Sons vs Wasps

I'm slightly late with this post but I thought that Saturday was a pretty good performance from us (given the constraints of the pitch) and we actually tried to play some good football for the first time in a long while. We still went long a bit more than I would have liked but with the pitch and with Conor Sammon up front then that approach is pretty inevitable.

Neither of our goals were things of beauty but the first was a good cut back from King and it was good to see Kev getting forward to finish it off. For the second it's an obvious error but King does well to get forward and put pressure on and then finishes well.

Nobody else has mentioned it so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but I thought that Paton was a bit lucky not to get a red cord for his foul on Boyd at the end. It looked to me like he dived in with a bit of a scissors motion.

Finally there was a much better atmosphere at the game but there's clearly a bit of work to be done building bridges with the players. Boyd didn't acknowledge the fans at all when he was subbed and applauded off right in front of us, and there were still a few shouts towards Hutton.

29 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Club apologises for state of pitch:

Clicky

Dunno how much it will improve by 5th March given the state of it.

The main thing is once you throw down all that sand how do you pick it up? surely that will have long term negative consequences to the state of the pitch.

55 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Club apologises for state of pitch:

Clicky

Dunno how much it will improve by 5th March given the state of it.

Pitch was undoubtedly a shocker, but fair play to the club for the patch up job to at least allow the ref to deem it playable and get the game on.

36 minutes ago, Dink said:

Finally there was a much better atmosphere at the game but there's clearly a bit of work to be done building bridges with the players. Boyd didn't acknowledge the fans at all when he was subbed and applauded off right in front of us, and there were still a few shouts towards Hutton.

Yeah the Boyd thing was pretty noticeable, but he might have just been embroiled in the game, or annoyed about something that went on just prior to coming off. Never really noticed the Hutton stuff on Saturday, but it does seem to go on most away games. I also thought atmosphere was a whole lot better, but away crowd seemed lower than last time we visited Dumbarton. Was hoping Fergusons departure would get more people along, but I guess there was a storm late in the week and some folk might have been put off travelling too far from home.

48 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Fair play to Dumbarton for saying something about it, doubt many teams would have bothered in all honesty. 

Meh, apologising is fine but the statement puts the blame on the last couple of weeks of weather rather than acknowledging that our pitch has been at an unacceptable standard numerous times over the last few years, but the last two seasons since our current groundsman has arrived has been genuinely woeful. Quite what we're going to do in between now and March is anyones guess, the pitch needs relaid and our new owners and board members could start to win me over by investing in a good surface.

2 hours ago, Dink said:

I'm slightly late with this post but I thought that Saturday was a pretty good performance from us (given the constraints of the pitch) and we actually tried to play some good football for the first time in a long while. We still went long a bit more than I would have liked but with the pitch and with Conor Sammon up front then that approach is pretty inevitable.

Neither of our goals were things of beauty but the first was a good cut back from King and it was good to see Kev getting forward to finish it off. For the second it's an obvious error but King does well to get forward and put pressure on and then finishes well.

Nobody else has mentioned it so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh but I thought that Paton was a bit lucky not to get a red cord for his foul on Boyd at the end. It looked to me like he dived in with a bit of a scissors motion.

It was a bad tackle certainly. That's always been part of Paton's game - I don't mean that as a criticism, Stevie Hetherington left some tasty tackles in there quite often and I always liked that about him.

Couldn't make the game so just basing my comments on the highlights and the comments from posters of both teams.

Firstly, it was good to see Robbo starting in Central midfield, that's a no brainer as most Alloa fans know and a black mark on Ferguson's management. I'm not sure exactly what formation we played, but it sounds like a 4-3-3 and that seems to better suit our midfielders. King in particular looks like he had a good game, getting forward and using his energy (which we haven't seen much of).

The team looked more motivated and seemed to play with more freedom. Maybe credit to them/Paddy or, maybe, just Bazza being away. As an aside I caught up with a bluenose friend of mine yesterday. For a bluenose he's a fair and reasonable guy, but he had fallen for the line in the interview that the players weren't up to doing what Ferguson wanted them too - I put him right on that!

I don't think Henderson gets back in that starting eleven. Keep him on the bench for when the game opens up.

Edited by printer

56 minutes ago, printer said:

Firstly, it was good to see Robbo starting in Central midfield, that's a no brainer as most Alloa fans know and a black mark on Ferguson's management. I'm not sure exactly what formation we played, but it sounds like a 4-3-3 and that seems to better suit our midfielders. King in particular looks like he had a good game, getting forward and using his energy (which we haven't seen much of).

Pretty much, And King, Sena and Robbo seemed to each know their jobs in midfield, which was something we havent been accustomed to in a while. King and Sena were much improved, and Robbo, well is Robbo.

3 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Fair play to Dumbarton for saying something about it, doubt many teams would have bothered in all honesty. 

I’m not arsed about apologies tbh, I’d far rather the club just acknowledged that the surface isn’t anywhere near good enough and gave a promise that it will be dealt with properly. The weather is obviously a big factor but the fact that it has double the amount of traffic on it due to a ground share is a bigger issue, which is completely ignored.

The only folk they need to apologise to is the players who are risking injury by having to try and play football on it. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not arsed about apologies tbh, I’d far rather the club just acknowledged that the surface isn’t anywhere near good enough and gave a promise that it will be dealt with properly. The weather is obviously a big factor but the fact that it has double the amount of traffic on it due to a ground share is a bigger issue, which is completely ignored.

The only folk they need to apologise to is the players who are risking injury by having to try and play football on it. 

Least we’ve got the new floodlights so everyone can clearly see how shite the park is!