Information prior to 1911

Jim Orkney

I’m trying to find out what season my Granfather played in goals for Raith Rovers. I believe it would have been around the 1908/09 to 1910/11 seasons but I think it was only for the one season. I know he was keeping goal for Newtongrange Star prior to these seasons. If anybody can point me in the right direction of a book or digital media to find the answer I would be grateful.

many thanks

A Google search of "Jim Ewing Raith Rovers" brought up this from Partick Thistle archives, a game from April 1910 that reports him playing in goal for Raith:

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/match-1910-04-23

Also this from London Hearts Supporters, which reports him playing in a cup game against Hearts in September 1910:

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/191009101.html

London Hearts Supporters report him playing in another cup game against Hearts, this time from August 1909:

https://londonhearts.com/scores/games/190908161.html

In fact, clicking on his name on that site brings up a table of all the games he played against Hearts, five in total:

https://londonhearts.com/scores/newopp/p00007254.htm

Hi guys thankyou all for that. The archivist at the galleries in Kirkcaldy also told me about the book which gives me my Grandfather signing from Newtongrange Star in 1908 and then signing for Third Lanark in Mach 1912. Will certainly look at all the other links and your help much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Jim Orkney said:

I’m trying to find out what season my Granfather played in goals for Raith Rovers. I believe it would have been around the 1908/09 to 1910/11 seasons but I think it was only for the one season. I know he was keeping goal for Newtongrange Star prior to these seasons. If anybody can point me in the right direction of a book or digital media to find the answer I would be grateful.

many thanks

You want to consult 'Always Next Season' by John Litster but has been out of print for some years. There was CD version available.

I've a copy in my library, so can summarise his career for you:

1907-08
made his debut in 1-0 friendly win over Arsenal on Wednesday 22nd April; also played in benefit friendly for cricket club v local amateur XI following week

1908-09
played every game of season in:

* Scottish League and Weymss League (before WWI clubs played a mixture of SFL and supplementary leagues)
* Scottish Qualifying Cup (in those days only top-tier clubs qualified for Scottish Cup automatically - Raith didn't qualify)
* Penman Cup (south-eastern tournament), Fife Cup, Stark Cup (Kirkcaldy tournament)
* 3 out of 4 friendlies and benefit friendlies

1909-10
played every game in:

* Scottish League, and Weymss League except Weymss League Title Playoff for 1908-09 (held-over) and 1 in WL
* Scottish Qualifying Cup, Scottish Consolation Cup (new tournament for clubs who failed to qualify for Scottish Cup)
* Penman Cup, Dunedin Cup (new Fife & Lothians professional tournament), Fife Cup and Stark Cup
* 5 out of 7 friendlies and benefit friendlies - including 5-0 friendly defeat to Newcastle on Monday 4th October

1910-11
played every game until early January in:
* Scottish League and Weymss League
* Scottish Qualifying Cup [Raith didn't qualify and scratched from Scottish Consolation Cup]
* Penman Cup, North-Eastern Cup (new eastern professional tournament), Dunedin Cup and Fife Cup [Weymss League fixtures counted as Stark Cup]
* 1 out of 2 friendlies and benefit friendlies

from early January until end of season goalkeeping responsibilities were split so Hunter played in the Weymss League, Fife Cup and 1 benefit friendly (plus 2 games in Scottish League and 1 game in Penman Cup) while Ewing played in the Scottish League and 1 benefit friendly (plus 1 game in Weymss League and 1 game in Penman Cup)
his last game was 3-4 defeat in Penman Cup Semi-Final at home to Dunfermline on Saturday 29th April

1911-12
he played in 1 benefit friendly v Cowdenbeath at New Year (probably in an emergency as 5 regular players missed their connecting train in Edinburgh) and 1-2 defeat in Scottish League at home to Hamilton on Saturday 20th January (maybe he was playing for reserves this season and brought in to cover injuries? maybe came out of retirement?)

Edited by HibeeJibee

HibeeJibee thanks very much for that. I have managed to get hold of a cd . You have cleared up the Arsenal connection though. I never knew anything about my Grandfather playing football until after his death and was always under the impression he played only one season  for Raith now it transpires he played with them a few seasons before signing for Third Lanark and then having to give up football as my Grandmother gave him the option of marrying her or continue to play football.

• 4 weeks later...