Darth Vader’s Cove v Luke Skywalker’s Bairns

15 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Perhaps a minor wobble with 3 draws. 9 wins before it so was always going to be difficult keeping that run going.

Thought we've just missed that ruthlessness in front of goal the last 2 and half games. It cost us a few points but we've avoided losses so I guess that's the positive. In fact we potentially haven't looked like losing any of the last 3. Last 15 minutes against Airdrie was the only threat

Big game for us this weekend. Really need to grind out a win. A draw minimum and I think that's how it might go. We'd then need to look at winning our next 3, Alloa (a), Peterhead (h), Clyde (h)

Yeah, a minor wobble, but a wee wobble nonetheless. Still on an unbeaten run so no illusions on this end that the bottles have completely crashed, but it did very much feel that Airdrie finished the stronger side in that game and looked the only team that was going to get a winner in the last quarter of the game. That we have gone and pumped Montrose whilst Cove failed to beat ten men, cutting the gap further, cranks up the pressure a wee bit, so it will be telling how Cove respond. A return to winning ways against Falkirk would hand the momentum back to the league leaders, for sure. As it stands, they have stalled a bit with the three draws. 

Big, big game for Cove, one that I'll definitely have an eye on for obvious reasons. 

Guest TedCrilly

I reckon Cove will be too strong for us on Saturday. A midfield of Yule, Fyvie and Vigurs should dominate the game with the front two not being as wasteful as Sammon last week. Tbh, if Cove want to win the league, they should be comfortably beating mid table sides at home.

I'd definitely be slotting Dixon back in for this one given ATS hasn't really impressed so far. Hopefully Morrison is fit enough for the bench. I'd stick Mills back in as well just because McKay is always liable to McKay, especially up against someone like Megginson. McGuffie isn't the answer to our midfield problems but given he scored and set one up against Alloa, I can't see him being dropped.

Mutch

Williamson Mills Watson Dixon McCann

Jacobs Telfer
McGuffie

Dowds Kabia

Subs: Martin, McKay, ATS, Hetherington, Ross, Nesbitt, Morrison, Griffiths, Ompreon

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah, a minor wobble, but a wee wobble nonetheless. Still on an unbeaten run so no illusions on this end that the bottles have completely crashed, but it did very much feel that Airdrie finished the stronger side in that game and looked the only team that was going to get a winner in the last quarter of the game. That we have gone and pumped Montrose whilst Cove failed to beat ten men, cutting the gap further, cranks up the pressure a wee bit, so it will be telling how Cove respond. A return to winning ways against Falkirk would hand the momentum back to the league leaders, for sure. As it stands, they have stalled a bit with the three draws. 

Big, big game for Cove, one that I'll definitely have an eye on for obvious reasons. 

We definitely missed an opportunity to take 3 points against a 10 men QP side on Saturday and Airdrie impressively took care of Montrose.  The pressure now mounts a bit more as you rightly say.

19 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I'd definitely be slotting Dixon back in for this one given ATS hasn't really impressed so far. Hopefully Morrison is fit enough for the bench. I'd stick Mills back in as well just because McKay is always liable to McKay, especially up against someone like Megginson. McGuffie isn't the answer to our midfield problems but given he scored and set one up against Alloa, I can't see him being dropped.

Mutch

Williamson Mills Watson Dixon McCann

Jacobs Telfer
McGuffie

Dowds Kabia

Subs: Martin, McKay, ATS, Hetherington, Ross, Nesbitt, Morrison, Griffiths, Ompreon

Agree with this team other than I would probably try Hetherington in the middle rather than McGuffie as I think we'll need to be less open in midfield and I'm curious to see if Rennie has actually managed to turn him into a player.

Ideally, of course, we'll have signed a Liam Craig by then and the question won't arise.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Interesting to see how we line up. Cove already talking about how they stop Griffiths in the press. 

The big hint…..don’t foul anybody 25 yards from goal.

On 16/02/2022 at 08:51, glasgow_bairn said:

I SEE THERES TO BE HEAVY SNOW ON FRIDAY MORNING/AFTERNOON. LETS HOPE THIS DOESNT AFFECT THE GAME.

Don’t know about anywhere else, but the BBC’s hyped “potentially 10cm to 30cm” came in at 2cm where I live, and not much more than that in the hill foots.

Don’t know about anywhere else, but the BBC’s hyped “potentially 10cm to 30cm” came in at 2cm where I live, and not much more than that in the hill foots.

I’d planned to travel up but it’s a long drive from the Clyde Valley with blustery snowy conditions south of Aberdeen so I suspect it may be unrealistic to travel….[emoji20]

39 minutes ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

Excited/scared about this one. Be interesting what our line up is . Big worry is our poor midfield. Cove have a few seasoned pros in midfield which could be our weakest link. Forget midfield and just punt it up to the strikers is the best plan!

This. 

On 15/02/2022 at 11:03, TedCrilly said:

I reckon Cove will be too strong for us on Saturday. A midfield of Yule, Fyvie and Vigurs should dominate the game with the front two not being as wasteful as Sammon last week. Tbh, if Cove want to win the league, they should be comfortably beating mid table sides at home.

I fancy us to take something. Mate of mine was at their game last week and said they were poor especially in midfield where he thought Vigors legs have gone 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I fancy us to take something. Mate of mine was at their game last week and said they were poor especially in midfield where he thought Vigors legs have gone

Fair assessment of our performance from your mate. We never moved it quick enough and it was far from our best home performance as of late although never looked like conceding. Previous week against Airdrie was better.

We were slow in midfield last week as Blair was playing wide right as Logan was out. CM was 3 defensively minded midfielders and QP camped in their own half after going down to 10 men.

Vigurs has never been blessed with pace and his lack of it frustrates me. He plays sitting midfielder / quarterback. Blair is our legs and Fyvie is our composed CM who keeps the ball moving. Fyvie can do everything Vigurs can and more but latter is Hartley's golden child.

Vigurs has some physicality and reads the game well but I'm not his biggest fan as you can tell.

We're short of a outright AM / number 10.

Edited by CoveRangers1922