Motherwell FC v Aberdeen FC Sat 19th Feb

Aberdeen have any chance of the top 6 then they can't lose this game although I would maybe go as far as a must win game with Hearts/Rangers/Hibs fixtures coming up soon. 

Motherwell having a free midweek will be an advantage to them along with the head to heads against us. Aberdeen was lacking in confidence in the first half against St Johnstone but looked a lot more confident in the 2nd half so hopefully the players have that confidence against Motherwell. 

Injuries could be a problem as only 1 fit Centre-Back at the end of the last match so hopefully that has improved. I can't remember when we have had 4 Centre-Backs out before Scott Brown also got injured. 

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Well looks like Alexander's banned from the touchline for this and the Rangers game. Don't know if this will affect this game that much.

He should sit behind the Aberdeen dugout and read out Dutch insults

Alexander has us completely sussed.

The 'get in their faces' cliche, never more used here. Play the boundaries of the rules - lots of brutal early tackles before the ref finds his yellow card, and then tag team the heavy treatment after that to avoid a red.

Van Veen to terrorise our defence and be made to look like Van Basten - Lewis Ferguson had to go in there for the last half hour on Tuesday, maybe he can handle him better.

AFC to pass the ball sideways a lot before it all peters out in an overly congested penalty area.

Ramsay only to play RB for one half, then be switched over for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who can make himself useful by sorting out some of those lads who like chucking stuff.

End result - probable 2-0 home win.

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Alexander has us completely sussed.

The 'get in their faces' cliche, never more used here. Play the boundaries of the rules - lots of brutal early tackles before the ref finds his yellow card, and then tag team the heavy treatment after that to avoid a red.

Van Veen to terrorise our defence and be made to look like Van Basten - Lewis Ferguson had to go in there for the last half hour on Tuesday, maybe he can handle him better.

AFC to pass the ball sideways a lot before it all peters out in an overly congested penalty area.

Ramsay only to play RB for one half, then be switched over for Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who can make himself useful by sorting out some of those lads who like chucking stuff.

End result - probable 2-0 home win.

It's not any tactical masterplan tbf, that's pretty much the height of Alexander's ambition in any game.

On 16/02/2022 at 02:15, Kapowzer said:

Irony of that

A team as poor as Motherwell got our manager a contract extension ...... your Billy big baws comment comes from renewed hope that your gaffer was punted and 3 of your team are ruled out.

The effrontery!

Contract extension or no contract extension, you just know that the Motherwell fans will be looking for him to be sacked in about 6 weeks time.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Contract extension or no contract extension, you just know that the Motherwell fans will be looking for him to be sacked in about 6 weeks time.

If we got Pep in there would be some on our dedicated forum hitting it with "I doubt I'll ever warm to him".

Alexander's self confessed desire is for points, not to entertain. He's done both over our initial expectations. When the football is dire, then patience halves I suppose because few see an easy way back. Against Hibs in the opener we lost but we lost well and many fans were encouraged especially after the chore of the league cup. Thing is from January to May last year few questioned his lineups or subs they always seemed to make sense. Since we changed our tactics after the Sevco hosing then there's been at least two head scratchers per game and one left field one every 2.

But you are right.

32 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

6 weeks suggest patience and we are no saints.

So if I'm reading this correctly, the team that are three whole points ahead of us have given their manager a contact extension, which is a slight on Aberdeen getting rid of a manager who clearly wasn't good enough?

9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

If we got Pep in there would be some on our dedicated forum hitting it with "I doubt I'll ever warm to him".

Alexander's self confessed desire is for points, not to entertain. He's done both over our initial expectations. When the football is dire, then patience halves I suppose because few see an easy way back. Against Hibs in the opener we lost but we lost well and many fans were encouraged especially after the chore of the league cup. Thing is from January to May last year few questioned his lineups or subs they always seemed to make sense. Since we changed our tactics after the Sevco hosing then there's been at least two head scratchers per game and one left field one every 2.

But you are right.

If we shitfest our way to Europe or - ha! - a cup under Alexander I'll be absolutely thrilled.

But giving him a contract extension when there was no need was mental, especially given we could well follow his usual pattern elsewhere of stabilization, stagnation and collapse....

