EF v QP

28 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I’d need to disagree with that one tbh. I think the fans frustrations with Muir have  been in relation to performances across the board this campaign. It was getting to a point where it felt like he was never making any saves of note to keep us in games or win us games. He wasn’t making any howlers but it was getting more evident by the week that he was losing confidence. 

For me Ferrie gets a “pass” because previous performances have been terrific. Brilliant shot stopper, commanding and generally has a higher ceiling than Muir IMO. Had Muir been performing like Ferrie prior to Saturday, I have no doubts people would have the same reaction as ferrie cause we know keepers are all capable of making the odd howler.

There’s definitely no scapegoating when it comes to Muir. A very solid keeper at this level and a modern day legend at the club, achieving 2 different promotions in different era’s of the club’s history. I’d say almost 100% of genuine qp fans will have nothing but great words for Muir as a keeper but we’re now needing to progress further and for me Ferrie is the one to do so 

I never got frustrated by Wullie Muir. Ever.

2 hours ago, I Zingari said:

Interesting discussion on radio today about the failure of the GB team at the Winter Olympics (except for curling), despite many millions of pounds of funding being ploughed into the alpine events and skeleton. The point was made that, if the athletes are not good enough, it doesn't matter how much you spend in funding. The same can apply in football. Maybe some of the Queen's players are simply performing as best they can. 

The main difference is, Team GB can't go out and buy a bunch of Norweigians and Swiss. If they did that and bombed, that would be a different story.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Can’t compare amateur QP’s achievements with the current setup. We were in the mix for the playoffs until late in 16/17 under Gus and ended up four points off them. We overachieved that season and we’re underachieving now. Certainly enjoyed that season more than this.

According to fitbastats.com, the current team are just two points better off than the amateur side of 16/17 and have won three games less than them at the same stage of the season.

50 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The main difference is, Team GB can't go out and buy a bunch of Norweigians and Swiss. If they did that and bombed, that would be a different story.

Apparently, £6 million was spent on the skeleton, which was seen as a weak event offering medal potential (a bit like track cycling at the Summer Olympics). The Germans etc focus much more on the luge. The best the GB competitors could produce was simply not good enough, despite the massive funding.

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’d need to disagree with that one tbh. I think the fans frustrations with Muir have  been in relation to performances across the board this campaign. It was getting to a point where it felt like he was never making any saves of note to keep us in games or win us games. He wasn’t making any howlers but it was getting more evident by the week that he was losing confidence. 

For me Ferrie gets a “pass” because previous performances have been terrific. Brilliant shot stopper, commanding and generally has a higher ceiling than Muir IMO. Had Muir been performing like Ferrie prior to Saturday, I have no doubts people would have the same reaction as ferrie cause we know keepers are all capable of making the odd howler.

There’s definitely no scapegoating when it comes to Muir. A very solid keeper at this level and a modern day legend at the club, achieving 2 different promotions in different era’s of the club’s history. I’d say almost 100% of genuine qp fans will have nothing but great words for Muir as a keeper but we’re now needing to progress further and for me Ferrie is the one to do so 

We were sitting top of the league when Muir played his last game.

We are now 4th.

For what it's worth, I think they are both excellent keepers. For me Muir just shades it but there is little to choose between them.

I have not really enjoyed this season either. On reflection, though, I think that considering we have had a trainee manager/coach for the first half and nothing in management since Christmas along with no striker at all, to be in contention for the play offs is quite a feat. I think it also demonstrates that professional or not players need management and direction. We are not giving them this. I understand and have the same frustrations as everyone on here but with a rudderless ship is it any wonder that players' performances have regressed? They are only human. This applies in any workplace, not just football. The root cause is at the top of the tree. Where is the CEO, President, etc. When will they explain their seemingly lack of interest in interacting with the support?

18 hours ago, qpfc said:

TBF you weren't the lunatic who blamed him for every goal against Alloa but what  you've said above hasn't been my experience when watching him. He was fantastic for the first couple of months of the season then the defence in front of him started making mistakes which left him totally exposed ( that Alloa game being a prime example) As for him not making any saves of note, well that's just not true.  For example, he made a tremendous point blank save at Broadwood which should have won us the match, he then was forced to save late on in the same game to even get us a point. However the focus was quite rightly on him and the defence after we lost seven goals in only two games and he was clearly at fault for Cove's third letting a cross float over his head. He was dropped after that despite other culprits that day retaining their place. So Ellis did made him a scapegoat, even if the majority of fans didn't. 

