St Mirren next permanent manager version 2022

Have we ever had a truly left field appointment? Trying to think back and all the managers, at least in modern history, have been pretty obvious decisions.

It seems odd, but Oran Kearney is probably the only one that stands out in those terms.

Edited by Ric

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Have we ever had a truly left field appointment? Trying to think back and all the managers, at least in modern history, have been pretty obvious decisions.

It seems odd, but Oran Kearney is probably the only one that stands out in those terms.

Would Alex Rae come into that category? The guy hadn’t managed a club in seven years. When IM left the club, you could have listed 50 potential managers and I highly doubt his name would have been on it. 

Edited by TheMuzekMan

Just now, TheMuzekMan said:

Would Alex Rae come into the category? The guy hadn’t managed a club in seven years. When IM left the club, you could have listed 50 potential managers and I highly doubt his name would have been on it. 

Perhaps. Unexpected maybe, rather than a truly left field option.

I was thinking more of managers like Jansen or Golac.

Obviously there was the whole train of Lithuanians at Romanov's Hearts, although were they ever actually in charge?

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Obviously there was the whole train of Lithuanians at Romanov's Hearts, although were they ever actually in charge?

Yeah fair point.

Not many left field appointments, plenty of rumoured names though.

Guti & Patrick Kluivert probably the two that raised eyebrows at the time 

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Lithuanian guy was the manager when they won the Scottish

Some old USSR manager who done the best interview ever seen on tv was in charge when we beat them in the league cup.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Heard he's on a one-year rolling contract at Kilmarnock so if we were willing to splash that Goodwin money...

He was on BT sport being a Ranjers fan boy, that’s the last thing I want as my manager so it’s a no from me. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Lithuanian guy was the manager when they won the Scottish

Some old USSR manager who done the best interview ever seen on tv was in charge when we beat them in the league cup.

It was brilliant car crash stuff it has to be said.

I honestly don't know how many of them there were, but it felt like 6 or 7 were trotted out over a 2 years period. Maybe I'm in some fever dream and it was only the one.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It was brilliant car crash stuff it has to be said.

I honestly don't know how many of them there were, but it felt like 6 or 7 were trotted out over a 2 years period. Maybe I'm in some fever dream and it was only the one.

Seemed like loads then randomly John McGlynn and Stevie Frail.

I remember one time they dropped Elvis, Hartley and Skacel for Celtic Park and the Lithuanian manager gave the reason 3 times in on the trott "Elvis needs rest"..... :lol: 

4 hours ago, Lola montez said:

Goody will no doubt be in red come the end of the day and he goes with my thanks but not so much good luck, maybe the after the Dons gig. Onto the next one which hopefully will be seen as a great opportunity seeing as we’re in a good position league and cup wise. 

You're a disgrace not waiting for me.

38 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

What is the connection between the two?

There’s no connection, Jack Ross is a decent manager and the best available at the minute. Mutely is a hopeless joke figure like Stubbs. My point being that if the likes of you don’t want the best available, we could end up with someone like McGhee.