Motherwell FC v Aberdeen FC Sat 19th Feb

Can the mighty make it 4 wins v Aberdeen in the one season. Have we ever done that before ? 

Will there be a 5th game between the sides ?

Will Van Veen strike terror into the hearts of the Dandy Dons and score a 5th or more of the season ? 

Will the Aberdeen Interim Management team see an upturn in fortunes ? 

Questions…Questions…

From a Motherwell point of view I would start the exact same team as in the Cup. I Would consider Lamie in for Ojala who started slowly in the Cup game and is clearly not 100% fit. My concern is that Alexander usually makes 3 or 4 changes for the hell of it 🤷‍♂️

I saw a stat somewhere that in recent past league / cup doubleheader’s it tends to be one win apiece. Let’s hope not. As good as the cup win was we desperately need to pick up league points to maintain top 6 challenge, especially with Rangers at Ibrox next up.

Only just realised Aberdeen can actually go above us if they win. Would rather that didn't happen, personally.

Edit- looking at the table, Aberdeen could conceivably be 4th or 9th come Saturday evening:lol: what a ridiculous league this season.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Really is a must win game. Then the 3 games against St Mirren, St Johnstone and Livingston will be very important (I'm already ruling out the Rangers game as  loss).

Again, mostly the same line up as the cup game. Van veen to get a hatrick this time in a 3-0 victory....

..or we end up losing 1-0.

The bald thug seemed to get a significant injury, not that he's been much of a factor thus far.

Keep on top of Ramirez, Ferguson and Barron and the rest will be OK, they'll be more worried about containing the Gallus Gullit.

Don't see a return for SOD unless he's got good in the past few days, I'd also support Lamie coming in and Carroll keeping his spot. Slattery better get a 90. Tierney could cause them trouble but I do think they'll be marginally tougher prospect than what we faced in the cup so I'd go for a more robust midfielder than Goss but think Grezza will give Donnelly the shout.

---------- Kelly ----------

Bevis - Sol - Lamie - Carroll

- Slattery - O'Hara - Shaw -

-- Efford -- KVV -- Shields --

Wouldn't it be delicious if we were responsible for getting Glass the boot and stopping Robson having any chance. I suppose that's why we're hatedTM.

24 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

With Woods, Brown and Gallagher all likely to miss this encounter then I'm feeling very encouraged that we can take three points back up to Aberdeen.

The law of averages says that a team as poor as Motherwell can't get lucky four times in a row.

I like your schtick.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The law of averages says that a team as poor as Motherwell can't get lucky four times in a row.

Irony of that

A team as poor as Motherwell got our manager a contract extension ...... your Billy big baws comment comes from renewed hope that your gaffer was punted and 3 of your team are ruled out.

The effrontery!

Looking forward to going one up inside 5 minutes again for the Bois to step onto the pitch in tears after our overzealous celebrations. I also await the, "it's only 5 minutes in, byrawaybigmanbut" shout.

On a final note, one of our own fans to go crying to the papers about his son getting injured and providing a photo of the injury which clearly is fake. 

#wetwipe generation.

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

With Woods, Brown and Gallagher all likely to miss this encounter then I'm feeling very encouraged that we can take three points back up to Aberdeen.

Instead of conceding the match, Aberdeen are going to play Joe Lewis, which is the same thing.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Irony of that

A team as poor as Motherwell got our manager a contract extension ...... your Billy big baws comment comes from renewed hope that your gaffer was punted and 3 of your team are ruled out.

The effrontery!

Our manager got a contract extension is the strangest shots fired I’ve seen for a while on here. 

KvV is either sublime or ridiculous.  Never an in-between.  Hopefully we keep Efford & Shields up alongside him as they'll do a lot of his running.

As said above, keeping the same XI seems like the easiest decision in the world for the manager (and his Aberdeen defeating contract extension...) but I would guess he'll make at least three changes because... well just because!

Here's hoping Ramirez is still in his wee huff from Glass being emptied and we can keep him quiet.  We'll need to keep tight to Barron as well, he looks a real prospect. 

If we get the first goal in this one, I'm confident we can keep it tight at the back (six at the back for the final half hour!) and even nick another down the other end.

Motherwell 2-0 Aberdeen.

Conventional wisdom is that we don't win both parts of a cup/league double header but we should be at least a bit confident of doing it this time around. If you take out the horror start on Saturday, where Ojala actually forgot how to play football for 15 mins, we caused Aberdeen quite a bit of trouble and could easily have added another goal. We should take a bit of heart from that and resist the temptation to f**k about with the forward line (or any part of the team) - Efford and Shields have more than earned another start and we obviously won't drop the most limited forward in Scotland.

One thing that has been glaringly obvious from the 3 games so far is that Aberdeen have some really good players that 100% aren't up for a physical battle of any sort, so it's important that - to use the technical term - we getting fucking rattled into them from the word go on Saturday and make it the type of game we prefer to play. If I was a Motherwell coach, I'd also be tempted to have Goss practicing in-swinging corners right on top of the keeper from now until Saturday.

We haven't kept many clean sheets recently - it would be nice to think we could try that for a change.

If weather reports are accurate then I think there is a fair chance this doesn't go ahead on Saturday. Heavy snow due to fall for most of Friday. Considering distance for away fans to travel then they might make an early decision to call it off. 

5 minutes ago, tonicg said:

If weather reports are accurate then I think there is a fair chance this doesn't go ahead on Saturday. Heavy snow due to fall for most of Friday. Considering distance for away fans to travel then they might make an early decision to call it off. 

First midweek available in March for the rearranged fixture gives Stubbs times to bed in his team and tactics I suppose