10 years since old rangers admin

I’m a massive Kingsman fan and some say this scene was inspired by the Rangers shareholder meeting after the vote that effectively sealed their fate 😉

The rest of us sat back and reacted just like Merlin

Edited by Jinky67

I do have a certain sympathy for the argument that says Rangers fans wouldn't have been able to save the club in 2012.  The debt was so large and owed to the one body with the muscle to not do a deal, that the old club's fate was sealed.
That's not the same as saying I've any sympathy for Rangers fans though.  For the reasons outlined in WRK's excellent post, what happened was met with absolute glee by fans of other clubs.  The purchased 'success' had been greeted with such arrogant triumphalism.  The belt tightening had been greeted with demands based on 'deserving better'.  The descent was greeted with lashing out and warnings about 'sinking others'.  That's what made it so bloody joyous.
The 'journey' back also offered more hilarity than might have been expected, with defeats to tiny clubs, the big tax case finally going against them and a year's stalling in the second tier.
Genuine good came of it as well, with the demise of the SPL with its absurd financial distribution model, ground criteria, and 1 up; 1 down.
It was bound to end some time and that it has and the duopoly is back just provokes a shrug over its inevitability.
I'm delighted it ever happened though.  The SPL then SFL clubs' votes that summer were tremendous, with most (alas not all) clubs getting it right.
I am sorry, however, that title stripping never happened.  It absolutely should have.
It will be even funnier when they go under again.

The Zombies are making the exact same mistakes as Oldco.

15 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Agreed.

Blame for that decision lies with Stewart Milne and Aberdeen. Many fans would like to see Aberdeen get relegated and stay down there for a while.

We should not let Aberdeen fans forget that selfish decision that is a millstone around the necks of non-OF clubs.

Stewarty was only trying to stop the diddies by self harming again by doing something stupid like going with Setanta. 

Now shut up and laugh at Rangers

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It will be even funnier when they go under again.

The Zombies are making the exact same mistakes as Oldco.

I'm afraid not.

They might be living beyond their means a bit, but it's on nothing like the previous scale.  The EBT element was a huge feature of what unfolded a decade ago as well.

The trajectories are not really related at all.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm afraid not.

They might be living beyond their means a bit, but it's on nothing like the previous scale.  The EBT element was a huge feature of what unfolded a decade ago as well.

The trajectories are not really related at all.

Spoiler

j6uK36y32LxQs.gif.dc0b59273b27e8d22b6d2d714a2bccd0.gif

7 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

The only club that suffered attendance wise was Celtic, no? 

...Plenty teams won their first trophies as well, no? 

Was it not the most varied of cup winners for a while? 

Yes, the Armageddon stuff was utterly groundless.  Gates did not really suffer at all, apart from at their sister club. 

Until Rodgers, who was appointed because Rangers had eventually reached the top flight by then, trophies were better shared than they'd been in decades with some clubs bagging their first Cup in generations, while others secured their first ever.

The demise of Rangers dented Celtic and was directly good for our domestic game.

2012 Valentines day,
All Bears are hoping,
That despite all their troubles,
The big hoose wull stay open.

They look for a saviour,
One that fills all their needs,
Could it be Bomber Brown?
Shouting, "Show us the deeds".

All because the amazing Craig Whyte,
Despite thinking a prophet they'd found,
Sold off all future sales,
And spent just one pound.

But here comes Charles Green,
He'll save the club with no fuss.
Because if there's money to spend,
The fans say, "don't count on us".

Keen to defy the tax man,
Despite the big case to pay.
No one likes us, we don't care,
And we don't do walking away.

Yet despite their initial bravado,
When HMRC tell them no.
Rangers fans shout the loudest,
But don't cough up their dough.

Then comes the greatest of days,
Dreams we'd played out in our head.
Jim White on telly greeting,
The Rangers are dead.

All bigots in mourning,
Despite saying they did try.
We all know the truth,
You let your club die.

It wasn't put to us to vote for it. 

Just about every Aberdeen fan would tell you they fucking hate Milne for that. 

That's not the way most clubs work though. At Motherwell, the beauty of being a fan-owned club meant supporters who were members of the 'Well Society were allowed to vote to decide how the club voted on which division the new club were to be allowed into. It was nice to be involved in a bit of history [emoji3].

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Whatever happened to that money they raised through the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund?

Turns out they didn’t even raise that much 

Click

The Fund was launched on 14 March 2012 by Rangers legends Walter Smith and Sandy Jardine during the club's administration in order to raise funds to help protect the Club's future.[3][4] 

The Fund was endorsed by three of the largest Rangers fans groups, namely the Rangers Supporters' Trust, the Rangers Supporters Assembly and the Rangers Supporters Association.

[2] In September 2014, the Fund decided to withhold any payments to the club after requesting and failing to receive adequate assurances from the then Rangers board regarding its future plans[5] When the Rangers board agreed to grant Mike Ashley'sSport Direct company security over Rangers Training Centre and Ibrox Stadium in January 2015,[6] the Fund pledged £500,000 of its funding to support the Rangers Supporters' Trust's legal battle seeking to prevent the board from doing so.[7]

In February 2016, the Fund revealed plans to provide £450,000 to build a 264-seater stand at the Rangers Training Centre.[8] The stand was constructed in 2019.[9

Rangers B play in Dumbarton and that training ground isn’t easy to get to for most of their fans, so what’s the point of that stand?

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

The only club that suffered attendance wise was Celtic, no? 

This is why I can't stand their roaring greeting about away ticket allocations when they routinely rejected clubs appeals for more tickets in their half empty ground during this time. 

Plenty teams won their first trophies as well, no? 

Was it not the most varied of cup winners for a while? 

Then Rodgers came in and fucked it up. Freakshow arsehole that he is. 

I thought that was an opportunity missed to improve relations with the other clubs by not just giving more tickets to away fans, but better tickets. 

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mind the tabloids were running full back pages claiming that, at minimum, half of the SPL clubs would be dead within weeks after Rangers died.

For clarity, here is the full list of clubs that died, which I will list in alphabetical order:

Rangers

It was the St.Mirren chairman who suggested it 

Clicky

The SPL’s broadcast deals look set to be renegotiated now Rangers are no longer in the top flight so league chiefs are predicting a huge drop in income.

He said: “Clubs were expecting to receive their commercial income as per normal in the first week in August but, with the way things are shaping up, that’s not going to be there

“If you asked me whether a handful of clubs could be placed into administration by the end of August then I’d have to say it was very feasible.

But Gilmour is still baffled at why SFL outfits moved the goalposts for historic change in our game by reusing to allow Charles Green’s club into Division One.

He said: “This is uncharted territory for the SPL, I honestly don’t know what’s being put on the table on Monday.

“I don’t think many people know where they are with it.