Instrumental tracks.

WhiteRoseKillie

What are your favourite tracks where the singer has passed out/gone to score/stormed out in a huff? I'll start with an off-the-top-of-my-head selection..

1. La Villa Strangiato - Rush. Alex Lifeson showing he can actually play a bit, rather than just push out riffs to beef up Neil's fantasy epics. 

2. Fanfare for the Common Man - Emerson Lake and Palmer. Good ol' slice of bombastic prog, and erstwhile Reporting Scotland theme.

3. Albatross - Fleetwood Mac. The perfect accompaniment to a sunny day and a wee Benson and Hendrix.

4. Laguna Sunrise - Black Sabbath. A nice wee example of Iommi's softer side, or see introductory sentence, above.

5. Parisienne Walways (Live) - Gary Moore. I prefer this to the vocal version (no offence, Phil). At one point he holds a note long enough for you to go for a pint and get back before he resumes.

Honourable mention to Horslips for March into Trouble, Tull for The Pine Marten's Jig, Santana for so many soulful grooves...

1. Fleetwood Mac. Albatross. 

2. Joe Walsh. India. 

3. Eagles. Journey of the Sourcerer (also the theme tune to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

4. Jessica. The Allman Brothers Band (also the Top Gear theme tune)

5. Any Colour You Like. Pink Floyd.

Camel's Snow Goose album is fully instrumental. In fact, I haven't listened to it for a few years so will have to put it on again. The album is based on a novel. The author of said novel attempted to sue the band because he hated smoking and thought the band were affiliated with the cigarette brand.

Horses Under Starlight by The Manic Street Preachers 

Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater 

After the Ordeal by Genesis

Elegia by New Order

Edited by Richey Edwards

I must also mention the Beastie Boys 2007 album The Mix-Up.

The Beastie Boys were one of my favourite bands at the time of this release (and still are actually), but I hated this when it came out. I thought they were trolling by releasing an album without vocals and lyrics.

It was unlike anything they had done previously, and was entirely instrumental apart from the occasional in-studio chatter that was left in the mixes.

I re-listened to the album fairly recently. I don't know if it's because my tastes have matured with getting older, but it is actually pretty good. They were very competent musicians.

In no particular order…

Rush ‘YYZ’

Simple Minds ‘Theme For Great Cities’

Wishbone Ash ‘714’

Prince ‘Venus De Milo’

The Darkness ‘Bareback’

Charlatans ‘Theme From The Wish’

Roger Glover ‘The Third Ring’s Watery Flow’

Genesis ‘Los Endos’

Rush ‘La Villa Strangiato’

Journey ‘Kouhotek’

Pat Travers Band ‘Hammerhead’

Genesis ‘Unquiet Slumbers For the Sleepers…’

1 hour ago, printer said:

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac

Apostrophe' - Frank Zappa

Green Onions - Booker T. & the M.G.'s

After the Ordeal - Genesis

One of these days - Pink Floyd (if you ignore the one line lyric)

Yeah, I thought about OOTD as well, but can't have the OP stretching the definition of what is and isn't an instrumental, can we?🙂 Quality track, right enough.

Also, good shout on Booker T - there's more than one of his worthy of consideration - as you'd expect of a one-time Neil Young collaborator.

Time is Tight - Booker T (better than Green Onions)

You're So Cool - Hans Zimmer (theme to True Romance and used on numerous trailers and ads since)

Fanfare for the Common Man Emerson, Lake & Palmer (and for those of a certain age Reporting Scotland theme)

Jessica - Altmann

Can't believe I did that list and missed Jean Michel Jarre (especially the Oxygene pieces on Gallipoli)

Edited by MEADOWXI

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Camel's Snow Goose album is fully instrumental. In fact, I haven't listened to it for a few years so will have to put it on again. The album is based on a novel. The author of said novel attempted to sue the band because he hated smoking and thought the band were affiliated with the cigarette brand.

Horses Under Starlight by The Manic Street Preachers 

Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater 

After the Ordeal by Genesis

Elegia by New Order

(In bold) Glad to invoke this reaction. We've all gotr favourites we haven't listened to in years. PozBaird (Who apparently can't count😉) has just inspired me to get into some Wishbone Ash when I get home.

The Snow Goose was written by Paul Gallico, and later made into a film with Richard Harris and Jenny Agutter who, unusually, remained clothed throughout AFAIK*. It was set around Dunkirk, I believe, and was pretty contemporary when first published.

*I haven't seen it, so I might look out for it, as she's been a favourite of mine, ever since catching Logan's Run at the pictures. Quite an impression she made on a teenage (just) me..

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

(In bold) Glad to invoke this reaction. We've all gotr favourites we haven't listened to in years. PozBaird (Who apparently can't count😉) has just inspired me to get into some Wishbone Ash when I get home.

The Snow Goose was written by Paul Gallico, and later made into a film with Richard Harris and Jenny Agutter who, unusually, remained clothed throughout AFAIK*. It was set around Dunkirk, I believe, and was pretty contemporary when first published.

*I haven't seen it, so I might look out for it, as she's been a favourite of mine, ever since catching Logan's Run at the pictures. Quite an impression she made on a teenage (just) me..

I am currently sitting listening to The Snow Goose through my earphones with a cup of coffee while Storm Whatever-Its-Name-Is batters the windows.

9 hours ago, printer said:

Apostrophe' - Frank Zappa

Green Onions - Booker T. & the M.G.'s

After the Ordeal - Genesis

One of these days - Pink Floyd (if you ignore the one line lyric)

I'll thoroughly endorse 'One Of These Days'. Two bass guitars (Waters AND Gilmour) battering your ears from each side on headphones.

59 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Greenied for the Air track. Moon Safari is a very underrated album.

Moon Safari is a superb album, and one I would recommend that everyone, no matter what type of music they like to listen to. Or at least give it a chance.