St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

I disagree that Ross's recruitment was suspect.
Every manager signs the occasional dud but I don't remember many from Ross.

Ooft, short memory. Here’s a few of them:
Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

He only had three windows [emoji16] He had more failures than successes when it came to recruitment.

9 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I think if Naismith and Brown were managing the likes of Dumbarton or Alloa, with a year or two managerial experience, I would feel better about considering them, but for now I'm not sure.

This, and this all day long.

Of the two I'd say Naismith seems like the better option, plus why do we want to "help" Aberdeen by sorting out the problem they now have with Brown. What's more if Brown was to come, he couldn't play, and that's surely part of the reason why you'd bring someone like him in.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

He only had three windows emoji16.png He had more failures than successes when it came to recruitment.

I think including McShane in that list is a touch harsh, but your point stands.

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

He only had three windows emoji16.png He had more failures than successes when it came to recruitment.

The obvious caveat being he bought those players to play in the Championship, and using a budget (presumably) much smaller than a current St Mirren manager would have.

There is the possibility that Ross is a shoe-in and what we're seeing here is basically gamesmanship from the club.

John Needham is a businessman and I guess that phoning up Jack on Thursday night asking him to come in to talk would not have been the smart business move. JR would then hold a pretty strong hand when it came to agreeing terms,

Instead, let him wait by the phone for the few days and feed the names of Brown and Naismith to the press? Serves a couple of purposes: might temper JR's salary demands if he thinks there's competition, as well us allowing to have a look at potential candidates for the manager's job in 2025.

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

Jim Kellerman
Pal Fjelde
Craig Storie
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Gregor Buchanan
Darryl Duffy
Dale Hilson
Miles Hippolyte
Josh Todd
Massimo Donati
Mark Hill
Jamie McCart
Ian McShane

Some of them are a bit of a push to describe as failures though, aren't they? I mean Buchanan, Kirkpatrick and Todd were fine as squad players, McShane played about 40 games in midfeild for the team that won the league, Donati was a coach and McCart was short term emergency injury cover who was only with us for a month or so.

I’d go for the ‘we need someone with experience’ view too, if it wasn’t for Alan Stubbs blowing that argument right out of the water. Would someone like Naismith, who doesn’t have the experience, actually be a better punt? I don’t know. Would players respect the likes of Naismith or Brown from the off, as they are good players of our own players era? Would our guys identify with and play hard for someone who isn’t the usual suspect names trotted out?

Bottom line I suppose is that any name being touted will be no guarantee of success. My gut tells me not to go with a ‘Lambert’ type of appointment though. A bit like Steve Bruce constantly getting gigs down South - my head says Jack Ross or equivalent, my gut tells me take a punt on Naismith or Brown. My heart doesn’t tell me anything, other than I still fancy Kate Bryan fae’ the ‘Portrait Artist’ shows, so it’s about as useless as a chocolate teapot in this argument. 😀

I can’t get my head around how a team sitting in our position in the Premiership is being strongly linked with two ex-Scottish internationals who have never managed a first team game in their lives, Apart from ‘they might turn out to be good’, can anyone give a solid reason why either of them deserve to manage St Mirren in the Premiership as their first job? 

Surely, surely to god, Jack Ross isn’t being overlooked for either Naismith or Brown, and I would be worried about the competence of our board members if that turns out to be the case. 

There is the possibility that Ross is a shoe-in and what we're seeing here is basically gamesmanship from the club.
John Needham is a businessman and I guess that phoning up Jack on Thursday night asking him to come in to talk would not have been the smart business move. JR would then hold a pretty strong hand when it came to agreeing terms,
Instead, let him wait by the phone for the few days and feed the names of Brown and Naismith to the press? Serves a couple of purposes: might temper JR's salary demands if he thinks there's competition, as well us allowing to have a look at potential candidates for the manager's job in 2025.

Unfortunately, I think you are being far too generous to Needham here.

I know Ross would leave us to chase a fiver but I reckon he's got nowhere to go right now, not Aberdeen or Hibs and there was a bit of a stink at Hearts, whereas down south he'll only be known for his spell at Sunderland. He'd have to do well with us to get a move so I say split what's left on his contact with Hibs (3/4 months) and get him in.

Naismith (and the inevitable experienced No. 2 he'd need) I could live with even though he was part of that disastrous 17 seconds back in March 2010, Brown is Aberdeen's problem, nothing personal but let him stew I says!

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I can’t get my head around how a team sitting in our position in the Premiership is being strongly linked with two ex-Scottish internationals who have never managed a first team game in their lives, Apart from ‘they might turn out to be good’, can anyone give a solid reason why either of them deserve to manage St Mirren in the Premiership as their first job? 

Surely, surely to god, Jack Ross isn’t being overlooked for either Naismith or Brown, and I would be worried about the competence of our board members if that turns out to be the case. 

Paper talk, Brown & Naismith have dropped hints to their "mates" in our OF-friendly press that they might fancy the job and those "mates" are busily scribbling about how it'd be in our best interests to pick one - oh how lucky we are!

Edited by btb

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Paper talk, Brown & Naismith have dropped hints to their "mates" in our OF-friendly press that they might fancy the job and those "mates" are busily scribbling about how it'd be in our best interests to pick one - oh how lucky we are!

I would hope that’s the case, but there’s been reports of the St Mirren board seeking permission to speak to both Naismith and Brown. Neilson said yesterday that Naismith has a decision to make with regards to St Mirren, and the guy Scott Burns has reported that we asked Aberdeen to speak to Brown. 

If Jack Ross is interested in any way then he should be the only man stepping into the boardroom for an interview, and if we are able to match his demands without breaking the wage structure then the job should be his.  

29 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’d go for the ‘we need someone with experience’ view too, if it wasn’t for Alan Stubbs blowing that argument right out of the water. Would someone like Naismith, who doesn’t have the experience, actually be a better punt? I don’t know. Would players respect the likes of Naismith or Brown from the off, as they are good players of our own players era? Would our guys identify with and play hard for someone who isn’t the usual suspect names trotted out?

Bottom line I suppose is that any name being touted will be no guarantee of success. My gut tells me not to go with a ‘Lambert’ type of appointment though. A bit like Steve Bruce constantly getting gigs down South - my head says Jack Ross or equivalent, my gut tells me take a punt on Naismith or Brown. My heart doesn’t tell me anything, other than I still fancy Kate Bryan fae’ the ‘Portrait Artist’ shows, so it’s about as useless as a chocolate teapot in this argument. 😀

Jesus Christ. You’re fucking brutal 

The more I consider this, the more I can see the argument for giving someone a short-term deal for the remainer of the season, and evaluating the situation during and thereafter.

Drawback with that option, of course, is that it considerably narrows the field in terms of who would put themselves forward. Most coaches already in a position presumably wouldn't want to take the punt of leaving it with the distinct possibility they would have no job come June.

That realistically would leave currently out of work figures, or someone from within our existing set up.

I wonder if Jack Ross would be worth considering in that context? No tie-in for either party, but someone with the experience required to carry us over the line with limited drama.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

If McInness hadn't went to Killie he would be in the role already. 

Ross I genuinely don't think wants the job. 

Would be interesting to see who has actually put their name in for the role. 

Ross does want the job, it’s the board that’s split over it.