10 years since old rangers admin

2 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

I don't think it is though. You have a massive fanbase, both here and in places with a hefty Scots diaspora. If Rangers had went down the route of a model similar to the Foundation of Hearts, then they would have had hundreds of thousands of supporters there to pump money in. If people like King, Alastair Johnston, Park and others had offered to put up the money in advance, and let the massive supporter base pay them back, it would have worked. They were nowhere to be seen at that point though. Instead you ended up with carpet-baggers posing as well-intentioned saviours. 

Some people need an all owning monarch like figure

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Pretty much from the moment Charles Green started talking to the press iirc. Started to claim he had bought all their assets and somehow tried to infer that meant the ‘club’ and the titles etc. The  attempt to TUPE everyone was a wild hope that it meant it would stick but in the end it saddled them ridiculously overpaid players for the league they were and a manager who was the highest paid in Scotland by some distance.

I seem to remember that their kit man was paid more than most managers.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

That is quite a large myth. To suggest there wasn't enough people worried enough to do something is disingenuous. The circumstances surrounding both clubs were vastly different and as your "run of the mill" fan, there is pretty much nothing I could've done that would've avoided anything that happened.

Your "run of the mill fan"* could have:

1. Not "demanded better", like you know, actual run of the mill fans who realise success isn't a right,

2. Questioned where the money was actually coming from to buy the likes of Flo,

3. Listened when a few voices were warning of financial troubles years before they finally died,

4. Dismissed the likes of Chris Graham (?) and Mark Dingwall as the ranting, stupid bigots they undoubtedly are/were, and perhaps most importantly,

5. Not dismissed any negative news coming from Ibrokes as some kind of p*pish, f****n, T**g conspiracy mounted through jealousy of the Glorious Queen's XI.**

*Is that the same as the "decent majority" who don't even know the words to any of those nasty songs?

** I would say RIP, but f**k'em. They were a disgraceful institution, and the fact that so many have colluded in the Big Lie either through fear of retribution or through pursuit of the Bloo (and Green) Poond is a disgraceful stain on the Nation.

Recent revelations that gid Fawkurk boay Martin Rennie not only rejected an advance from a preferred bidder to become Rangers manager at 36 years old, but also talked said character out of buying them has breathed new energy into the hilarity.

Makes me proud to be a Bairn again, to know that our gaffer made an enormous yet hitherto little known contribution to 10 years of hilarious fail.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Cheers for this.

I am curious, as I was at the time, about a lack of concerted effort to save the club from the fans. I understand that it was perhaps too big a task, but I think had there been an attempt at fundraising that ultimately failed then the myth that "you let your club die" would have had less substance to it.

Football fans are primarily emotional rather than rational (exhibit A, Partick Thistle have fans) and I would have expected a big fundraising effort to be part of the "bargaining" phase of this particular grief. That there wasn't one I found to be quite curious.

Am I talking shite though and just not remembering any?

"You let your club die" is always a good one to chuck at the bigots, as it gets a response every time - especially as they know the truth is more like

"You allowed David Murray to commence the EOL phase of your club's existence, without risking a penny of his own money, while worshipping him for bringing "world-class" talent to Govan and never questioning how a club in a backwater league could afford this".

Either way, funny as fúck, and will never get old.

"You let your club die" is always a good one to chuck at the bigots, as it gets a response every time - especially as they know the truth is more like
"You allowed David Murray to commence the EOL phase of your club's existence, without risking a penny of his own money, while worshipping him for bringing "world-class" talent to Govan and never questioning how a club in a backwater league could afford this".
Either way, funny as fúck, and will never get old.
They will not grow old as we who pay our taxes grow old.

At the going bust of the *** and in the morning, we will remember them.