made it to the bridge and she was steaming and going nuts, asking why he hadn't backed her up and saying he should have stood up to them and he was holding her trying to calm her down. Some lassie saw him shouting at her and holding her against the fence, and reported it. His Mrs was fully open, embarrased and apologetic about it all afterwards but because it had been officially reported by a 3rd party it had to go through the court process. Everyone involved, including the lassie that had reported it and the CCTV footage, all backed up that it was a misunderstanding and the wrong end of the stick.

Regarding the bullying of young players, it came from one young player who wasn't getting a chance because he wasn't good enough, and this was backed up by other players who had seen the treatment, and countless other players who had nothing but good things to say about the way he treats his players, especially the youngsters.

Mud only sticks if folk keep on throwing it for no reason.

Edited by Al B

35 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

As long as you don't go to sell your entire squad (or let them go out of contract) each summer then he should be a great fit.

We've spent years generally yo-yo'ing between here and the Championship, granted more years in the top league than not, but it still requires alterations of budget and player sales.

So in the sense we need Robinson to save Robinson from needing to do the thing that Robinson "did badly" at Motherwell.

24 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm afraid these things are going to be thrown up constantly. although they don't appear to have been (much?) of a concern at Morecambe.

You mean, like.. by you, right now?

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Well, not really. With his gf....they were out in Edinburgh, guys were giving them verbals and said something to her, and rather than cause a fuss he played it all down and took her away. They made it to the bridge and she was steaming and going nuts, asking why he hadn't backed her up and saying he should have stood up to them and he was holding her trying to calm her down. Some lassie saw him shouting at her and holding her against the fence, and reported it. His Mrs was fully open, embarrased and apologetic about it all afterwards but because it had been officially reported by a 3rd party it had to go through the court process. Everyone involved, including the lassie that had reported it and the CCTV footage, all backed up that it was a misunderstanding and the wrong end of the stick.

Regarding the bullying of young players, it came from one young player who wasn't getting a chance because he wasn't good enough, and this was backed up by other players who had seen the treatment, and countless other players who had nothing but good things to say about the way he treats his players, especially the youngsters.

Mud only sticks if folk keep on throwing it for no reason.

O.K., Mr Smug.

This is Scottish football, it will be thrown and dragged up fairly often, imho.

ETA: Shouldn't have said that.

Edited by Jacksgranda

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

You mean, like.. by you, right now?

No, I didn't mean, like, by me, right now.

I was posting an observation, if you don't like it, tough tittie.

You can go back to spamming the thread now and answering every other post.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

We've spent years generally yo-yo'ing between here and the Championship, granted more years in the top league than not, but it still requires alterations of budget and player sales.

So in the sense we need Robinson to save Robinson from needing to do the thing that Robinson "did badly" at Motherwell.

Tbf that was our structure before Robison came in and he did well with it at first. The issue was basically him making 4 different squads within 3 seasons and the finall season was a last ditch effort. I think the board didn't want him to leave either but he knew he couldn't resolve the issue and didn't want to continue with it. 

Thank god Alexander was avilable. Otherwise we might have gotten another Mcghee or Baraclough in.

Amd while I hope he is successful at St mirren I would rather he be "below Motherwell" terms of successful. 5th place could still be a European spot this season after all.

He's terrible.

Any success at Motherwell was down to two exceptional players Louis Moult and David Turnbull and he didn't even realise Turnball was exceptional until about a year after anyone else that saw him. His eye for a player is hopeless and he plays his favourites every week regardless. 

The period between Moult leaving and Turnbull FINALLY getting selected was probably the most dispiriting, bleak, utterly wretched time in 40 years as a Motherwell supporter.

When he's not signing his own son, he gets sub standard hoof the ball players from the English non league boondocks.  Tactics straight out of 1985 English 3 Division  play book.  In game management is lamentable. 

Robinson should be paying a gratuity cheque to Stevie Craigan because without his U20s team producing so much talent (Campbell, Turnbull, Scott, Hastie etc) he'd have been sacked far earlier than he was and without top quality players in his side his own talents are quickly found out.