I'm very happy to have Ferrie in goals, he's been great but he's not quite Lev Yashin yet. He was clearly to blame for Peterhead's winner at Balmoor when he spilled a shot straight out for a tap in. But he's learned from that and improved his all round game. 

Edited by Mick1867

On 20/02/2022 at 19:00, Cosmic Joe said:

I can't see this as a sustainable business model for a club attracting 500 - 600 fans per week. 

It's only sustainable for as long as Willie Haughey is funding it and apparently that's secure for a number of years.

Beyond that, who knows? But I'm doubtful as well 

4 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I have not really enjoyed this season either. On reflection, though, I think that considering we have had a trainee manager/coach for the first half and nothing in management since Christmas along with no striker at all, to be in contention for the play offs is quite a feat. I think it also demonstrates that professional or not players need management and direction. We are not giving them this. I understand and have the same frustrations as everyone on here but with a rudderless ship is it any wonder that players' performances have regressed? They are only human. This applies in any workplace, not just football. The root cause is at the top of the tree. Where is the CEO, President, etc. When will they explain their seemingly lack of interest in interacting with the support?

"The root cause" of our problems is that we do not score enough goals, end of story. The players do not go out to lose games or to only draw games, or not to try in games, they go out to try and win games, if for no other reason to increase their pay packet with a winning bonus every week. However, as we do not have a prolifick goalscorer in our team, we have drawn 15 games, a lot of them 1 each, I think, and  please remember, we have only lost 3 games all season. "The root cause" is we cannot put the ball in the back of the net.

1 minute ago, Dooflick said:

"The root cause" of our problems is that we do not score enough goals, end of story. The players do not go out to lose games or to only draw games, or not to try in games, they go out to try and win games, if for no other reason to increase their pay packet with a winning bonus every week. However, as we do not have a prolifick goalscorer in our team, we have drawn 15 games, a lot of them 1 each, I think, and  please remember, we have only lost 3 games all season. "The root cause" is we cannot put the ball in the back of the net.

You have given us the result of the issue quite correctly. You have not addressed the cause. Why have we not got a striker? Why are we not scoring goals? Where is the direction coming from?

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

" we have drawn 15 games, a lot of them 1 each, I think, and  please remember, we have only lost 3 games all season. "

A lot of those 15 draws have felt like defeats tbh. I'd have gladly accepted losing half of those 15 if we'd somehow managed to win the rest  

23 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

You have given us the result of the issue quite correctly. You have not addressed the cause. Why have we not got a striker? Why are we not scoring goals? Where is the direction coming from?

Well, an old man like me can only say what I have said. Perhaps when the President sends out his next letter to all you guys who are Members, he may well tell you, or maybe not. Certainly the transfer window was a lost chance to sign a goalscorer. 

34 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Well, an old man like me can only say what I have said. Perhaps when the President sends out his next letter to all you guys who are Members, he may well tell you, or maybe not. Certainly the transfer window was a lost chance to sign a goalscorer. 

seems we did sign a goalscorer Scott Williamson,but they loaned him back to Cambuslang. So will he only appear for us in Glasgow Cup games ? Unlike the famous Kjartan  Finnboggason 

Edited by ThreeTownSpider

I think we've got to be realistic about Williamson. Would be an unfair amount of pressure on a guy who's been playing in the league below the Lowland League to expect him to step up to League One and start scoring goals. Let's see where he's at after a pre-season of full-time training.

Why he was the only actual striker we brought in when clearly that was what we needed is the question.

1 hour ago, Skeletar Spider said:

I think we've got to be realistic about Williamson. Would be an unfair amount of pressure on a guy who's been playing in the league below the Lowland League to expect him to step up to League One and start scoring goals. Let's see where he's at after a pre-season of full-time training.

Why he was the only actual striker we brought in when clearly that was what we needed is the question.

Aye. I actually think we’re doing the right thing with him. Get him in and used to being a full-time player, training, conditioning etc. Keep him ticking over and hopefully still banging then in at Cambuslang. Hopefully comes into pre-season sharp, ready, better equipped physically and comfortable with his surroundings.

Flinging him into this environment, whilst he’s half baked at full-time level, and hoping he’s the going to be the immediate answer could hinder his progress. Bang on with the January recruitment of a striker. Shambles.