Peterhead v Airdrie

On 19/02/2022 at 15:12, BigDi@mond said:

This has got to be the worst tv coverage of any game I've seen. The ball is never on the screen! 

Have to agree, that was pretty dreadful and a really tough watch, the first half especially the camera seemed to track the seagulls rather than the ball. 

Can’t really comment on the big events as the camera never showed them. McGills miss etc.

Afolabi took his goal well and thought Currie who I’ve been critical of had a good game so fair play to him. Should note Fordyce’s performance too an unsung hero of the team we’d be nowhere near it without him.

Won’t be critical of our players I think we can put it down as an off day but who cares it’s another 3 points.

We’ve been on the other end of those kind of games this season so we’ll take it.

Guest Bluetoon
3 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Have to agree, that was pretty dreadful and a really tough watch, the first half especially the camera seemed to track the seagulls rather than the ball. 

Can’t really comment on the big events as the camera never showed them. McGills miss etc.

Afolabi took his goal well and thought Currie who I’ve been critical of had a good game so fair play to him. Should note Fordyce’s performance too an unsung hero of the team we’d be nowhere near it without him.

Won’t be critical of our players I think we can put it down as an off day but who cares it’s another 3 points.

We’ve been on the other end of those kind of games this season so we’ll take it.

It's really poor. I've watched it a few this season and even at 10 quid is not worth it. Think they've changed the commentators also. I seen a few Airdrie fans not happy with them either.

3 minutes ago, Bluetoon said:

It's really poor. I've watched it a few this season and even at 10 quid is not worth it. Think they've changed the commentators also. I seen a few Airdrie fans not happy with them either.

The streaming system served its purpose when Covid prevented folk getting to games but would imagine if things are ok live streaming would be stopped to the UK again. Not sure how long the contract was for. Am fortunate being able to go to games home or away and while i know its not possible for everyone giving folk an excuse to stay away will eventually lead to loss of crowds at games or watching at home.

7 minutes ago, Bluetoon said:

I've no issue with commentators, at the end of the day most are fans who are giving an opinion, sometimes their colours come through and any pretence of impartiality goes out the window.

The stream on the other hand was an absolute fucking disgrace and they've a cheek asking for money for it if they know how bad it is. The ball spent more time out of picture than it did in it.

Guest Bluetoon
3 minutes ago, peternapper said:

The streaming system served its purpose when Covid prevented folk getting to games but would imagine if things are ok live streaming would be stopped to the UK again. Not sure how long the contract was for. Am fortunate being able to go to games home or away and while i know its not possible for everyone giving folk an excuse to stay away will eventually lead to loss of crowds at games or watching at home.

Honestly think the Pixellot cameras were made for one season only, I don't think anyone was anticipating using them again this season. Thankfully this will be the final season. 

Guest Bluetoon
4 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I've no issue with commentators, at the end of the day most are fans who are giving an opinion, sometimes their colours come through and any pretence of impartiality goes out the window.

The stream on the other hand was an absolute fucking disgrace and they've a cheek asking for money for it if they know how bad it is. The ball spent more time out of picture than it did in it.

Think East Fife comms are the worst to be honest! 

1 minute ago, Bluetoon said:

Honestly think the Pixellot cameras were made for one season only, I don't think anyone was anticipating using them again this season. Thankfully this will be the final season. 

Back in the day when Cameraman used to film our games and provide highlights they were among the best on the go. That obviously requires folk willing to do it which could be a problem. As mentioned streaming was better than nothing but even if allowed would not think it would earn much for many clubs  

Guest Bluetoon
5 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Back in the day when Cameraman used to film our games and provide highlights they were among the best on the go. That obviously requires folk willing to do it which could be a problem. As mentioned streaming was better than nothing but even if allowed would not think it would earn much for many clubs  

Yeah think the highlights stopped around 2019. Disappointing if you are a Peterhead fan and you can't make the game but you are right, getting people to do it for free is a problem

8 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Agreed! They start to sound like the commentators from the Grand National as soon as East Fife get our their own half. 

Clyde’s are bad. Any time a defender has the ball and their attackers are man-to-man they exclaim “there’s a chance for Clyde here if…”

Guest Bluetoon
10 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Agreed! They start to sound like the commentators from the Grand National as soon as East Fife get our their own half. 

