St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

I mean if the man was asked, then fine, I'll be honest, I'm much happier to get that out the way than spend days waiting for an answer.

I think it would have been a problem if he wasn't spoken to.

Edited by Ric

2 hours ago, Stu said:

That was pretty much what happened. As always, there was plenty of speculation about who the new manager should be and not a single person mentioned Rae - apart from Chick Young.

I seem to recall Young and Rae played fives together. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Young who suggested to Gilmour he should go for Rae.

Anyway, it's always funny/rich seeing Gilmour stirring it with stuff like last night given the shambles that was the last few years of him and his pals running the club.

Rae was also pictured standing at T in the Park on the Friday night before our opening game of the season against Dumbarton I think it was. Which we went on to lose 3-1. Rae was a horrific appointment and it’s not a surprise that he’s not had a job since, he’s a grown up skinny wee ned that still tours the country picking up speaking engagements at ‘sash bashes’. 

12 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I agree with this assessment.

Genuinely interested to know how you are able to gauge the difference between the two. Brown was involved in the Celtic youth teams in the last couple of years at Parkhead, and was player/assistant at Aberdeen. Naismith has apparently been doing the same at Hearts youth teams but there’s absolutely no indication that either of them are ready for a managers gig in the Premiership.

If it was up to me we would me staying away from the pair of them, and shedding the unwanted ‘ex-OF’ baggage they will bring. If St Mirren were to go and win at Parkhead or Ibrox under the management of Brown we would be lucky to get a mention in the paper, it would all be about Brown, and vice versa with Naismith. Let them go and find a club in League One or the  Championship, I really don’t understand why so many people have become so accepting of this calibre of manager so quickly. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Genuinely interested to know how you are able to gauge the difference between the two. Brown was involved in the Celtic youth teams in the last couple of years at Parkhead, and was player/assistant at Aberdeen. Naismith has apparently been doing the same at Hearts youth teams but there’s absolutely no indication that either of them are ready for a managers gig in the Premiership.

I think you are right, it is really difficult for "us normies" to know just what level they are at, and that is made worse by the goldfish bowl of Scottish football, where pundits, ex-players, agents are all one and the same, and will not shy away from the platitudes whether justified or not.

I personally think it's a bit insulting, and I say this in general, I'd think the same for other clubs in and around us, when first time managers are automatically assumed to be accepted at provincial clubs because they were once OF players.

For what it's worth, I actually think Brown and Naismith could go on to be decent managers. If you take the "baggage" away from Brown I don't think he comes across badly whenever he's spoken to the media, outwith OF nonsense stuff of course. The same can be said of Naismith, too. There is Naismith's suggested link with Kibble, and to be fair he does a lot of charity work which is obviously a nice "tick box" vanity thing for the club.

I'd still prefer someone with more experience though, and of what we've seen Brown has been involved in a fairly disastrous reign in Aberdeen, while reports of Naismith's progression has been more positive, albeit at a "lower" level.

Would we have taken Maloney? First time manager, good experience as an assistant under Martinez, but not at club level. Hibs took that plunge and it's not being unfair to say it's looked a bit shaky at times for them, and they've arguably got the better team on paper.

It’s an interesting train of thought:
Experience = good
No experience = bad
Plenty of first time managers are a success, plenty of experienced managers are a failure (Hay, Stubbs?)
We are in a position to take a gamble. I’m not against a young untested manager coming in to the end of the season and seeing how it goes. If it doesn’t work we can always make a change in May.
McGarry is an ex fan favourite and seems to have done well for himself coaching in Australia. Why not?

Just now, Lex said:

We are in a position to take a gamble.

I mean, you are right, it's a luxury we've not had in a very (very) long time.

If I'm brutally honest, all I care about is staying in the league. The whole top 6 thing is all fine and well, but as I'm sure most will know I'm an old c*nt (not that old ;)) and I remember when we regularly finished in such positions. If we make it, we make it, if we don't we don't.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think you are right, it is really difficult for "us normies" to know just what level they are at, and that is made worse by the goldfish bowl of Scottish football, where pundits, ex-players, agents are all one and the same, and will not shy away from the platitudes whether justified or not.

I personally think it's a bit insulting, and I say this in general, I'd think the same for other clubs in and around us, when first time managers are automatically assumed to be accepted at provincial clubs because they were once OF players.

For what it's worth, I actually think Brown and Naismith could go on to be decent managers. If you take the "baggage" away from Brown I don't think he comes across badly whenever he's spoken to the media, outwith OF nonsense stuff of course. The same can be said of Naismith, too. There is Naismith's suggested link with Kibble, and to be fair he does a lot of charity work which is obviously a nice "tick box" vanity thing for the club.

I'd still prefer someone with more experience though, and of what we've seen Brown has been involved in a fairly disastrous reign in Aberdeen, while reports of Naismith's progression has been more positive, albeit at a "lower" level.

