St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

Just now, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

News stories based on bookies odds are usually a sound source for what's actually happening, eh?

Aye, all that article in The Sun is saying is that folk have been putting money on him.

I'd guess half the punters who've chucked a fiver at his name don't realise he's got a club let alone a 3 year deal.

Having kept half an eye on him since he's moved to Morecambe he seems settled and has been pretty well backed. They've brought in our old HoR and he's got them in touching distance of safety having had a few decent results and performances, they beat Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season and were a bit unlucky against Spurs in the cup.

News stories based on bookies odds are usually a sound source for what's actually happening, eh?

It’s a sign that someone’s lumped big money on Robinson, could be nothing of course.
However, the first inkling that I seen about McGhee going to Dundee was when McBookie suspended the betting after someone, who was clearly ITK, stuck a wedge on him.
Doesn’t appear to make much sense considering he seems to be doing okay with Morecambe, but they are sitting in the relegation spots.
Can only think he wants to move back to Scotland and Morecambe would be happy to let him go for nothing given their position.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, all that article in The Sun is saying is that folk have been putting money on him.

I'd guess half the punters who've chucked a fiver at his name don't realise he's got a club let alone a 3 year deal.

I've always wondered what sort of value you need to back someone in order to get their name up a list like that. Obvs, it's St Mirren manager, I can't imagine it's a large market.

Do you think prospective managers get their mates to all put on a tenner so that they can "force" their way into an interview? Not that I'm saying that's what is happening here.

I mean, sure.. considering the list of candidates we have, he's not going to make that list worse.

He certainly has experience at this level. Seems odd we'd splash out so much, considering it would need to be a decent pay off (unless there is a clause in his contract).

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I mean, sure.. considering the list of candidates we have, he's not going to make that list worse.

He certainly has experience at this level. Seems odd we'd splash out so much, considering it would need to be a decent pay off (unless there is a clause in his contract).

Imagine you're a melter on BAWA still trying to prove we have fundamental money issues while we're also doing this. It's a tough gig.

Edited by Coventry Saint

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

We got a fair wedge for Jim and Lee Sharp, maybe his release clause wasn't as much and we've been impressed by him? 

Certainly has experience at this level, and whilst it ran out of steam at Motherwell, probably better than some of the jobbers listed. 

Edited by flyingscot

Not one I saw coming, not really sure what to make of it. Why did he leave Motherwell - was he sacked or did he jump before he was pushed?

Should at least please those folk who insisted it had to be someone experienced.

Read The Sun story, all it says is SR is the "bookies favourite".

STEPHEN ROBINSON is the new shock favourite to land the St Mirren job.

SunSport understands the ex-Motherwell and current Morecambe manager is a leading contender for the Paisley gig.

Robinson currently leads the betting market at 6/4 odds with Brown and Naismith second and third in the betting at 2/1 and 3/1.

Would be happy with SR, but will still be gobsmaked if it happens...