Over hyped, under delivered

scottsdad

For any sport...who is the sports person that came into a sport surrounded by huge media hype, and just failed to live up to it? What wunderkind can you remember?

I'll start with F1, and Juan Pablo Montoya. Came to F1 in 2001 and was supposed to be the guy who took on and defeated Michael Schumacher. 

He had won F3000 and the Cart championship in his rookie year, 1999. He won the Indy 500 in 2000. Loads of hype surrounded him coming to Williams in 2001. 

In his 3rd F1 race, he passed Schumacher in Brazil and the hype went up even more. Here he was, finally someone to beat him.

He stayed at Williams for 4 seasons winning just 4 races in total. Then he moved to McLaren and won three more. He fell out with both teams, and McLaren punted him part way through the 2006 season. Never really lived up to the hype. 

Who else?

Lleyton Hewitt in tennis.

He’s six months older than Roger Federer and won 2 grand slams at the ages to 20 and 21 respectively, was world number 1 at that point before Federer had broke into winning grand slams. He then pretty much fell off a cliff from the age of 22. Only made 2 more slam finals for the rest of his career, losing both. 

Freddy Adu.
Islam Feruz.

No doubt the numbers station will be along presently to list Billy Gilmour  :lol:

Edit: that Tó Madeira laddie seemed to disappear off the radar after a promising start too  :whistle

Edited by BFTD

Ryan Leaf, Jonny Manziel, and about fifty other NFL QBs I could name.
One for the older NFL fans, Brian Bosworth. A huge star in college football, signed for the Seahawks on a huge contract which was a record breaking one at the time. Lasted 2 seasons in the NFL before injury forced him to retire, but was known more for what he said off the field rather than what he did on it, including slating the NCAA in his college days.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
5 hours ago, pozbaird said:
Ryan Leaf, Jonny Manziel, and about fifty other NFL QBs I could name.

One for the older NFL fans, Brian Bosworth. A huge star in college football, signed for the Seahawks on a huge contract which was a record breaking one at the time. Lasted 2 seasons in the NFL before injury forced him to retire, but was known more for what he said off the field rather than what he did on it, including slating the NCAA in his college days.

Agree. With the draft system and the college game garnering huge crowds and hype in its own right, very little can match the NFL for over-hyped individuals falling flat on their arse when they actually reach the NFL…. Erm, Urban Meyer.

Billy Gilmour.

Not his fault, but the media and some braindead fans really overhyped this guy saying he would be Norwich's main man which predictably he hasn't been culminating in chants of "f**k off back to Chelsea". 

It's sad in a way, but no one could say he has delivered what the hype promised with us now reaching a stage where punters are realizing it's not really gone as everyone was thinking. Expectations have now been reset to some extent somewhere closer to reality.

Good example of how hype can work against a sportsperson.

Edited by 2426255

53 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can we club together and get Numberwang his hole? This is just painful to watch. 

You're attempting to undermine me as a person by saying I can't "get a woman" because you haven't the arguments to dispute what I'm saying. 😬 If you don't like what I have to say just ignore me or we will end up back at your embarrassing little episode where you pretend to want to fight me before the inevitable backing down. Is that really what you want? you little weasel! 🤫 🤭

Edited by 2426255

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Billy Gilmour.

Not his fault, but the media and some braindead fans really overhyped this guy saying he would be Norwich's main man which predictably he hasn't been culminating in chants of "f**k off back to Chelsea". 

It's sad in a way, but no one could say he has delivered what the hype promised with us now reaching a stage where punters are realizing it's not really gone as everyone was thinking. Expectations have now been reset to some extent somewhere closer to reality.

Has Billy shagged your maw?  There must be a reason why you hate him so much.

Have you ever made a post on this forum that isn't ripping into Billy Gilmour?

On 16/02/2022 at 10:55, Donathan said:

Lleyton Hewitt in tennis.

He’s six months older than Roger Federer and won 2 grand slams at the ages to 20 and 21 respectively, was world number 1 at that point before Federer had broke into winning grand slams. He then pretty much fell off a cliff from the age of 22. Only made 2 more slam finals for the rest of his career, losing both. 

He's a great example.  He peaked at the absolutely perfect time in tennis, Sampras and Agassi were well past their best (they both however went on to win one more slam) and it was 18 months before it clicked for Federer.

If you watch his matches from around the turn of the century, you can see why he only won 2.  His shots were so weak and if you stood inside the baseline you could fucking hammer it back past him.  Federer discovered this fairly quickly.  As did Safin after a while. He was lauded for his retrieval skills but he had no weapons shot-wise.

Staying on Tennis - Laura Robson.  Yes, she won an Olympic silver in the mixed doubles.  But her singles career was laughable.

Edited by TheScarf

15 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Wayne Rooney

I actually thought of Rooney in the original post. In 2004 he was going to storm on and take over the world. He didn't - but he did achieve a hell of a lot and has a pretty decent medal collection. 

He just never materialised in to the Messi/Ronaldo sphere that the English press hoped he would. 

15 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Billy Gilmour.

He is 20 years old. How can you claim he hasn't delivered on his promise when he is just 20? 

I agree with @Left Back - he has either shagged your maw or pissed in your corn flakes.