His 3rd place finish would never have happened without the season being curtailed due to Covid (had won 2 in 10 and basically gone off a cliff from he never recovered). And while we did have good performances in the League Cup Final run, the Scottish Cup Final run was a complete fluke.  Our top scorer on the run was O.G. and Aberdeen's semi final performance was the most farcical I've ever seen.  

I believe he's won 6 out of his last 29 in the SPFL and the state of the team he left behind him at Fir Park was shocking. He left a team almost entirely without even basic technical ability (passing? ha!) and team morale was at the bottom of a very deep pit.

Maybe there will be the new manager bounce and St Mirren's tails are probably up after a good run.  But long term, once his influence really starts to take hold, he's a disaster.

You have been warned.

39 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

O.K., Mr Smug.

This is Scottish football, it will be thrown and dragged up fairly often, imho.

Yup, nothing screams smugness like clarifying that a man doesn't beat women and bully children. What am I like eh?

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's terrible.

Any success at Motherwell was down to two exceptional players Louis Moult and David Turnbull and he didn't even realise Turnball was exceptional until about a year after anyone else that saw him. His eye for a player is hopeless and he plays his favourites every week regardless. 

The period between Moult leaving and Turnbull FINALLY getting selected was probably the most dispiriting, bleak, utterly wretched time in 40 years as a Motherwell supporter.

When he's not signing his own son, he gets sub standard hoof the ball players from the English non league boondocks.  Tactics straight out of 1985 English 3 Division  play book.  In game management is lamentable. 

Robinson should be paying a gratuity cheque to Stevie Craigan because without his U20s team producing so much talent (Campbell, Turnbull, Scott, Hastie etc) he'd have been sacked far earlier than he was and without top quality players in his side his own talents are quickly found out.

His 3rd place finish would never have happened without the season being curtailed due to Covid (had won 2 in 10 and basically gone off a cliff from he never recovered). And while we did have good performances in the League Cup Final run, the Scottish Cup Final run was a complete fluke.  Our top scorer on the run was O.G. and Aberdeen's semi final performance was the most farcical I've ever seen.  

I believe he's won 6 out of his last 29 in the SPFL and the state of the team he left behind him at Fir Park was shocking. He left a team almost entirely without even basic technical ability (passing? ha!) and team morale was at the bottom of a very deep pit.

Maybe there will be the new manager bounce and St Mirren's tails are probably up after a good run.  But long term, once his influence really starts to take hold, he's a disaster.

You have been warned.

I mean, I liked him, but I can't really argue with any of that....with the caveat that I very VERY much enjoyed the peak Thunderdome era.

On our last 2 ex-manager appointments in the league, McGhee is an absolute basket case who's as likely to oversee a 10/10 performance as a 0/10, with nothing really in between and no way of knowing which it will be. Robinson is much more of a steady, consistant 4 or 5/10 kinda guy. There's a lot been said about him being hampered by having to do 3 or 4 complete re-builds during his time here, but that was mostly down to a weird phase we went though of continually having 80% of a squad going out of contract in the same week.

Just depends what's more your bag really.

Edited by Al B

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, I didn't mean, like, by me, right now.

I was posting an observation, if you don't like it, tough tittie.

You can go back to spamming the thread now and answering every other post.

:lol:

I was just noising you up considering your petulant post from the other day.

Nice to see how easily wound up you are though.

Edited by Ric

The Marcambe fans' reaction on Twitter has been superb. Really enjoyable stuff.

I thought to myself that perhaps Morcambe were a bigger deal than I realised. Their fans are in disbelief that Robinson would leave them for a pub league.

So I took a quick glance at their squad. Imagine my surprise to see some of the former SPFL names in their current team, including;

Ryan McLaughlin (Aberdeen on loan)

Greg Leigh (Aberdeen)

Anthony O'Connor (Aberdeen)

Aaron Wildig (Accies on loan)

Dylan Connolly (St Mirren)

Jon Obika  (St Mirren)

Adam Phillips (Accies on loan)

Trevor Carson (Motherwell, Dundee Utd)

Rhys Bennett (Falkirk on loan)

It's a who's who of journeymen footballers who have at some point in their careers touched down in Scotland before heading back down south to the backwaters of the English lower leagues.

In short, they're delusional.