Darth Vader’s Cove v Luke Skywalker’s Bairns

So, here we go. Can Falkirk finally get their act together and really give QP something to worry about (as well as giving Airdrie’s chances a major boost)?
As Greg Wallace said last week (and the week before that) “Cooking doesn’t get any tougher than this.”

I would imagine that Airdrie will be looking for FFC to win this……same goes for Montrose. We are so far adrift that our only realistic chance is to catch QP, as we are no threat to Airdrie or Montrose, and whoever finishes 4th has the Championship side to contend with.

The biggest potential draw for us would be to finish 4th and then face Yogi’s Fifers. In terms of attendance, that head to head would dwarf anything that the top flight v Championship is likely to come up with (unless Aberdeen implode).

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I would imagine that Airdrie will be looking for FFC to win this……same goes for Montrose. We are so far adrift that our only realistic chance is to catch QP, as we are no threat to Airdrie or Montrose, and whoever finishes 4th has the Championship side to contend with.

The biggest potential draw for us would be to finish 4th and then face Yogi’s Fifers. In terms of attendance, that head to head would dwarf anything that the top flight v Championship is likely to come up with (unless Aberdeen implode).

Aye, fair to say that'd be ideal, but a draw would be fine anawl, as long as we do our job in Peterheid. Just looking for Cove to drop points anywhere, really. They do seem to be wobbling and we finished the stronger the other week. Cut out your pishy midfield and get it up to that Kabia as often as possible, please. If Griffiths want to pick this game as the time he gets a nostalgia-inducing freekick, then that would be welcome, too. 

I think you're right, there's nae danger of Falkirk catching Cove or us, or even Montrose unless the arse really does fall out of them. All about trying to pip QP to that last playoff spot. They've a healthy GD advantage over you (wonder how that happened...) so that's as good as a point, too. With QP going to East Fife, you have to assume that the former Hampden dwellers will take all three points (regardless of the Ferguson killing result at Alloa) so Falkirk won't want to let that gap become 6 and GD. 

Anything other than a Cove win would be absolutely delightful, so best of luck. They're a good side, so you'll need it. Definitely winnable for yous, though. 

The same shoddy defending that was on show at Alloa and Cove won't be as wasteful. Unless we get a midfielder in to try n shore things up then I think Cove will run all over us. I think we'll score, with Dowds, Kabia, Griffiths, Morrison if he's fit, I think the top end of the pitch gets us goals most weeks now. Still think Cove will be too strong for us. 

A 2nd leg play off final at Dunfermline or Airdrie would inject some serious NBP in to Scottish football.

Of course we have no chance of catching Cove, even a win on Saturday and 3 points from our game in hand would still leave us 14 points behind with only 10 games to go. On current form (last 6 games - W3 D1 L2) we'd end up finishing on 52 points which is what Cove are already on right now.

At least the vast majority of those that started the last game against Cove will no longer be playing and we have a realistic target of finishing above Queens Park and building some momentum for the play offs. 

The same shoddy defending that was on show at Alloa and Cove won't be as wasteful. Unless we get a midfielder in to try n shore things up then I think Cove will run all over us. I think we'll score, with Dowds, Kabia, Griffiths, Morrison if he's fit, I think the top end of the pitch gets us goals most weeks now. Still think Cove will be too strong for us. 

They were pretty wasteful on Saturday (watched the game) but I agree I’d expect them to find our defence easier to navigate.
Key thing here is that our midfield do not drop back to support the defence as that will invite Cove into us.
We need to focus on a pressing game and take the pressure off the defence like we did in the second half at Alloa….

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

Are there any pubs near the ground? Its looks rather bleak apart form a Brewers Fayre type place along the road. 

Looking forward to knocking Cove off my list.

There is next to nothing within a couple of miles tbf. We have a Fanzone, a glorified portakabin, in the ground (far end past the home support turnstiles). It's open to home and away fans and is probably the best shout. Reasonably priced booze for Aberdeen standards.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

I think BTTS to score is a very good shout. Our defence has been solid; think we were 8 clean sheets in our 9 straight league wins before our recent 3 draws. In the latter 3 we've only conceded 1 from open play but with the four you mention and having watched you against Alloa, second half especially I think this will be our biggest test offensively for some time.

3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

There is next to nothing within a couple of miles tbf. We have a Fanzone, a glorified portakabin, in the ground (far end past the home support turnstiles). It's open to home and away fans and is probably the best shout. Reasonably priced booze for Aberdeen standards.

Is langdykes bar no good? First time visit for me too. If that’s no good the Wellington hotel at least looks like a place I can get a pint before the game? 

55 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

They were pretty wasteful on Saturday (watched the game) but I agree I’d expect them to find our defence easier to navigate.
Key thing here is that our midfield do not drop back to support the defence as that will invite Cove into us.
We need to focus on a pressing game and take the pressure off the defence like we did in the second half at Alloa….

We were wasteful to be fair and lacked a cutting edge in the final third.  Against Airdrie we created far more clearer cut chances than against QP but weren't ruthless and then conceded. Same story against Sons. Had plenty of chances to make it 3-1 in that game and then a sucker punch of a late pen.

Falkirk as of now seem susceptible to giving opposition chances but look like they have goals in them. 

Should make for a fascinating game. We'll want Shay Logan back for this one and our striking duo in form.

17 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, fair to say that'd be ideal, but a draw would be fine anawl, as long as we do our job in Peterheid. Just looking for Cove to drop points anywhere, really. They do seem to be wobbling and we finished the stronger the other week. Cut out your pishy midfield and get it up to that Kabia as often as possible, please. If Griffiths want to pick this game as the time he gets a nostalgia-inducing freekick, then that would be welcome, too. 

I think you're right, there's nae danger of Falkirk catching Cove or us, or even Montrose unless the arse really does fall out of them. All about trying to pip QP to that last playoff spot. They've a healthy GD advantage over you (wonder how that happened...) so that's as good as a point, too. With QP going to East Fife, you have to assume that the former Hampden dwellers will take all three points (regardless of the Ferguson killing result at Alloa) so Falkirk won't want to let that gap become 6 and GD. 

Anything other than a Cove win would be absolutely delightful, so best of luck. They're a good side, so you'll need it. Definitely winnable for yous, though. 

Perhaps a minor wobble with 3 draws. 9 wins before it so was always going to be difficult keeping that run going.

Thought we've just missed that ruthlessness in front of goal the last 2 and half games. It cost us a few points but we've avoided losses so I guess that's the positive. In fact we potentially haven't looked like losing any of the last 3. Last 15 minutes against Airdrie was the only threat

Big game for us this weekend. Really need to grind out a win. A draw minimum and I think that's how it might go. We'd then need to look at winning our next 3, Alloa (a), Peterhead (h), Clyde (h)

Edited by CoveRangers1922

14 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Is langdykes bar no good? First time visit for me too. If that’s no good the Wellington hotel at least looks like a place I can get a pint before the game? 

Never actually been to the Langdykes. The Wellington is more like a restaurant with a bar in it. Not pub like but would do the job.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

With our midfield, either MR thinks what we have is good enough (highly unlikely) or he simply hasn’t been able to get the sort of player he wants (more than likely).

We are now heading into the second half of February, and that is by any standards, way late in the day trying to fix the one glaring flaw in the side.

Having said that, it’s more an observation than a criticism. When MR took the reins, the defence was keystone cops, the midfield was a clown car,  and Keena and Ruth were major suspects in a sleight of Saturday afternoon robberies as neither could account for their whereabouts between 2pm and 5pm on any given Saturday.