St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Some of the names been mentioned genuinely give me the fear. Scott Brown, Naismith etc. I'm not sure I would want someone with no experience whatsoever of managing - much prefer a manager who had learned their trade at a smaller club. 

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

26 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Ewan Paton in the Herald this morning says that Hearts have have confirmed that we have requested to speak to Naismith. It is also "understood" that we are interested in speaking to Jack Ross. 

Yeah, Robbie Neilson alluded to this yesterday in his post match press conference. Said that Naismith had a decision to make in next few days over whether he wanted to talk to us.

There is strong backing from parts of the board over JR. A couple of folk aren't convinced but he definitely wants to speak to us and I still can't see beyond him being offered it out of everyone if there's genuine interest on both sides.

Im still torn about Jack Ross. A sensible me thinks it’s a no brainer to get him back.

However I can’t help but have a nagging doubt about it, it’s never the same 2nd time round is it?

The drawbacks for me is his recruitment, it was very hit and miss before and has been since he’s left us (maybe I’ve just been spoiled by JGs generally excellent recruitment (strikers aside)). I also heard he was extremely hard work behind the scenes (ie needy b*****d) always wanting told how well he’s doing etc. he seemed to know he was in demand and would hold that over the board by all accounts.

On the flip side he’s clearly an excellent coach, players like playing for him and would like to think he come out of Sunderland and Hibs experiences a better manager.

Whilst I’m part of SMISA and fully support fan ownership, at the same time I don’t actually trust our board (kibble reps included) to make the right appointment. Not sure why, nothing to base it on but just another nagging feeling I can’t help shift! I think Tony is the only one with any football nous and I’m not sure how involved he will be in these discussions with his impending retirement.

57 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Im still torn about Jack Ross. A sensible me thinks it’s a no brainer to get him back.

However I can’t help but have a nagging doubt about it, it’s never the same 2nd time round is it?

The drawbacks for me is his recruitment, it was very hit and miss before and has been since he’s left us (maybe I’ve just been spoiled by JGs generally excellent recruitment (strikers aside)). I also heard he was extremely hard work behind the scenes (ie needy b*****d) always wanting told how well he’s doing etc. he seemed to know he was in demand and would hold that over the board by all accounts.

On the flip side he’s clearly an excellent coach, players like playing for him and would like to think he come out of Sunderland and Hibs experiences a better manager.

Whilst I’m part of SMISA and fully support fan ownership, at the same time I don’t actually trust our board (kibble reps included) to make the right appointment. Not sure why, nothing to base it on but just another nagging feeling I can’t help shift! I think Tony is the only one with any football nous and I’m not sure how involved he will be in these discussions with his impending retirement.

Agree the board seem to be all over the shop this season. Let’s get this done quickly . Jack here’s what we can offer are you in or out 

I disagree that Ross's recruitment was suspect. His signings in the January transfer window of the season we almost went down were tremendous and the reason we stayed up.

He then had another stormer that summer, building a league-winning side, and further strengthened us in the January of that year with Ryan Flynn and Danny Mullen.

Paul McGinn was also already signed by the time Ross left us after winning the title.

Every manager signs the occasional dud but I don't remember many from Ross.

24 minutes ago, BC17 said:

I disagree that Ross's recruitment was suspect. His signings in the January transfer window of the season we almost went down were tremendous and the reason we stayed up.

He then had another stormer that summer, building a league-winning side, and further strengthened us in the January of that year with Ryan Flynn and Danny Mullen.

Paul McGinn was also already signed by the time Ross left us after winning the title.

Every manager signs the occasional dud but I don't remember many from Ross.

However when you look at the career trajectory of many of his signings it was downward - many ended up playing in the lower reaches of the Scottish or English game. I think that speaks to his man management skills and ability to get the most out of players rather than his eye for a player.

Edited by Hendo

It has to be Naismith for me. I believe Jack would look for a better job than ours and if he failed then his career is only going to go backwards. 

Naismith is well respected in the game. Is an excellent coach apparently and he comes across well in the media.

He will have good contacts.

He may lack first hand managerial experience but he is worth a gamble. 

Pal Fjelde was another. I have nearly posted something similar to @geo87a couple times... I have reservations about Ross' recruitment as well. I've not performed a thorough analysis of what he's done at Hibs and the Mackems, but something feels slightly off about it.

Obviously he did sign some gems, but my doubts persist about the breadth of his network.

That aside, he's still the best candidate from those linked, though as I've said Grant McCann would also be on my list.

I'm also intrigued by Naismith, and would be fine with any of those three.

If I had to pick between Brown and Naismith, I’d actually go for Naismith. Not because I detest Scott Brown; I don’t, he’s apparently a really nice guy off the park. But it’s just a gut feeling.

Still hope we offer it to Jack first, though.

My opinion is it needs to be someone experienced to take us forward and keep the momentum we have had since Christmas. Someone with decent contacts as we could lose end of season our starting goalie, left back, central midfield, left mid and right mid. We need someone to steady the ship and help keep us a mid table club and push for top 6 consistently.

I think if Naismith and Brown were managing the likes of Dumbarton or Alloa, with a year or two managerial experience, I would feel better about considering them, but for now I'm not sure. If it was just survival and stay in top division, then take a punt, but if we want to build on and progress then it's a no from me right now.

Of the experienced managers who could the list be? Jack Ross, Derek Adams, Tommy Wright, Derek McInnes, Grant McCann? Of that list I wouldn't mind McCann. He was mates with Goodwin apparently and at Hull he was doing well to get players to have team options in their contract which helps teams where a player is playing well. It's something I think teams like us need to look to start doing.