St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

The more I consider this, the more I can see the argument for giving someone a short-term deal for the remainer of the season, and evaluating the situation during and thereafter.

I was thinking this as well, it’s possibly one of the only times in recent history where we are genuinely safe from relegation in the Premiership, which does give us time to either get someone in to prepare for next season, or bring someone in who hits the ground running. My only concern with the squad is that 3 of our most important players will leave at the end of the season, Jones, Ronan and Gogic. Alnwick is gone as well, which leaves a few gaps throughout the team. Are we hoping Dylan Reid and Henderson step up next year? And no doubt a couple of loans will be brought in again, but I can’t help but feel we will be hard pushed to assemble a squad as good as this season. 

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Ooft, short memory. Here’s a few of them:
Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

He only had three windows emoji16.png He had more failures than successes when it came to recruitment.

Harsh. McShane certainly wasn't a dud.

Todd, Buchanan and Kirkpatrick also did a decent job in a pinch and squad members in the same vein as both Ross Stewarts. I'd argue Todd would have been a good squad member if not for his continually dislocated shoulder.

McCart was nothing other than an emergency loan, a bit like saying Goodwin failed because he signed Zlamal for a couple of games.

No manager gets every signing right.

Goodwin gave us class signings like McGrath & Alnwick but also brought in duds like Andreu, Djorkaeff & Junior Morias. 

JR was the same as was all the previous Saints gaffers in recent times. As long as a manager gets the majority of his signings right then that’s what counts. 

The problem, well it's not a problem a such, is that Ross is probably the best candidate that we know of, and with the chat being he is happy to return, if the board go for anyone else and it doesn't work immediately then I feel they'll get pelters for not employing Ross - even though it's not certain he'll be a success anyway.

Ooft, short memory. Here’s a few of them:
Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

He only had three windows [emoji16] He had more failures than successes when it came to recruitment.

Lol. More failures than successes?

How do you explain:

Reilly
L Smith
Mullen
S McGinn
C Smith
Davis
Stelios
Flynn
P McGinn
Loy
O'Brien
Eckersley
Samson
R Stewart
McShane (regular in the best team in the league - not a failure)

Others have also covered the fact most of those on your list were signed to be squad players and were replaced as soon as better players became available.

1 hour ago, McG said:

Ross does want the job, it’s the board that’s split over it.

Surely when we could be 4th on Wednesday night the board will see that a manager with experience is needed . Let’s get jack back he’s the outstanding candidate - the board I simply do not trust to make the right call

2 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Surely when we could be 4th on Wednesday night the board will see that a manager with experience is needed.

Not just 4th but 2 points ahead of Hibs.

I don't want it to turn into a Ross vs Hibs thing, but you'd think the chance of getting one over on the club that sacked him would be enough motivation to do well in a second spell.

McInnes can't apply, we can approach him (well, Killie) though.

Was more the chance to use apply and applied in the same offering tbh. Well clued up on how under contract managers must be approached thanks lol [emoji38]

6 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Was more the chance to use apply and applied in the same offering tbh. Well clued up on how under contract managers must be approached thanks lol emoji38.png

Fair enough, just making the point.

For what it's worth, I don't think McInnes would have taken up the option. Killie, while hardly tearing up the Championship are a decent sized club where he can do well, and he's hardly in the job.

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was thinking this as well, it’s possibly one of the only times in recent history where we are genuinely safe from relegation in the Premiership.

Only if you don't hire someone whos a grenade, tbf.

Lose on Wednesday and against Hearts and you're potentially 5 points off bottom with 10 to play. A grenade manager makes that a risk.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lose on Wednesday and against Hearts and you're potentially 5 points off bottom with 10 to play. A grenade manager makes that a risk.

I just don't get where my fellow st Mirren fans think we are safe from relegation as you say a couple of defeats and we are right back in the more.

Edited by elvis

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We'd probably still be closer to 4th than 12th.