St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

That's the scumbag loving MSM for you.

I just think it's arrogance rather than anything specifically main stream. I appreciate that for a 2 minute slot that was covering other things you need to condense, but why should the default position be "they were ex-OF player, they are a well kent face, you must be proud to have them connected to the club" rather than the more obvious position of "are they any good"

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I just think it's arrogance rather than anything specifically main stream. I appreciate that for a 2 minute slot that was covering other things you need to condense, but why should the default position be "they were ex-OF player, they are a well kent face, you must be proud to have them connected to the club" rather than the more obvious position of "are they any good"

They don’t seem to know that the OF connections actually go against them with fans of the non OF clubs! 

It’s like a parallel universe! 

Given the lack of creditable options (that we are aware of) at the moment, I’m now leaning more to a McManus/Langfield interim gig. This would hopefully keep the status quo and buy the board a bit of time to assess what is out there, the downside to that is it could affect out recruitment for next season as I expect had Goodwin still been here that would have begun already.

I wouldn’t be at all disappointed to see Scott Brown leave the Dons. I’m not saying he’s been a wage thief or anything like that. I’m sure he’s been the proverbial great pro, but he doesn’t have the energy that I think we need. So if we can get him off the wage bill , fine.

If you do go for Brown , though , he’d maybe want , or feel obliged , to take Stephen Glass with him as assistant. 

14 minutes ago, A96 said:

I wouldn’t be at all disappointed to see Scott Brown leave the Dons.

That is one of the reasons we should not appoint him. At this moment Aberdeen are below us while a win with our game in hand would have us in 4th. We are direct competitors, it is absolutely crazy to do the work of your opponent.

He's unfit, couldn't play for us anyway, and presumably would cost money. It's a lose/lose all round for us to take on Brown - the only caveat being that would be seen differently if he was a success but that's just too big a hail Mary to gamble on, especially as he was part of the disastrous Glass regime.

Goodwin has intentionally said he wants Brown to stay, and I think our board should respect that decision.

Edit: the irony is, of course, that when Goodwin was manager if there was even a sniff that Brown could join us, he'd be at that like a ferret down a rabbit hole.

Edited by Ric

32 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think we have to get a permanent manager in. Interim will just mean this situation in the summer and issues with players being kept the new manager doesn't want etc.

This, a million times.

Any advantage we have in terms of transfer strategy that will come with security relatively early safety will be completely shat out the window by an interim appointment. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think it'd be reasonable to break it down like this:

1) Is there an outstanding candidate from the lower Scottish leagues or Ireland that we could look at? No in Scotland; I don't follow the Irish leagues closely enough but it's obviously a route we've gone down before. There's one guy on Twitter who keeps mentioning Healy.

2) Is there an out-of-work manager anywhere in Britain/Ireland who would realistically move to the central belt? Grant McCann leaps out at me, but I'm not sure if he'll move or if we could afford him. I'm not sure anyone would move in the current climate.

Someone also mentioned this guy. Now I don't know what Shamrock Rovers pay but I'm guessing it's not miles outwith our financial scope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Bradley_(footballer)

While I think we need to appoint a new manager sooner rather than later, I don't think it's necessary to do so within the next week. I'm sure the BoD will have had it under consideration for since they said compo would have to be sorted out before Aberdeen could talk to JG (last Tuesday IIRC). 

OMG - just seen the McBookies list above turely  horrible!

All bookmakers odds are based on betting, not facts, so those sorts of lists I don't take as being representative of the candidates.

People putting money on some of those hopeless cases clearly have more money than sense.