Would we have taken Maloney? First time manager, good experience as an assistant under Martinez, but not at club level. Hibs took that plunge and it's not being unfair to say it's looked a bit shaky at times for them, and they've arguably got the better team on paper.

Agree with most of that tbh, but I don’t even think its because they are ex-OF that they are getting so strongly linked, it’s the natural progression of football where prominent players who so choose to, will go on to become managers. 

When I first heard Browns name being mentioned I dismissed it instantly, and if we were sitting marooned at the bottom of the Premiership or mid table in the Championship I would be absolutely all for it. I’ve always said Brown is a guy that you despise playing against but love to have him in your team. I hated him at Celtic but cheered his antics for Scotland. With regards to Naismith and Kibble connections/charity work, that shouldn’t be playing a factor in any way whatsoever. Both Brown and  Naismith do not have the requisite experience to take on the St Mirren managers job at this current time, no ifs buts or maybes about it. Again you are absolutely correct, they could both be the second coming of Fergie and all they need is a chance to show it. The probability of that is small though, and not worth the risk for St Mirren in their current position. 

Maloney came from a slightly different background, where he had been working alongside Martinez at a team ranked 3 or 4 in the world for many years. I would say though, if Maloney was still at Belgium and getting linked with the Saints job I wouldn’t be too enamoured with that choice either. 

If Ross has knocked it back I think we should go for McInnes. Kilmarnock not guaranteed to earn promotion from the Championship at this time with Arbroath doing so well, I think he would jump at the chance to get back in to the Premiership, at a team that he can experiment with for the rest of the season without the threat of relegation.  He still stays in the area, he’s actually a member of my golf club, and the highest calibre of manager I think we could get at this point. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Agree with most of that tbh, but I don’t even think its because they are ex-OF that they are getting so strongly linked, it’s the natural progression of football where prominent players who so choose to, will go on to become managers.

Yeah, I think we are on the same page, but the bit above, there is definitely a weight applied to the judgement when it comes to ex-OF players. It seems the media assumes we should all be enamoured by their favour, when really, and shown by the exchange we've just had, fans are far more circumspect about such matters.

McInnis still has local ties. His brother still stays in Paisley.

It's obvious that McInnis would come with a more proven track record in management than either Brown or Naismith but to my mind I'd still see him as a retrograde version of Goodwin. It's like playing pontoon and sticking on a 16. 

I'd rather twist and go for Brown (or Naismith) and go for Blackjack. 

We have nothing to lose, as has been said recently on this thread tonight. We're sitting safe on 33 points from 26 games. Relative youth, hunger and controlled aggression have served us well with Goodwin. Lets have some more of that.

Ideally, we'd be looking to get an ex Saints player back as a manager, that would excite me as well. 

Langfield seems to be a safe pair of hands (pun intended) in the short term. 

Exciting times to be a Saints fan.

Edited by Doctor Sanchez

2 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

McInnis still has local ties. His brother still stays in Paisley.

It's obvious that McInnis would come with a more proven track record in management than either Brown or Naismith but to my mind I'd still see him as a retrograde version of Goodwin. It's like playing pontoon and sticking on a 16. 

I'd rather twist and go for Brown (or Naismith) and go for Blackjack. 

We have nothing to lose, as has been said recently on this thread tonight. We're sitting safe on 33 points from 26 games. Relative youth, hunger and controlled aggression have served us well with Goodwin. Lets have some more of that.

Having a ex Saints player back as a manager excites me. 

Langfield seems to be a safe pair of hands (pun intended) in the short term. 

Exciting times to be a.Saints fan.

I beleive McInnes stays in Bridge of Weir so he’s still local himself. 

With regards to your point about taking a gamble on Brown or Naismith, I really can’t get on board with that. Why not give it to Langfield, he knows the current team better than anyone, has been at the club for years and is a lifelong supporter? He might be the best manager we’ve ever had. There’s as much merit in that as there is for Brown or Naismith. 

If it does come down to a pick between those 2, then I would opt for Brown. I think he has a more commanding presence and has proved himself a winner over the years. I’ve never liked him as a player although have no reason to believe he’s anything other than a nice guy off the pitch. It wouldn’t be my first choice, or probably even my 5th choice, but I could envisage Brown being able to handle the club better than Naismith could. 

If there are no rumours of McInnes being interested, then I'm not sure why his name is coming up.

He's a local lad, ok, and he clearly has experience, but Killie are a club not that much different in size to us. They might be in the Championship now, but so were we. He's not been at the club that long, and they are still on track (heh.. just) to return to the premiership next season.

Interestingly throughout all of this, not a single mention of Tommy Wright other than some passing jokes. Not that I'm bothered he's not linked, just surprised he's not even been mentioned as he is clearly a manager that knows the league well. I appreciate he may not fancy the position at all, for all sorts of reasons, and I'm not suggesting we consider him.

Edited by Ric