Motherwell vs Hibernian - Scottish Cup Quarter Final

On 07/03/2022 at 18:57, Les Cabbage said:

You able to get from Holytown to Motherwell easy enough?

An hour and 20 minute walk doesn’t appeal to me.

The aforementioned train from Waverly stops at Bellshill after Holytown. It's due in at 11.35.

There's one train from Bellshill to Motherwell that will get you here in time. It's due to leave Bellshill at 11.38.

Comparitevely, Holytown's probably the easiest to Google Map it to Fir Park, but you wanna risk it for a biscuit, may the odds ever be in your favour.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Does that include the Hibs support? emoji16.png
If not, we're going to have more of a support than I expected.

Haha aye just Motherwell fans, according to the email from the club this afternoon anyway. Same though, expected a poor turnout. Sounds like it'll be a smashing crowd though! 

10 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Haha aye just Motherwell fans, according to the email from the club this afternoon anyway. Same though, expected a poor turnout. Sounds like it'll be a smashing crowd though! 

I mean, around 9,000, fans is actually a decent turn out. If we have sold 5,000 tickets that more than most league games (around 3,500 to 4,000).

Unless you actually mean 5,000 total which would be only 1,000, Motherwell fans.

40 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I mean, around 9,000, fans is actually a decent turn out. If we have sold 5,000 tickets that more than most league games (around 3,500 to 4,000).

Unless you actually mean 5,000 total which would be only 1,000, Motherwell fans.

It means almost 5000 Motherwell fans. I mean as shite as we are at the moment we have probably never had only 1000 Motherwell fans in Fir Park and certainly not for a Cup 1/4 final where the ticket prices are decent. 

Including the circa 500+ for the unemployed or low income we have 5600 season ticket holders. Most home crowds have been over 4000 but you do wonder why there are always roughly 1000 season ticket holders missing. To answer my own Q. I know two - one who is older and is not going due to Covid still being a thing. Another who lives in Aberdeen and only makes the odd game. But still always seems to be less that there should be. I wonder how many of the ticket giveaways are being utilised ?

If Hibs have sold 3500-4000 and we have sold 4500-5000 then looking at 8000+ which is good going for a game on BBC. 

Anyway Motherwell. Just score the 1st goal and win. Don’t care how. Let’s get this season back on track 🙏

Out of curiosity I’ve done a bit of research on quarter final appearances for us because it feels like we’ve done pretty well in them in recent years.

We’ve won our last 5 quarter finals, the last one we lost was to Celtic in the Scottish cup 2019, we also lost on penalties to Aberdeen in the same season in the league cup.

Going back further we’ve won 10 of our last 12 and reached 10 semi finals in the past 7 years.

Not a bad record all in all

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

It means almost 5000 Motherwell fans. I mean as shite as we are at the moment we have probably never had only 1000 Motherwell fans in Fir Park and certainly not for a Cup 1/4 final where the ticket prices are decent. 

Including the circa 500+ for the unemployed or low income we have 5600 season ticket holders. Most home crowds have been over 4000 but you do wonder why there are always roughly 1000 season ticket holders missing. To answer my own Q. I know two - one who is older and is not going due to Covid still being a thing. Another who lives in Aberdeen and only makes the odd game. But still always seems to be less that there should be. I wonder how many of the ticket giveaways are being utilised ?

If Hibs have sold 3500-4000 and we have sold 4500-5000 then looking at 8000+ which is good going for a game on BBC. 

Anyway Motherwell. Just score the 1st goal and win. Don’t care how. Let’s get this season back on track 🙏

I have a free junior season ticket in the Cooper stand that is rarely used.  This must apply to others.

I will be flying to Barbados during this game.

BA provide Wi-Fi at a price but then I realised the BBC IPlayer doesn’t work abroad so I am going cold turkey.

I assume the talking points will be highlighted on this thread for me to read while I am consuming my first rum punch.

Missing the St Johnstone game too which is maybe a blessing.

4 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Out of curiosity I’ve done a bit of research on quarter final appearances for us because it feels like we’ve done pretty well in them in recent years.

We’ve won our last 5 quarter finals, the last one we lost was to Celtic in the Scottish cup 2019, we also lost on penalties to Aberdeen in the same season in the league cup.

Going back further we’ve won 10 of our last 12 and reached 10 semi finals in the past 7 years.

Not a bad record all in all

To extend it a wee bit further it's nine seasons out of 11 when you've made Hampden, I looked while ago when Hibs' record was mentioned.

It really is excellent. What do you put it down to? It's not uncommon a 'cup team' reaches a couple of semis or finals over a few years but over a decade the team will have been rebuilt on multiple occasions. And in Hibs case not always that well either on the basis of league position, though I guess being in the Championship at totally the wrong time skews that somewhat.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

To extend it a wee bit further it's nine seasons out of 11 when you've made Hampden, I looked while ago when Hibs' record was mentioned.

It really is excellent. What do you put it down to? It's not uncommon a 'cup team' reaches a couple of semis or finals over a few years but over a decade the team will have been rebuilt on multiple occasions. And in Hibs case not always that well either on the basis of league position, though I guess being in the Championship at totally the wrong time skews that somewhat.

It’s safe to say we’ve been fairly fortunate with draws, avoiding the old firm up to the semi final in every single cup other than the 2019 defeat to Celtic that I mentioned but I do suppose it’s fairly easy to take the credit away because you can only beat who you’re up against but in the most recent 10 cup campaigns from the start to the semi final (not including semi or final) we’ve only had to beat 8 top flight teams although bearing in mind we’ve been a lower league team ourselves for some of that.

That’s probably skewing it a little bit in terms of achievement though with the relegation and also the fact we’ve been drawn against teams that have gone on to be promoted from the championship a few times too (Dundee Utd, Dundee, possibly Killie this season) and those games are probably traditional banana skins.

It’d be amiss to suggest the favourable draws haven’t been a factor but if you also note the fact that we’ve never lost a cup game to a team from a league below us since losing to Raith Rovers in 2014 under Terry Butcher then we do deserve some credit in terms of our professionalism.

1 hour ago, tonicg said:

Does anyone know if any pubs near Fir Park are open from 11am? It’s been a while since we had a non-OF Sunday lunchtime kick off. 

The only one I know for definite is the David Cooper Bar being open for both Home and away fans. Someone else who is more knowledgeable about the pubs could help.

Edited by Phillips455