Brilliant! Seen the clip of Saturday's game when their keeper saved the pen and the ball went up to the other end of the park and one of their players went down. Commentator were saying "that's a foul" and when they didn't get it sounded like the guy from rangers TV about to state they were going to "take it up with the SFA on Monday" 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Of all the rubbish games we watched on streams last season, the 2-0 defeat at East Fife where Kenny Deuchar spent half of it talking about playing golf was undoubtedly the low point.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

Of all the rubbish games we watched on streams last season, the 2-0 defeat at East Fife where Kenny Deuchar spent half of it talking about playing golf was undoubtedly the low point.

I’m positive he mentioned something about he could do with having a warm jobby in his hand too to heat him up during that game….On the subject of changing nappies. 

22 hours ago, Bluetoon said:

I've seen the cameras follow a linesman's bald head, a white plastic bag and now sea gulls. It is clearly not fit for the pupose for which it was intended. Some are worse than others however and I believe this is probably down a lack of determinationby said club in their efforts to rectify the issues. Peterhead FC obviously have low expectations of the system and do not get too many people asking for their tenner back, so the problems persist. Alloa take £18 from what I remember, and their coverage is excellent. I wonder how many people would have paid that extra six quid on Saturday!

As for the commentary, I have no problem with a bit of obvious bias but take exception to some of the passive/aggressive fare that is on offer from some others.

38 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

I've seen the cameras follow a linesman's bald head, a white plastic bag and now sea gulls. It is clearly not fit for the pupose for which it was intended. Some are worse than others however and I believe this is probably down a lack of determination by said club in their efforts to rectify the issues.

This ^^ very much.

But having done everything I know why people aren't determined to come up with something better. You need to be competent across a good number of fields to bring something together and probably more than one person to do it. Is that financially viable for anyone? Probably not. There are certainly days I question why I am doing it.

Spoiler

Last year I streamed via pixellot only, which was unreliable. Pixellot with joystick, which was better but doesn't have the picture quality and a rubbish streaming provider Univtec.

We used a manual camera on our wee gantry (pictured) mixed with pixellot camera back and forward to provide lineups/replays etc. Thumbs down because there was still major issues with buffering and people not being able to access the stream. 

51364656006_2ef81bd116_o.thumb.jpg.caea4488656cb2720bbd76ec315c5071.jpg

About March we switched to using the system that Dunfermline and QoS are on. Two issues with that was the low bitrate, blocky video (due to the cost of bandwidth) but it was much more reliable and the help from those guys from other clubs when there were issues was great.

Over the summer, I really wanted something integrated into our website. It's similar pricing to what we paid for the previous system but without the bandwidth constraints so I cranked the bitrate to the same as you get on BBC iplayer. This is very acceptable.

The latest iteration ditches the gantry which has the issue of:

a) being too close to the pitch
b) it's not high enough
c) blocking the view from the stand

The camera slung on the underside of the roof is controlled from the warm press box (where the commentary is also taking place) via an xbox controller and all other essential gear is now safe from moisture/extreme temperatures. Short of putting the gimbal on top of the roof or the floodlights that is as high as we're going to reach.

PXL_20220208_144747418.thumb.jpg.76d9194473a0a194cddc5c6c73203df1.jpg

As a rule of thumb you can deliver streaming for ~30p per person. But for capital costs:
You need a website, a membership system, a geoblocking solution, a camera, a capture card and a capable encoder(laptop or desktop or possibly hardware based) at minimum.
Bonus points if you have a audio interface, headsets for commentary. I've noticed Forfar don't even bother with commentary on the live stream. 
The next step is to get usable multiple cameras and probably extra operators.

If kick-off times were staggered instead of 3pm I'd be punting this to every club going.

The SPFL really should be doing a centralised system and getting an SPFL TV off the ground but their lazy, overpriced attempt was daylight robbery via pixellot and stream AMG.
At worst you could have an extra revenue stream at best when the TV deals collapse you've got an alternative ready to go.

46 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Great article in the Peterhead programme on Saturday about some globetrotting football fans who I had the pleasure of their company. Well one of them is a massive Airdrie fan.

Page 10 & 11 and well worth a read.   https://www.peterheadfc.org/match-day-programme/

Quality. Great group of lads. I've tagged along a couple of their trips to Dusseldorf & Newcastle. Great laugh.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Great article in the Peterhead programme on Saturday about some globetrotting football fans who I had the pleasure of their company. Well one of them is a massive Airdrie fan.

Page 10 & 11 and well worth a read.   https://www.peterheadfc.org/match-day-programme/

Usually some good stuff in the programme, since it went electronic & free it seems to be very popular. With little outlay presume it makes some cash with advertising included.