It's not the style of football in itself I have a problem with, it's that his style of football is all he seems to aspire to. A good team grinding out results is a positive sign, setting out to do nothing but grind a different matter.

January to May he got a free pass because of what he inherited but there were grumblings even then that if this continued when he wasn't piecing together a car crash he'd be questioned.

If we played like this because he said we were developing something, be it a system, youth players or a couple of prospects signed then fine. I don't have high expectations, bumbling along in eighth or ninth and having a go in the cups is enough for me so long as I can cling to the fantasy it's part of a journey.

Matches off the top of my head - Accies away v 10-men, Pittodrie and St Mirren at home this season - were (generously by accident, I think by design) three of the most appallingly negative Motherwell performances I have ever seen. Yet we won the first two and were unlucky to draw the third so fair enough.

But I just don't see his approach as sustainable for any length of time. If you boil it down to pass/fail, you need to sneak way more games than average (or remarkably string them four or five together in a cup) for it to be worth it and that just seems highly unrealistic to me. And as has been said multiple times, if results are your be all and end all, the second we hit a bad run, as every team does, the fans go tits and he's under massive pressure.

That's the main thing but when you then have team selections that seem picked as a tombola, his constant bookings and whining, giving out team news which must be verging on downright lies, I don't think it's a surprise he's tolerated rather than loved despite a record which is more than solid on paper. Oh and playing McGinley from August and still having him as your first choice left back after the January window is verging on being a sackable offence in itself!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we shitfest our way to Europe or - ha! - a cup under Alexander I'll be absolutely thrilled.

But giving him a contract extension when there was no need was mental, especially given we could well follow his usual pattern elsewhere of stabilization, stagnation and collapse....

It's not the style of football in itself I have a problem with, it's that his style of football is all he seems to aspire to. A good team grinding out results is a positive sign, setting out to do nothing but grind a different matter.

January to May he got a free pass because of what he inherited but there were grumblings even then that if this continued when he wasn't piecing together a car crash he'd be questioned.

If we played like this because he said we were developing something, be it a system, youth players or a couple of prospects signed then fine. I don't have high expectations, bumbling along in eighth or ninth and having a go in the cups is enough for me so long as I can cling to the fantasy it's part of a journey.

Matches off the top of my head - Accies away v 10-men, Pittodrie and St Mirren at home this season - were (generously by accident, I think by design) three of the most appallingly negative Motherwell performances I have ever seen. Yet we won the first two and were unlucky to draw the third so fair enough.

But I just don't see his approach as sustainable for any length of time. If you boil it down to pass/fail, you need to sneak way more games than average (or remarkably string them four or five together in a cup) for it to be worth it and that just seems highly unrealistic to me. And as has been said multiple times, if results are your be all and end all, the second we hit a bad run, as every team does, the fans go tits and he's under massive pressure.

That's the main thing but when you then have team selections that seem picked as a tombola, his constant bookings and whining, giving out team news which must be verging on downright lies, I don't think it's a surprise he's tolerated rather than loved despite a record which is more than solid on paper. Oh and playing McGinley from August and still having him as your first choice left back after the January window is verging on being a sackable offence in itself!

I will not argue with the style of football. I can count on one hand this season the games where I felt Motherwell actually played football or looked like they wanted too. 

But I was all in favour of him joining the club over Tommy Wright. He succeeded in us avoiding relegation which was a distinct possibility at the point he joined. He has also one 2 or 3 Manager of the month awards the only non old firm Manager to achieve that feat. He also garnered more points than anyone outside the Old Firm last year. Granted playing in bottom 6 skews that a little. 

My simple point is that by any measure he has been a big success. 

Results do matter. We could play all the nice football in the world and lose games. And the posts on here would be about how we should try and shit fest our way to winning a game, any game. 

I also don’t think we can afford a squad of footballers that can continually play attractive football and win game after game. The Premiership is a very competitive and quite brutal league. We need players that can look after themselves and can try to outmuscle the opposition. You do that and you have a chance of winning any game. 

Going by budgets and squads we would have little expectation to beat Aberdeen, let alone 3 times in one season. It may go against us tomorrow, but I fully expect a similar performance to the cup. Even Barry Robson has been saying the Dons need to win tomorrow. Does not need to be pretty. Just find a way to win.

Alexander on the whole has been quite good at that since he became our Manager 👏👏