Over hyped, under delivered

scottsdad

For golfers, I’d nominate Rickie Fowler as being overhyped and has massively under delivered so much that he’s requiring sponsors invites to events these days.
Another nomination would be Matteo Manassero who was meant to be the next big thing but has had a torrid time of it. 

24 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

For golfers, I’d nominate Rickie Fowler as being overhyped and has massively under delivered so much that he’s requiring sponsors invites to events these days.
Another nomination would be Matteo Manassero who was meant to be the next big thing but has had a torrid time of it. 

Anthony Kim too. Won a few tournaments and pumped Garcia 5&4 in the Ryder Cup but has been AWOL since 2012. Waste of talent. 

17 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Anthony Kim too. Won a few tournaments and pumped Garcia 5&4 in the Ryder Cup but has been AWOL since 2012. Waste of talent. 

Kim is a bit more complex.

He had a really serious achilles injury which put him out for a fair while initially, and there has long been a rumour that he got a massive pay-off from an insurance company because the injury was career ending.

2 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Yeah, absolutely. Although the rumours are he could’ve returned but didn’t want to give up that substantial pay-out. And apparently has no interest in the sport now. 

If you offered me £20m right now and I'd never have to hit a shank again, I'd bite your hand off

7 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Wasn't Audley Harrison a very late starter in the pro ranks?  I don't remember that much hype about him

He was, turned pro at 30 or thereabouts. There was a lot of hype, he signed a £1m deal with the BBC and they headlined his fights on prime time. Terrible contests and mismatches meant the BBC chucked boxing at the end of the contract.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

What about Rory McIlroy? Burst on to the scene, won a bunch of trophies early on gaining the hype, but never really became a sustained champion. 

Kinda agree with you but kinda don’t 😂 I think he’s done well winning 4 majors, won the fedex cup twice and been a first pick for the last few Ryder cups. He’s hung around the top 10 in the world for the last 10 years. 
All that being said I don’t think he’s had the success many expected to him have (predictions of 8+ majors etc). He shits himself on the big stage regularly and makes some baffling decisions which result in “back door top tens” without ever really being in contention.
Many would kill to have a career like Mcilroy has had and I’m not sure if saying he’s under delivered is harsh on him 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Kinda agree with you but kinda don’t 😂 I think he’s done well winning 4 majors, won the fedex cup twice and been a first pick for the last few Ryder cups. He’s hung around the top 10 in the world for the last 10 years. 
All that being said I don’t think he’s had the success many expected to him have (predictions of 8+ majors etc). He shits himself on the big stage regularly and makes some baffling decisions which result in “back door top tens” without ever really being in contention.
Many would kill to have a career like Mcilroy has had and I’m not sure if saying he’s under delivered is harsh on him 

Totally get that - similar argument to Wayne Rooney in football. Never dominated the world but had a career better than 99% of any other.

I know hee-haw about golf, but got the impression that Rory McIlroy must be the greatest thing since Tiger thingmebob due to all the adverts he appears in.

Is he more golf's Anna Kournikova, or is that a bit harsh?

You can argue Mcilroy hasn't quite kicked on from where he was in the 2010-2015 period but only Mickelson and Woods have more majors than him in the last 20 years and as said he's won a bunch of other stuff. 

He's only 32 as well which is a year younger than Mickelson was when he won his first major so if Mcilroy has still got the appetite he has a lot of career ahead of him. 

He also seems like a pretty sound guy with his head screwed on the right way, speaks well on a number of issues. 

On the topic, you could fill it with young English footballers who were the next big thing after half a dozen games - John Bostock, Josh McEachran etc etc 

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

On the topic, you could fill it with young English footballers who were the next big thing after half a dozen games - John Bostock, Josh McEachran etc etc 

Aye, we could create a list of young Scots who were going to be the solution to Scotland's goalscoring problem too.

Still waiting, but  :(

Tony Watt? 
You can probably age Scotland fans by their Great White Goalscoring Hope. It's always Mark Burchill who springs to mind for me.

Thomas Robert - the wonder kid son of Newcastle legend Laurent, flew over from France and turned down a 4-year deal at Montpellier to pitch up in Airdrie. A product of a link up between club & agent. Hailed as the player that was going to net the Diamonds an elusively big transfer fee 

Admittedly scored some good goals and showed a decent turn for a month period around December 2020, resulting in “Tam Rab” t-shirts being ceremoniously sold out. The new year came and he went missing after a trial with Celtic. Made a 20 minute cameo in the play-off final with Morton and couldn’t kick his own arse. 

New season dawns and still no sign of the prodigious Robert. Ian Murray doesn’t know what line to toe whether it be “he’s still our player… long term deal in place…”. Fast forward a few weeks and news filters out that he’s signed for Royal Excel Mouscron for exactly £0 in the Belgian second tier. He wears the number 99 on his strip and to date he’s made a massive one appearance.

But it’s fine. We’ve got Adam Frizzell & Dylan Easton now. And they’re better. 

Edited by Dylan Easton Fanclub

20 hours ago, BFTD said:
On 02/03/2022 at 19:45, scottsdad said:
Tony Watt? 

You can probably age Scotland fans by their Great White Goalscoring Hope. It's always Mark Burchill who springs to mind for me.

Gerry Creaney

Did anyone ever think Anna Kournikova was particularly good, or was she just hyped so much for...erm...other reasons?
Apparently five years after she retired, she was still the most Googled athlete in the world. Amazing what a couple of Aussie Open wins can do for a gal's popularity.

She made it into the top ten players in the world so she wasn’t shit but obviously being pretty meant she gathered more attention than her talent merited.

She’s basically the David Beckham of tennis

Whether ending up married to Enrique Iglesias is a better result than marrying posh spice is another question